If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] TGC (The Great Courses) Metadata Agent

bubonic314bubonic314 Posts: 24Members ✭✭

Hello-

If you're like me and have a large collection of The Great Courses that you have downloaded, you would like there to be a metadata agent for these. Well, a while back I wrote code using urllib, BeautifulSoup and dryscrape to pull series summary, lecture titles, lecture descriptions, lecturer/professor, episode dates, ratings, fanart and poster art and was manually copying and pasting the data into my series. After a few times of doing this, I figured that I should spend the time to code a PLEX Agent for TGC. So I did. This has been tested only on Ubuntu 15.10 running the PLEX media server. No information on other systems is currently available.

The TGC.bundle https://github.com/bubonic/TGC.bundle that I ended up with doesn't use the PLEX HTMLparser API or the JSON API, but instead I did a quick hack of the code I had already written using urllib and BeautifulSoup and inserted this into my Agent. Thus, full compatibility is still a ways off, so we will call this a BETA release of the TGC Agent. It pulls everything but rating; adding incremental dates from the day of series addition so that after a lecture is watched the new one will appear in the On Deck portion of PLEX.

Even though my agent pulls lecturer/professor metadata from TGC website, I am still having issues populating episode.writers and episode.directors. I tried various means of populating this data to no avail. So if anyone has any insight as to what I need to do to get this populated please chime in. Right now I have:

episode.directors.clear()
                            episode.writers.clear()
                            episode.directors.add(lecturer)
                            episode.writers.add(lecturer)

The old documentation I found said this was a Set object, which I interpreted in various ways (i.e., as a Set object, as a string, as a list, so on and so forth). I even set these values to different types of objects containing the lecturer/professor data, however nothing seemed to work.

The rating was pulled using dryscrape which I believe is incompatible with the restricted PLEX python library. So that code has been commented out for now. Please carefully read the instructions on how to get the TGC Agent working for you. I will include the README.md from the git repository here for completeness.

TGC.bundle

Requirements

For now, this PLEX Agent requires urllib/urllib2 and BeautifulSoup to run. Please have these installed in your python set-up.

INSTALL

Download the complete contents of this git project (git clone) and copy the bundle (TGC.bundle) to your PLEX plug-ins directory.

The appropriate plug-ins directory can be found on the PLEX website (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201106098-How-do-I-find-the-Plug-Ins-folder-)

Be sure to restart the PLEX server after copying the Agent plug-in.

Usage

Rename your course to filenames of the type:

FULL COURSE NAME S01E## Some Text.ext

where E## is the lecture number. The Full Course name should be taken from TGC website.
The files must be renamed properly for this Agent to pull the data from TGC website.

Example:

Games People Play: Game Theory in Life, Business, and Beyond S01E01 The World of Game Theory.mp4

or

Change and Motion: Calculus Made Clear, 2nd Edition S01E10 Blah.avi

Next:

Create a TV Shows Library in PLEX and set the primary agent to TGC. i.e.,

Add directories individually (not directories of directories) to your library. i.e.,

That should do the trick.

There remains a few minor bugs in this code which made me reluctant to release it, but no code is perfect. I'm very busy with multiple projects, but I will try to keep this updated whenever things change. Also, I have a TODO list for this Agent that is on the git repository and I do have ambitions to see them through, time permitting.

With that said:

Enjoy!
-bubonic

Comments

• ZeroQIZeroQI Posts: 1,203Members ✭✭✭

Yeah it changed and undocumented. Only way is to analyse the recent agent code...
    I have code to read values and only update if needed shall you require, if not this shall suffice:

episode.directors.clear()
    meta_role = episode.directors.new()
    meta_role.name = 'name' # role name
    meta_role.role = None # actor name
    meta_role.photo = None #url of actor photo

Absolute Series Scanner (ASS): Seasons+Absolute mode series scanner managing subdirectories and AniDB type specials,with a logging off all files (skipped on top of root folder, then sorted one line per file with regex used and info, all series sorted alphabetically) and one with the filelist to reproduce the library on my end with dummy files. It also add all files and recognise specials pretty accurately.

