Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

LG 42LW5600 3d medialink vs dlna

jjrchrdsjjrchrds Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Okay so here is my issues:

1. 3D videos play in media link, with audio, but I can't get any 3d options
2. in DLNA I can play 3d videos and it works, but don't get any audio

What are my options here?

Also, if I have optical out, would the audio then work in DLNA?

Comments

• lgtclgtc Posts: 474Members
    edited May 2011
    1) 3D is currently not supported in Medialink. I don't ahve an ETA.

2) Is it DTS? Not supported with media files. Currently our license doesn't cover decoding DTS in media files.

Stick with DD or PCM when encoding.

It still wouldn't work with optical.
  • jjrchrdsjjrchrds Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

1) 3D is currently not supported in Medialink. I don't ahve an ETA.

2) Is it DTS? Not supported with media files. Currently our license doesn't cover decoding DTS in media files.

Stick with DD or PCM when encoding.

It still wouldn't work with optical.

Any idea if the license for dts will be acquired?
    I sure don't. I know R&D is on-board with it. I'm not sure what the hold-up is.
    3D medialink support should be released next week. The current beta firmware has it. As long as there are no problems found in the beta, they will release it in a few days.
  • cjbottarocjbottaro Posts: 29Members

3D medialink support should be released next week. The current beta firmware has it. As long as there are no problems found in the beta, they will release it in a few days.

Sorry to hijack, but will the software update address all these other issues (not being able to select audio/subtitle tracks in Medialink)? I can provide sample video if needed. The sample video works perfectly in Plex for OSX, i.e. I can select audio and subtitle tracks as expected.
    Yes, please provide a sample video. I can PM an ftp addy if you don't have a place to upload it.
  • RockStarRockStar Posts: 2,027Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

wooooohooooo! great news amigo! thanks for the heads up! the lack of it was holding me back but now im running out of excuses not to buy a new set!
    RockStar wrote:

wooooohooooo! great news amigo! thanks for the heads up! the lack of it was holding me back but now im running out of excuses not to buy a new set!

This is great, great news. If you need a beta tester in Canada for anything at all. Let me know. I want my tv to be the king!

Thanks!
    edited May 2011
    I can tell you how to download betas if you have an LG service remote.

There's a setting you change in the service menu. But it's not worth buying a remote just for that. If you know a TV tech, they probably have one you can borrow. There used to be a way to get to it with the user remote, but they removed that this year.

I can tell you how to download betas if you have an LG service remote.

There's a setting you change in the service menu. But it's not worth buying a remote just for that. If you know a TV tech, they probably have one you can borrow. There used to be a way to get to it with the user remote, but they removed that this year.

LG could always send me one, I'm also a flash, as3 developer, I was going to look into what kind of apps can actually run on this.
    Is there anywhere I can vote, or do something to push for DTS. My entire collection is DTS and its quite a let down that it isn't supported.
  • Birdie3Birdie3 Posts: 2Members
    edited May 2011
    Hey Nick is the 3d for media link update done via lg software/firmware update of plex update? also any news on exact date of update availability? Thanks man.
  • krazzerkrazzer Posts: 22Members

This is so very awesome :)
    alison3 wrote:

Hey Nick is the 3d for media link update done via lg software/firmware update of plex update? also any news on exact date of update availability? Thanks man.

The update is for the TV. I didn't have to update my PMS.

They is no release date on this update. It will be released when they it passes all of tests and approvals.

It will automatically pop-up when it's available. But, there's a manual search in the support menu.
  • nicofieunicofieu Posts: 84Members
    Hi

any news on the DTS support ?

I mean, I'm really willing to buy an LG TV with Media Link for my bedroom but ALL my movie files are in DTS audio because of my surround sound installation and no DTS support on the Media Link, well it's useless for me...

Thank you
  • lmiyarlmiyar Posts: 2Members
    I have a logitech harmony with the service code. Is there any beta that enables DTS?
  • wilsonlam97wilsonlam97 Posts: 33Members
    Luis Miyar wrote:

I have a logitech harmony with the service code. Is there any beta that enables DTS?

Nick said in another post that DTS is enabled in the latest beta. Its being released as a stable build on Sept.9 worldwide I believe.
    nicofieu wrote:

Hi

any news on the DTS support ?

I mean, I'm really willing to buy an LG TV with Media Link for my bedroom but ALL my movie files are in DTS audio because of my surround sound installation and no DTS support on the Media Link, well it's useless for me...

Thank you

DTS is being added to the st600 and blu-ray players starting soon. I was told, only next year's TVs would have it.
  • dimitris74dimitris74 Posts: 7Members

DTS is being added to the st600 and blu-ray players starting soon. I was told, only next year's TVs would have it.

nick

told them that will not have any customers for the LG 2012 series.
    last year the say that 2011 series will get dts support.
    this year they say the same about 2012 series
    wont get fooled again

is it so hard to release a firmware with dts passthrough via optical or hdmi? my 4 year old popcornhour a100 does it.
  • paunwowpaunwow Posts: 4Members

Hopefully, this is a miscommunication because it flies in the face of what we've been told, and are therefore expecting, for what out TVs are capable of. If this is the case, then great! We'll all be overjoyed once the firmware drops that enables the TV to support DTS. If not, then this is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Let me paint you a picture why this is so.

Your customers who buy the Medialink enabled TVs are the type who are willing to spend to have what they perceive as the best. </Hats off to LG> They have done the research regarding the TV and, most likely, have done the research on what the highest quality method of encoding that their files should be. The video portion (h264 or some variant) is covered beautifully. Of course, since they have used the best codec for the video they will want to have the same level of quality for their audio, so will they use Dolby Digital? Extremely unlikely. These customers are savvy enough to know that DTS is going to be by far a better solution. Not only that, but you, yourself, pointed out the very large problem that we won't be able to avoid, "There are many new blu-ray movies now that no longer include a Dolby version of the English audio" and "new movies will have everything Dolby, except the English version of the audio." : Nick - LG Training < http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/29227-dts-pass-through/page__view__findpost__p__193129 >

In light of all this, how can DTS support for current Medialink TVs be left out? If this is planned obsolescence, it is truly sickening. TVs are not to be bought and then discarded year in and year out. Features that can be implemented in current hardware should not be dangled like treats with the intention of forcing customers into another costly purchase. This won't engender any loyalty. Owners will freely share on whether a company listens to its userbase and treats them fairly or not with family and friends through social networking sites. Please let the appropriate people know that they can stop what might become a debacle and instead be made into a right decision.

Thank you for your time.