If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why can't I stream movies on my TV or PS4?

MoonsEyeMoonsEye Posts: 14Members ✭✭

Hello,
I tried to stream a movie in my PS4 - It did connect to the plex server but it shows only 3 folders: Music, Picture, Video - there's nothing in there. I pressed the "+" button and added another folder and the movie was there I called it "Movies" - It didn't show on my TV nor PS4 - only those 3 empty folders were shown.
Please help me.

I asked it in a general discussion and someone told me to post it here as well.

Answers

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,741Members ✭✭✭✭

@MoonsEye said:
    Hello,
    I tried to stream a movie in my PS4 - It did connect to the plex server but it shows only 3 folders: Music, Picture, Video - there's nothing in there. I pressed the "+" button and added another folder and the movie was there I called it "Movies" - It didn't show on my TV nor PS4 - only those 3 empty folders were shown.
    Please help me.

If I remember correctly Music, Picture, Video is Sony preferred Library layout. You have stated you added a library named Movies and you can find it's contents. Plex uses Movie,TV, Music, Home Video. Anyway your previous folders mention have you attached them to a plex Library?

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• MoonsEyeMoonsEye Posts: 14Members ✭✭

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:
    Hello,
    Please help me.

If I remember correctly Music, Picture, Video is Sony preferred Library layout. You have stated you added a library named Movies and you can find it's contents. Plex uses Movie,TV, Music, Home Video. Anyway your previous folders mention have you attached them to a plex Library?

I don't know... Here's a screenshot of my Plex account:

I don't know what to do.

edited May 12

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:
    Hello,
    Please help me.

I don't know... Here's a screenshot of my Plex account:

I don't know what to do.

This is sounding more and more like a drive that has been formatted with the mentioned partitions. Probably PS4 own drive. Anyway just ignore and add you files to plex as you have with "Heist". One question have you arranged your Files to add as per Plex requirements.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

I don't know... I don't think it has an effect on that.
    I do remember deleting some option in the beginning and when i deleted it it said something - "you cannot undo it".
    I thought it wasn't something necessary. Should I register as a new user?

edited May 12

@MoonsEye said:
    I do remember deleting some option in the beginning and when i deleted it it said something - "you cannot undo it".

Were do you store your movie files and how have you laidout?

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

I'm using Popcorn Time... I placed both the Popcorn Time's downloading folder and the Plex's movie files in a desktop folder.

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

I'm using Popcorn Time... I placed both the Popcorn Time's downloading folder and the Plex's movie files in a desktop folder.

So you have that file linked to plex? Yes or No? So if files are named correctly you should be able to see them in PS4 Screen shot of desktop folder contents and naming of files

edited May 12

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

So you have that file linked to plex? Yes or No? So if files are named correctly you should be able to see them in PS4 Screen shot of desktop folder contents and naming of files

Screenshots:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

Screenshots:

The "Hiest" folder looks like it's named correctly, but movie file need to be the same plus the extension. Is that correct?

If you need to add other content from different locations you need to add to same library as you have screenshot previously

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

Screenshots:

The "Hiest" folder looks like it's named correctly, but movie file need to be the same plus the extension. Is that correct?

If you need to add other content from different locations you need to add to same library as you have screenshot previously

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

Screenshots:

What do you mean by that?

The problem is that I cannot enter any folder on my TV nor PS4. It shows only those 3 folders.
    I want to know how I can stream from my PC to my TV.

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

Screenshots:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

Screenshots:

Is this discussion all about you can not watch anything else than "heist". You need to add more content as all i can see is the "Hiest". If the other mentioned sources don't work, have you directly checked what in those storage files Video,pictures,music.
    Sounds so like a sony setup for a playstation drive

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

Screenshots:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

Screenshots:

Is this discussion all about you can not watch anything else than "heist". You need to add more content as all i can see is the "Hiest". If the other mentioned sources don't work, have you directly checked what in those storage files Video,pictures,music.
    Sounds so like a sony setup for a playstation drive

No, I cannot watch any movie at all on my TV nor PS4. I did check... There's nothing in there - I don't know I should stream to my TV/PS4.

@ said:

You have stated you can see heist at the playstation, your connected to your TV via HDMI and have successfully added Playstation as a connected device to your TV. You need to see if your Tv has connected to Plex and select source.

Are you trying to WIFi connect the Playstation to TV? I don't thing the playstation Broadcasts it needs to physically connected with HDMI so it's a Client/player

edited May 12

@Gdr56 said:

@ said:

You have stated you can see heist at the playstation, your connected to your TV via HDMI and have successfully added Playstation as a connected device to your TV. You need to see if your Tv has connected to Plex and select source.

Are you trying to WIFi connect the Playstation to TV? I don't thing the playstation Broadcasts it needs to physically connected with HDMI so it's a Client/player

You both got it wrong. I can't stream any movie at all. "Heist" is just an example of a movie I tried to stream but couldn't.
    My Ps4 and my TV are connected by WiFi but there are only 3 empty folders called "Music", "Photos", "Video".
    There is no movie file in there.

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@ said:

You both got it wrong. I can't stream any movie at all. "Heist" is just an example of a movie I tried to stream but couldn't.
    My Ps4 and my TV are connected by WiFi but there are only 3 empty folders called "Music", "Pictures, "Video".

Your playstation is connected to your Plex server PC by wifi, Your TV is connected to? Playstation or Server by wifi? If it's the server you need a player or client app on TV. If your using the playstation Plex app as a player you need connect via HDMI

Which brand of TV?

edited May 12

@Gdr56 said:

@MoonsEye said:

@Gdr56 said:

@ said:

My Ps4 and my TV are connected by WiFi but there are only 3 empty folders called "Music", "Pictures, "Video".

Your playstation is connected to your Plex server PC by wifi, Your TV is connected to? Playstation or Server by wifi? If it's the server you need a player or client app on TV. If your using the playstation Plex app as a player you need connect via HDMI

Which brand of TV?

Samsung... By the way, there's the same option on my TV convertor... It has a Media Center that connects to the server like the PS4 but it has the same results - 3 empty folders.

Do you have a external drive connected to your router? Where is this storage marked Video etc? It must be picking it up from some where

so your trying to connect with DLNA and not within a app

@Gdr56 said:
    so your trying to connect with DLNA and not within a app

Yes.
    If I know how to stream on my PS4 I will be able to stream on my TV as well.
    I'll take a picture of my TV's options.