http AniDB Metadata Agent (HAMA): Some good info there, will have to re-write it at some point... Data folders are kinda mandatory... Huge libraries can fetch 10gb in space. If you have no poster but other metadata is showing, create "Plug-in Support/Data/com.plexapp.agents.hama/DataItems" agent folders as indicated in the readme on GitHub

Impressed by the agent recognition rate? Consider donating few euros through Paypal: Absolute Series Scanner + HTTP AniDB Metadata Agent. (Donators: xnaas, Sven-7, Niegen, Vorador, Fratal, T. Mayville,  A. Estremera, KJKingJ. Thanks guys)

• bubonic314bubonic314 Posts: 24Members ✭✭

Beside the old documentation, I was looking at a git clone of TheTVDB Agent; must have been older code. Anyway, that did the trick. How exciting. Thank you very much!

https://github.com/ZeroQI/Hama.bundle/releases/download/Beta/Hama.bundle.2017-05-02.01h37.zip
    Have a look at the code if you wish, really funky stuff in there ;)
    Am glad it solved for you

Absolute Series Scanner (ASS): Seasons+Absolute mode series scanner managing subdirectories and AniDB type specials,with a logging off all files (skipped on top of root folder, then sorted one line per file with regex used and info, all series sorted alphabetically) and one with the filelist to reproduce the library on my end with dummy files. It also add all files and recognise specials pretty accurately.

http AniDB Metadata Agent (HAMA): Some good info there, will have to re-write it at some point... Data folders are kinda mandatory... Huge libraries can fetch 10gb in space. If you have no poster but other metadata is showing, create "Plug-in Support/Data/com.plexapp.agents.hama/DataItems" agent folders as indicated in the readme on GitHub

Impressed by the agent recognition rate? Consider donating few euros through Paypal: Absolute Series Scanner + HTTP AniDB Metadata Agent. (Donators: xnaas, Sven-7, Niegen, Vorador, Fratal, T. Mayville,  A. Estremera, KJKingJ. Thanks guys)

edited May 2

https://github.com/ZeroQI/Hama.bundle/releases/download/Beta/Hama.bundle.2017-05-02.01h37.zip
    have a look, you might find nice functions in there... Like the impricated dict functions, allowed me to make shorter code with less tests... Let me know if you miss other info or stuff i may be able to help...
    Bubonic314... Hence the black pi ;)

Niice! That code is pretty dense and might take me a little while to go through it all. However, at first glance there is a lot I can use in here that is really high quality code. UpdateMeta and other things in common.py should provide me with the tools for future releases. Not to mention your GetMetadata functions. This is a treasure for anyone developing a PLEX agent.

• tramp78tramp78 Posts: 73Members ✭✭
    edited July 21

First off, I can't thank you enough for this. I even signed up for Reddit just to thank you THERE. Bravo, Kudos, seriously, geebus this is great.

I've been going through this all day against a library and this is what I have found out so far.

I don't have urllib/urllib2 and BeautifulSoup and if I do I am unaware of it. Just a standard PLEX server install.
    **It works just fine. **

The files themselves can be named:
    S01E01 - text
    S01E02 - text
    You don't need the name of the lecture in front of the S0xE0x and once you see below you will be glad.

You DO need the name of the lecture as the folder name and it needs to be the exact text as it reads in the URL, not the lecture name. For example...

African Experience from "Lucy" to Mandela - won't work
    African Experience from Lucy to Mandela - won't work
    African Experience from quot Lucy quot to Mandela - works just fine. This is how the lecture is written out in the URL.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/african-experience-from-quot-lucy-quot-to-mandela.html

Other examples include:
    Experiencing America A Smithsonian Tour through American History - won't work despite the fact that it is the title
    Experiencing America A Smithsonian Tour through History - does work because that is what the URL is.

Some lectures have words like "World's" spelled "worlds" in the URL. Remote the apostrophe and it works.
    Upper and lower case words don't seem to matter. But if you put all lower case as the URL says, you will get a lower case name in PLEX and will need to either change the folder name or edit the metadata title. I prefer the folder. Do it once and that's it.

Best suggestion is to give it a go and see what it can't find. They will fall into four types.

