If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Any ETA on a Linux client?

djhomelessdjhomeless Posts: 24Members
Howdy All,
Been ages since I've lurked about. Long story short, used to be a fervent Plex user - had a serious long drink of the Kool Aid - but sadly the relationship came to a screeching halt when I had to part ways with my Mac Mini. As money was tight, I had to switch to Linux and I've been *languishing* on Boxee ever since.

Anyway, back on topic, since I'm a few versions out of date the whole separation of client/server is totally new (but exciting) to me. It's a great architectural direction - but I'm wondering if anyone could guestimate when a Linux client will be out of alpha? My media server is pretty kick ass, and while I have many "clients" in my house that are now enjoying delicious Plex goodness, the most important client is my TV. ;)

Glad to be back everyone, sorry just eager for the day when I can finally kick Boxee to the curb. Can't hold a candle to Plex...

Geoffrey

Comments

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,098Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Hello good sir. I can't say that I know everything, far from it. But I must say I have not heard of any of the developers saying that a Linux client is on the way. Only the server, and the first beta of the server is out already. But I must say that I do not *think* that a client for Linux is on the way. Not yet at least.
     Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page
  • djhomelessdjhomeless Posts: 24Members
    Drats - well I'm thankful the server is here at least. Just a bummer to have to be shackled to Boxee. ;(
  • jowljowl Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    While I haven't heard of a Linux client......it's surely what's in LG's SmartTV's. ?
  • FevidaFevida Posts: 67Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Although I'd love to see a Plex-client for linux to, I don't think developing such a client is a priority at Plex HQ at this moment......

In the meanwhile PleXBMC is the next best thing on Linux:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/22893-plexbmc-and-plexbmc-nfo-exporter/

For now this works for me, having a linux-box connected to my TV in the living-room. When I have so cash to spare I'll replace it with a mac-mini running Plex.

Plex Media Player preview on: Intel NUC
    Plex for iOS on: iPad mini 3 & iPhone 6s
    Plex Media Server on: unRAID

• ylafontylafont Posts: 42Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I asked the same question a few months ago and the answer was that they are not in development.     Something I can't understand and forced me to use XBMC  as the client for my media center box. I still have Plex server installed and use it for remote client (Andriod and IOS). I also found using the PleXMBC client was not worthwhile - just point XBMC to the media files and your are done.

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    ylafont wrote on March 17 2013, 1:35 AM: »

I asked the same question a few months ago and the answer was that they are not in development.     Something I can't understand and forced me to use XBMC  as the client for my media center box. I still have Plex server installed and use it for remote client (Andriod and IOS). I also found using the PleXMBC client was not worthwhile - just point XBMC to the media files and your are done.

This is a 2 year old thread.  A linux client has been in testing with PlexPass users for several months now.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3
  • puithovepuithove Posts: 407Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Trudge wrote on March 17 2013, 4:37 AM: »

This is a 2 year old thread.  A linux client has been in testing with PlexPass users for several months now.

... and it's working quite well.  I've switched my Mac Mini clients over to the linux version.  Couldn't be happier.

• mxdogmxdog Posts: 4Members

If it is working ...where is it ?

• TrudgeTrudge Gone off to greener pastures.... Posts: 9,360Members ✭✭✭
    mxdog wrote on April 6 2013, 4:56 AM: »

If it is working ...where is it ?

available in the PlexPass forums, for PlexPass subscription holders.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
    Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
    Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
    Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
    Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3
  • chrisbrnschrisbrns Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass

@ plex ninja, could you be so kind and share a link? I am having issues finding such instructions for download in forums. Thx!

• AstralisAstralis Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    chrisbrns wrote on July 22 2013, 12:53 AM: »

@ plex ninja, could you be so kind and share a link? I am having issues finding such instructions for download in forums. Thx!

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/57542-ubuntu-ppa/ or

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/54497-build-plexht-from-source/

• balkybalky Posts: 123Members ✭✭

hmmm....

no plexpass no plex linux client...

no plexpass no plex server on freebsd...

