If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Random crashes

cxhamiltoncxhamilton Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited May 4 in Apple TV

Over the past week, I have observed the Plex tvOS client crashing while watching media, though there is no obvious pattern. When it happens, ATV returns to the home screen as if I pressed the TV button on the ATV remote (complete with the sound effect). Sometimes it happens after 5-10 seconds of playback, sometimes 3-5 minutes, sometimes 12-15 minutes, and the crashes do not discriminate between 720p and 1080p media.

Once dumped back to the ATV home screen, I can relaunch and restart playback as if nothing happened...until it happens again.

This issue only presents itself on the tvOS client. The iOS client has consistent and reliable playback.

Technical specs:

• Apple TV A1625 (64 GB)
  • tvOS 10.2 (14W265)
  • Plex 1.9 (5581)

I have tried reinstalling Plex for tvOS. I have tried restarting my Apple TV. I have tried restarting Plex Media Server (before I knew that Plex for iOS works). Thoughts?

UPDATE: I noticed that Plex updated the tvOS client to 1.10. The issue appears to have been resolved.

Answers

• eadwyneadwyn Posts: 231Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have been having this same issue since the latest Plex update.

I am running on OS 10.2.1 and Plex 1.12. It is an ATV4 - 32GB.

I have done a factory reset and have tried adjusting quality settings to both low and high settings (and between) and have seen no difference in the frequency of the crashing. Right now the app is barely usable since I have to resume a show 2-4 times per episode.

As posted in the OP, other apps work just fine on the ATV.

• HamflixHamflix Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am also experiencing this.

Doesn't seem to be any particular pattern. I have attempted to isolate to a PMS problem, but the issue occurs when streaming from multiple remote servers as well as a local server.

I am running tvOS 10.2.1 on Plex tvOS Version 1.12 (5992)

• mrmortondkmrmortondk Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am experience the same problem, random crashes with interval of 5 - 25 min.

It ONLY happens on Apple devices (both Iphone and Apple TV), I tried different file formats and direct play/transcoding.
    All with same result!

I had this issues once before, then it was fixed after a app update - hope this issue is fixed soon!

/Morten

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 416Members ✭✭✭

Hard for them to fix it, when none of you provide any logs.

@T'hain Esh Kelch said:
    Hard for them to fix it, when none of you provide any logs.

It's not a PMS issue (all other clients are working just dandy). It's the ATV that keeps crashing and we aren't able to provide those logs without a developer requesting us turn it on and reproduce the issue (which I gladly will do on request).

Just checking in to see if there are any updates on this or if I can turn on client logging and reproduce the issue to help diagnose the issue.

Plex version 1.13 was downloaded today and I am still seeing the random crashes. Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

To add to this, it will crash when not even watching any media. Last night my wife and I were trying to find a movie to watch and it crashed ~10 minutes into us looking at various movie descriptions (no trailers).

• RocketDogGTRRocketDogGTR Posts: 21Members ✭✭

I listen to music (both MP3 and Apple Lossless files) and often switch between artists/albums depending on where my mood takes me. After playing different songs, the UI will get progressively slower. Hitting the menu button to back up to the Artists page and then selecting a new artist, and then album, and track, because progressively slower with longer pauses between button presses. At some point about 20 minutes into it, the app will crash back to the ATV main menu and I re-launch it. At this point the app is quick again but continues to get slow as I navigate through my library and play tracks. This sounds similar to the post by @eadwyn where he was just browsing the meta data looking for a movie to watch and experienced what sounds like a similar problem. It seems like a memory leak involving album/poster art or other meta data or something. To clarify, if I just stay within a given artist and allow it to play, I can play for hours without a crash. So, the problem appears to be related to switching/selecting different items and loading the meta data for that content and degrades over time. Hope this helps. I can send logs if you tell me how. Another data point is that the problem has existed since 2016 and the versions of the app that came out between then. I remember first encountering this issue mid 2016 or so.

• mrmortondkmrmortondk Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Updated app, problem remains :(

I've given up on the ATV app for now. I've switched over to using a chromecast, until this can be looked into and fixed.

• matthew_mmatthew_m Posts: 14Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I seem to be having the same issues on my ATV and iOS devices. This does not happen on anything else but Apple products. I have media going on all day every day, most of the time on my iPhone and about every hour it closes out 99% of the time and goes back to the home screen. This happens to my wife as well on her iPhone and when watching on our iPads and ATV. I can tell you with 100% certainty that it does not happen on my XBox, Windows app, or Android devices. I thought this was only a problem for me, so I thought it was my Plex server running on my QNAP (NAS). I have spent some time researching it and making some adjustments to my QNAP and Plex settings but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I also updated my Plex server the other day and still having the issue. This has been happening for several weeks.

• HamflixHamflix Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just wanted to follow up that I have updated my PMS today and restored both ATVs in my home setting them up fresh and clean did not help.

Still totally spontaneous, no rhyme or reason.

Something interesting my wife and I have just noticed: When I use the master account that owns the server we see these frequent crashes; however when my wife switches to her account, there are no more crashes.

Also when switching to her account, it switches and loads the home page just fine. If I switch from hers to mine, the screen stays bank and I have to restart the Apple TV.

Would be nice to have a dev at least pop in and say that they have seen this thread and it's on their radar.

I can say that my wife has similar issues when playing music using the ios app and she is not setup as the master. Just a thought though, do you have everything shared with your wife's account that you do with your master account? Just thinking maybe its the content being shared or possibly the number of shared folders.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that it does not happen on my Roku, Xbox, app on Sony TV running Android and Samsung 2012 model. Seems to only happen on Apple devices, (Apple TV, iPhone 6 and 6s (one running iOS 11 beta, iPad)

• jasperswartjasperswart Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

i have the same issue!

both with and without playback

with latest server on synology and latest apple tv app

• fusion_jefffusion_jeff Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am having the same problems with all Apple products. Random app crashes, sometimes not even playing any content. All other platforms stream just fine w/ zero issues. Plex app will also crash while playing synced content. Crashes streaming from latest PMS on both my Unraid NAS and ReadyNAS servers. I have tried all kids of combinations of settings and even tee coded some test files, still no dice. When the app crashes and I try to immediately re-open it, it will immediately crash a second time, after the second crash, it appears to work fine for a random period of time before it's crash cycle starts again. The Apple clients used to be rock solid. Not sure if the developers even look at there forums anymore, but if they do: PLEASE FIX THE APPLE CLIENTS.

Any update from support? I was just using the iOS app again today and it happened again. It has gotten to the point that I have discouraged some of the folks I help with IT solutions and discouraged them from using Plex if they have Apple devices.

• michael.sattelmichael.sattel Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same problem. I can't watch seriously with my Apple TV. Random crashes like fusion_jeff describes, too. I've installed the latest PMS Server Version Version 1.8.1.4139, Plex App Version is 1.15 (6451). Please help!