1. Audio lectures. If you any OLD lectures that either came out before TTC started producing video versions (yeah, I've been collecting them that long) or if you have any audio versions because you haven't been able to track down the video versions, you will have to load these in as Music and add your own art and descriptions for now until bubonic314 in his amazing and generous wisdom decides to do a version for music as well. Not that big a need since a LOT of the audio only lectures no longer exist.
    2. Discontinued Video lectures. If you have any of the old VHS based lectures that TTC discontinued years ago, you will have to add your own art and metadata.
    3. Single lecture demos. TTC sends out demos from time to time to judge the marketablility of a topic and the skill of the professor. Some eventually become real lectures. Most don't. Same as above you will have to come up with your own art and metadata for these. Or don't include them. I don't honestly know why I do.
    4. Stuff that has the wrong name for the lecture title in the folder. I have yet to find a lecture that it won't locate as long as you give it the specific text of the title in the URL. Really.

If you have recent stuff - stuff that is all currently for sale and on their website - you can get it loaded up just fine if you do as I did above.

Again, thanks to bubonic314, whoever you are. So far I have loaded in history, art, music, better living and and working on literature/language and it is going just fine.

@bubonic314 it will replace my normal agent code on github soon. I went overkill but didn't want to update field unless needed and am coding a log per series in agent data folder now that include scanner logs... I loved the dict functions can don't throw errors if the fields don't exist... Thanks for the kind words, I really appreciate that as a coder... It took ages to get it there to this point, but somebody could just create a module file and modify slightly the init.py to get started and have great logs :D

Updated Code

I have updated TGC.bundle in the git repository. The new update includes:

• Course description is now the full course description found on TGC website and formatted accordingly.
    • Fuzzy lecture course matching via the SearchCourse() method when urllib receive a 404 Not found from initial course URL formatting.

As mentioned by @tramp78 if you name your directories (or files) specific to what shows up in the course URL, it will always match the lectures exactly and pull all relevant data for that course. However, I like the presentation of the course names found on the TGC website to show up on PLEX, which contains commas, colons and quotes and the like. The new update allows for you to name your directories or files with these course names as it will filter out the unnecessary data and find a match to the course URL on TGC website.

My new SearchCourse() method allows for fuzzy matching of courses. For an example consider the course:

Conquest of the Americas

If your directory or lecture files is named, for whatever reason, Conquest of America S01E01.mkv the following logs show what the new method does:

2017-05-12 20:42:53,373 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:386) - metadata.title: Conquest of America 2017-05-12 20:42:53,373 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:398) - update() CourseURL: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/conquest-of-america.html 2017-05-12 20:42:54,420 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:417) - courseURL not found... Searching for related courses: Conquest of America 2017-05-12 20:43:00,253 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: 1066: The Year That Changed Everything 2017-05-12 20:43:00,254 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: Conquest of the Americas 2017-05-12 20:43:00,254 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:327) - Match found for: Conquest of America 2017-05-12 20:43:00,254 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:328) - Title found is: Conquest of the Americas 2017-05-12 20:43:00,255 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:329) - Link is: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/conquest-of-the-americas.html 2017-05-12 20:43:00,279 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:334) - Finding best match... 2017-05-12 20:43:00,279 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:337) - Span length for is: 23 2017-05-12 20:43:00,279 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:342) - CourseTitle is: Conquest of the Americas 2017-05-12 20:43:00,280 (7f1f89ffb700) : INFO (__init__:343) - CourseURL is: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/conquest-of-the-americas.html

Or in an example by @tramp78 something that contains a apostrophe (and is dear to me >:) ), i.e.,

The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague S01e17 Plague Saints And Popular Religion.m4v

The course URL is: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-black-death-the-worlds-most-devastating-plague.html
    A lot of times the course URL will place World's as world-s- and my formatting usually edits it that way. Let's see what the log looks like:

