If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Anyone have an issue with the screensaver coming on while playing a video since the last atv4 update

Answers

• JustADPJustADP Posts: 2Members

Not so much a +1 as an offer to help. I'm on an up to date 4th Gen Apple TV with Plex Server running on an up to date iMac. I'd normally stick with public releases but if I can help with testing or gather additional debug information on this particular setup please let me know. Thanks for looking into the issue, I know these intermittent ones can be tricky to replicate.

• PleXtvOSPleXtvOS Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:
    it's being looked into.

Any update on it ?

• rmm805rmm805 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. It's very annoying.

• paul7paul7 Posts: 29Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I consider the erroneous runtime bug annoying; this is literally a showstopper. I've been using MrMC as my MythTV front end for Apple TV but have now moved over to using it with my Plex server too despite not liking the interface as much as Plex. I'm an all plasma tv house so turning off the screensaver is not something I want to do. I'll check back to see if a solution is ever found but for now I can't keep using Plex.

• chrisbellcochrisbellco Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As the Plex Team works on this issue, is the advised workaround to set AppleTV screensaver to "Never?"

• katzkatz Posts: 126Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Happening for me aswell!

• roidyroidy Posts: 761Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The release notes for Version 1.12 (5992) beta on TestFlight say this is now fixed, don't know how long it takes the beta version to become release but its there.

• BadgerdogBadgerdog Posts: 207Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 5

I have the same problem ...

Never happened before this latest 1.11 Apple TV and Plex Pass server version ...

As a lifetime Plex Pass member, I tried to join the Apple TV beta with my 5 Apple TV's but never got a response from anyone.

Regards,
    Doug

Lifetime Plex Member
    Running Plex Pass Server Version 1.9.4.4325
    Running Plex Client 1.17.1 on IOS 11 for Apple TV and Apple TV 4k

• molanlabemolanlabe Posts: 1Members

Became an issue after my year subscription of Plex Pass ran out a couple of days ago. Coincidence? The timing is strange for sure. /tinfoil

• GlynnRyanGlynnRyan Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@molanlabe said:
    Became an issue after my year subscription of Plex Pass ran out a couple of days ago. Coincidence? The timing is strange for sure. /tinfoil

Not related, I don't think.
    I have an existing lifetime Plex Pass and am experiencing the same issue on my ATV 4.

Server:
    Dell Optiplex 7010
    CPU: i7-3770 | RAM: 20GB DDR3 1600Mhz | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit |
    Users: 7 (2 Local, 5 Remote) |
    Connection: 100Mbps Download / 50 Mbps Upload |
    Most Concurrent Streams: 5

Additional PMS Services:
    PlexPy | Ombi | Sonar | Radarr | Jackett

B)

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 10,141Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@molanlabe said:

The screensaver has nothing to do with having a Plex Pass or not. just a coincidence. the issue seems to be complete random. a few of us trying to reproduce have not seen it happen at all other see it all the time

I am not one of the Apple TV devs ( so don't quote me ) but the fix as far as i am aware is specifically disabling the ATV4 screensaver during playback rather than relying on tvOS itself to recognize that a video is still playing.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • MAScoobyMAScooby Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@BigWheel said:
    I am not one of the Apple TV devs ( so don't quote me ) but the fix as far as i am aware is specifically disabling the ATV4 screensaver during playback rather than relying on tvOS itself to recognize that a video is still playing.

Yeah, more of a work-around than a fix, but that should work.

I'm not sure whether something's changed, but this doesn't seem to be happening to me as much since I upgraded to the 1.7.2.x branch of the Plex Media Server.

I didn't see it that often though, and usually it happened during animated shows (probably more related to the particulars of the transcoding than the fact that it's animated, but who knows).

• gdiongdion Posts: 68Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 8

As @roidy mentioned, problem is fixed in v1.12 of AppleTV client, it will be pushed to app store soon.

• HuntycanuckHuntycanuck Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    Sweet! Thanks!

On 2017-06-08, 11:52 AM, "gdion" wrote:

Plex Forums https://forums.plex.tv/
    gdion commented on Anyone have an issue with the screensaver coming on while playing a video since the last atv4 update

Problem is fixed in v1.12 of AppleTV client, it will be pushed to app store soon.
  • krweston73krweston73 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Was having the same problem today so I went to turn the screensaver off. Saw a setting in there Settings --> General --> Screensaver called " show during music and podcasts" I set that from yes to no and the problem seems to have gone away.

• RayHerringRayHerring Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Glad I came here to check it, thought I was going insane, only noticed the issue the last couple of days on my one, was watching some episodes of a show and sure enough every 5mins the screensaver would come up, I press the touchpad on the remote and the screensaver closes and the show starts playing again.

Will turn the screensaver off for now and then turn it back on again once the update is out (unless it already is?)

• lukejrlukejr Posts: 95Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Great to see the Plex team is on it and beta out, look forward to the release.

Mac mini 2012 (6,1), Intel Core i5 @ 2.5GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000 - Mac OS Server 12.12 (Sierra). Apple TV connected via HDMI cable to LG 32LG3000 TV that is connected via optical audio to LG HT805PH 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound System. Media stored on a 16TB WD MyBook Duo (USB3) and a 3TB Seagare (USB2). HDHomeRun CONNECT for DVR

• helm71helm71 Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here... ATV4.. happened since last update.

• MAScoobyMAScooby Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@helm71 said:
    Same here... ATV4.. happened since last update.

I haven't had it happen since upgrading to the latest Plex Pass PMS (1.7.3.3937), ATV OS, and ATV Plex app versions. Not sure if one of those or some combo of those fixes it but it's been behaving so far.

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 421Members ✭✭✭

Plex 1.12 for Apple TV has been released with the fix.