I currently use the plex client on my ios and android devices, all duly paid for, so I'm not just a cheapo hunting for free software...and like the guy said above, I just point XBMC (running on linux BTW) to the media files and that was it...

In some time to come, the list of no plexpass no this or that will reach a stage where alternatives will begin to spring up... and you will be surprised at how fast that can happen...

• atrusatrus Posts: 11,098Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    balky wrote on July 25 2013, 2:09 PM: »

hmmm....

no plexpass no plex linux client...

no plexpass no plex server on freebsd...

I currently use the plex client on my ios and android devices, all duly paid for, so I'm not just a cheapo hunting for free software...and like the guy said above, I just point XBMC (running on linux BTW) to the media files and that was it...

In some time to come, the list of no plexpass no this or that will reach a stage where alternatives will begin to spring up... and you will be surprised at how fast that can happen...

It will be released when it is more done. Coming here threatening the devs that people will not accept Plexpass is however not particularly the right way to go.

 Mac mini 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (With Fusion drive) (PM score: 7347)  Panasonic VT50 (55 inch)  Pioneer VSX-2021 Receiver  Norco 24-bay NAS (CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 3,4GHz, PM score: 9300) 
    New to Plex/Nine? Watch my screencast video (slightly out-dated nowadays, but still informative for new users)
    Want to know how to handle subtitles? Watch my subtitle screencast video (out-dated, but still informative), and this One Minute Subtitle Addendum screencast
    Always attach log files if you are reporting an issue: Log file info & location
    Get Plex guides here: Howto name your files NAS guide Troubleshooting Plex Support Page

Totally didn't mean it that way, if that is how it got across...

Many people will definitely accept the plexpass option, while many others will not...

The teaser "we have it working and only plexpass subscribers can download" is probably not the best way to market plexpass either...

But to each his own...

• ziggimonziggimon Plex Dev Team AarhusPosts: 2,444Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited July 2013
    balky wrote on July 25 2013, 4:46 PM: »

Totally didn't mean it that way, if that is how it got across...
    Many people will definitely accept the plexpass option, while many others will not...

The teaser "we have it working and only plexpass subscribers can download" is probably not the best way to market plexpass either...
    But to each his own...

To be honest about the PHT client. And not bringing in PlexPass sales tactics into this, it's really not ready for a public release, there is so much more work in getting the client up to an acceptable standard, that most users would switch back to the old Leika client. Just 3 weeks ago all the network code that comes from XBMC was ripped out and replaced, so it's far from stable and full of bugs. I can completely understand the need and passionate wishes for a working Linux client, but it would in my opinion be better with a good solid client over a bad start with a lot of negative experiences to come with it.

I know its a long beta period, but from how I have seen it being approached it will, once out, provide the devs with an opportunity to pull upstream fixes and provide new releases without having to redo all the code every time. This is going to be the plex media center client done right.

And I have to add that its awesome to have a community with users that keep asking, and contributing to make plex stride towards a better experience on Linux.

/Mark
    Get you Plex guides here: Naming Guide, NAS Guide, NTFS on Linux Guide, Linux Permissions Guide, Logs & Library Maintenance Help, Plex Help Page.

My Plex world:
    Primary PMS: NAS - 24 bay Inter-Tech 4324L, Xeon E3-1230v2, SuperMicro X9SCM-F, 800GB SSD, Enough Spinning Storage
    HTPC/EyeTV: Mid 2011 Mac Mini 4GB RAM 60GB Vertex SSD, 50" Kuro
    Clients: Hackintosh - i7 3770K, 27" CinemaDisplay, 15" rMBP, ATV4, Roku3, iPhone 6 64GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB, riPad mini 32GB, Intel NUC DN2820FYKH, Asus Chromebox, RPI2, RPi3

Can't be better said...

Thanks for the great / mature input...

In the meanwhile... we're waiting... :D