2017-05-13 00:51:59,642 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:386) - metadata.title: The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague 2017-05-13 00:51:59,642 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:398) - update() CourseURL: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-black-death-the-world-s-most-devastating-plague.html 2017-05-13 00:52:02,322 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:417) - courseURL not found... Searching for related courses: The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague 2017-05-13 00:52:13,928 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:320) - Locating search results... 2017-05-13 00:52:13,928 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague 2017-05-13 00:52:13,928 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:327) - Match found for: The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague 2017-05-13 00:52:13,929 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:328) - Title found is: The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague 2017-05-13 00:52:13,929 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:329) - Link is: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-black-death-the-worlds-most-devastating-plague.html 2017-05-13 00:52:13,929 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: An Economic History of the World since 1400 2017-05-13 00:52:13,930 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: (Set) The Black Death & Late Middle Ages 2017-05-13 00:52:13,930 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: (Set) The Black Death & Medieval World 2017-05-13 00:52:13,931 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: (Set) The Black Death & The Guide to Essential Italy 2017-05-13 00:52:13,931 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: (Set) The Black Death & The Great Tours: Experiencing Medieval Europe 2017-05-13 00:52:13,931 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:324) - Title: (Set) The Black Death & Story of Medieval England 2017-05-13 00:52:13,932 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:334) - Finding best match... 2017-05-13 00:52:13,932 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:337) - Span length for is: 52 2017-05-13 00:52:13,932 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:342) - CourseTitle is: The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague 2017-05-13 00:52:13,932 (7f7f93fff700) : INFO (__init__:343) - CourseURL is: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/the-black-death-the-worlds-most-devastating-plague.html

As you can see it found the correct URL.

In short, you don't have to follow the naming scheme of the course URL anymore, TGC.bundle now does all that based off of the Course Lecture name. Thanks to @tramp78 for recognizing that if you follow the URL naming scheme all is well.. that is the full proof way of making sure this works; but, it is nice to have the formatting of the full course lecture name as your "Show" name in PLEX.

Thanks to @tramp78 and @ZeroQI for their input and help.

Download

TGC.bundle

Seems to work fine. Analyze each library to re-download the new formatted Course Descriptions. Haven't tried changing the folder names but what I have done is leave the folder names the same as the URL and edit the name in PLEX and lock it. Kind of defeats the purpose of having your agent do all the work but over time I'm sure it will all get worked out. Any way to locate backgrounds and banner art? Not sure where on the website that it.

Strange thing. Some lectures pick up the formating on the course description and some just refuse to do so. Specifically:
    Classical Mythology
    Books That Have Made History Books That Can Change Your Life

There may be more but I just can't get these guys to update.

@tramp78 It does pull background and banner art. The Agent uses BeautifulSoup to pull those links into the metadata object. If you're not seeing art, it could be that you don't have BeautifulSoup installed. Here is a snippet of the code:

Log("Downloading Art")
       @parallelize
       def DownloadArt(html=html):
           Log("DownloadArt()")
           art = [ ]
           Art = { }
           soup = BeautifulSoup(html)
             for link in soup.findAll("a", "cloud-zoom-gallery lightbox-group"):
               art.append(link.get('href'))
           Art['fanart'] = art[0]
           Art['poster'] = art[1]
           Log("Fanart URL: %s" % Art['fanart'])
           Log("Poster URL: %s" % Art['poster'])
           if Art['poster'] not in metadata.posters:

and here is a screenshot from my server:

My bad, I do see the banner and background stuff show up. It pops up between the time you hit play and the video starts.

New Update

The TGCAgent now pulls the Professor/Lecturer photo into the cast section of the series:

Also, I have added, at the suggestion of a user on GIT, a method for using the Course Number found on the TGC website. This has to be added to the file naming scheme in the following manner:

The Black Death: The World's Most Devastating Plague (TGC8241) S01E01.mp4

Even in the poorest naming of the files (or directories), if the TGC#### is included, it should always find an exact match of the course now. This should resolve any discrepancies of courses not being matched. Here is an example where the file names are not quite the name of the course:

And the Log Results:

