Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Pi Zero/ZeroW experience as a plex client with rasplex?

jayt80jayt80 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 72 Plex Pass

Hi there,

Just wanted anyone's feedback who is using a Pi Zero or Zero W with Rasplex?

How are you finding it? Any issues with playback or menu options?

Thanks,

JT.

Answers

• benjaminwolfbenjaminwolf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 970 Plex Pass

Built in WiFi is underpowered for HD content. It's a little slow, but other than that it works fine.

• jayt80jayt80 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 72 Plex Pass

@benjaminwolf said:
    Built in WiFi is underpowered for HD content. It's a little slow, but other than that it works fine.

Thanks @benjaminwolf - Could you be more specific? Does it skip frames, buffer etc? Say with a 10gig MKV file what sort of result should I expect. Is this the same experience with using the original zero with a dongle?

• sam3sam3 Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited April 29

I've had a play with libreElec and rasplex on the pi zero w. It seems to play back high bit-rate files fine on its built in wifi (1080p 11+mbps video 16GB file); though i was testing it in the room above my router.
    The menu's are a little slow but acceptable. Dts and ac3 passthrough work fine - my only issue is when passthrough is not enabled. When the pi zero has to transcode dts (to stereo etc) it can max out the cpu usage causing the odd stuttering.
    It seems to do this too when dts passthrough is enabled and you try playing back a file with dtshd (so thr rpi has to extract the dts core from the dtshd file).

I'm hoping there's an option somewhere in rasplex where you can force PMS to handle all audio transcoding :(