2017-06-10 14:18:15,054 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:325) - Title: (Set) How to Listen to and Understand Great Music, 3rd Edition & Concerto
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,054 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:325) - Title: (Set) How to Listen to and Understand Great Music, 3rd Edition; The Symphony & The Concerto
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,054 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:325) - Title: (Set) How to Listen to Great Music & Great Masters: Mozart
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,055 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:325) - Title: (Set) 30 Greatest Orchestral Works & Great Masters: Mozart
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,055 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:325) - Title: (Set) Best of Robert Greenberg
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,055 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:325) - Title: (Set) The Everyday Guide to Wine & How to Listen to and Understand Great Music
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,056 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:335) - Finding best match...
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,056 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:338) - Span length for is: 39
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,056 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:345) - CourseTitle is: Great Masters: Haydn-His Life and Music
    2017-06-10 14:18:15,061 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:346) - CourseURL is: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/great-masters-haydn-his-life-and-music.html
    2017-06-10 14:18:20,483 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:357) - Course Number Search: 751
    2017-06-10 14:18:20,483 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:358) - Course Number Found: 751
    2017-06-10 14:18:20,483 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:452) - Course found, URL: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/great-masters-haydn-his-life-and-music.html
    2017-06-10 14:18:23,667 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:462) - Adding metadata summary
    2017-06-10 14:18:23,668 (7f6d32e7d700) : INFO (init:467) - Calling MyLDESCParser()

Enjoy!
    -bubonic

TGC.bundle

life just keeps getting better and better. Any chance you can port this to Music so I can aim it at the audio lectures? If it will take too long, don't bother. I'm not sure how many audio lectures I have that are still on theri website so I'm not sure how much good it would do.

The goal is to eventually get the audio lectures supported too. As of right now, I'm not sure how to get the agent to support multiple types of media. It might be easier to create a separate Agent for the audio lectures; but that could actually turn out to be more work than what is needed. Just stay tuned for updates and hopefully one day you'll see it support audio lectures as well.

Thanks for your ongoing interest.

I agree it might not be worth the time. I think it would take a second agent and I'm not sure how many of the audio lectures I have are still around as audio only lectures. I might have to check some day. But until then, thanks again for what yiou have done.

Thought I would let you know of a few things that I'm seeing. Two lectures keep wanting to be labeles as a set that they are part of instead of themselves. I can't see a need to ever label a lecture as a set. The two are
    The Long 19th Century European History from 1789 to 1917
    History of the Bible: The Making of the New Testament Canon

I've tried putting (TGCXXXX) in the folder name & the episode name
    I've done the rename the folder to the text in the URL

But it seems to see the Set description which throws off the art and descriptions.

Just an FYI since you are such a wizard as keeping this thing up to date.

You can add "Apocalypse Controversies and Meaning in Western History" to the courses that pull up as a set. Specifically "(Set) Apocalypse: Controversies and Meaning in Western History & History of Christian Theology" Not sure how to make this see the right one.

Sorry it's been a while since I checked this. I was just thinking today that I should remove the (Set) listings from the search result as my algorithm might match the set instead of the individual course. I've been a little busy with some other projects, but I should be able to get to this tomorrow. I'll let you know when it's all updated and ready to go.

Update

There have been some changes to TGC.bundle:

• Excludes (Sets) from matching when searching for course.
    • Adds a rating value for the course extracted from the course website.
    • Adds roles for multiple lectures. i.e., Professor 2, Professor 3, etc.
    • Adds metadata studio as TGC

Screenshots

TODO

Well, the thing that has been eating up my night has been adding genres to the courses. This has proved to be rather elusive based on the primary_subject in the courses webpage. Courses are filed under multiple genres and I've been trying to decode the primary_subject code to what the category it is. There is a category section in the course web pages, but unfortunately it's not populated unless the referrer page is from a search or category listing. So far this is what I think I've decoded, but I'm not entirely sure and the code is not yet complete:

product_category = {'901' : "Economics & Finance", '902' : 'High School', '904' : 'Fine-Arts', '905' : 'Literature & Language', '907' : 'Philosophy, Intellectual History','909' : 'Religion', '910' : 'Mathematics', '918' : 'History', '926': 'Science', '927': 'Better Living' }

Based on what I've seen so far, this list might be pretty accurate. Of course, there is the brute force way of pulling every course and the respective primary_subject code, which is in the course web page, that it has and attributing the categories respectively. This might be the only option to get an accurate genre. Anyway, it's on the the TODO list.

Enjoy!
    -bubonic

TGC.bundle