Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS on NAS to ATV3 via Airplay downmixes all 5.1 audio to stereo

SchpiksterSchpikster Posts: 11Members ✭✭

Hi,

I posted something similar in the IOS forum but this is probably a better place to ask for help.

I have PMS installed on a NAS - a WD PR2100. I have an ATV3 and i use it to play PMS movies via airplay, using the IOS app on my iPhone.

In the original release (that came with my NAS), PMS would always down mixed 5.1 audio to stereo. I upgraded to a later release, and it worked! In all supplemental releases however, it is back to transcoding 5.1 audio to stereo again. This happens regardless of the source format - DD, DTS or AAC, it simply won't output 5.1 audio.

I've tried reverting to the release where it worked, but the issue remains. I suspect a later release edited the config files on my NAS to dictate that airplay or ATV3 should have audio down mixed to stereo, and it's somehow not being updated or reverted when i install another release.

So my question is - does anyone have a fix for this?

Follow up question
i have a feeling i may be able to edit the config files if i can gain access to the root files on my NAS via SSH - applying a fix similar to this: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/241257/no-more-dolby-digital-in-atv-option-in-pms-plexconnect/p1 however i've not done this before.

any thoughts?

Best Answers

• SchpiksterSchpikster Posts: 11Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

For anyone interested, this issue appears to have been resolved!

WD offered an upgrade download for Plex to version 1.7.2.3878, which appears to have resolved the issue. I've not tried any later versions, but as this now works for me I've no reason to upgrade ,so won't be trying to unless a killer feature gets rolled out in a future release.

Happy days!

Answers

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,601Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited May 12

PlexConnect and airplay are two different things. PlexConnect supports AC3 and AAC, but not DTS (because the ATV3 does not support DTS). DTS will be transcoded to AC3 by PMS. To install PlexConnect you need a device where you can run Python 2.7.x (unlike other media players, where you can install Plex or DLNA clients, PlexConnect cannot be installed in the ATV3 and requires a separate device, often the same one where PMS is installed).

PlexConnect does not announces itself as a player, but can coexist with airplay. When airplay is used PlexConnect is inactive on that ATV.

iOS supports AC3 in recent iDevices only. I don't know if you can airplay to ATV3 preserving AC3 (I have iOS on a iPad4 that does not support AC3, so I cannot test).

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.3.0229 + PMS 1.9.2 + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-230417

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP

No support via PM unless requested by me

i'm happy for transcoding of audio to happen (e.g. AC3 to AAC, or DTS to AC3 or whatever), i just want the 5.1 channels to be preserved rather than downmixed to stereo.

i appreciate plexconnect is unlikely to be the way forward, i'm just looking for a fix for my issue and given that this forum seems to be the closest setup to mine (i.e use of ATV3) i figured it best to post here. Obviously i am using airplay which is different but presumably media support of the ATV3 is the same?

ok thanks. not convinced i have the ability to install plexconnect, but may give it a go. I appreciate that airplay and plexconnect are different, just finding it frustrating that surround sound output used to work via airplay and now it's being down mixed to stereo. something has happened in plex configs for ATV3 or airplay, just not sure what!

• moody_bluemoody_blue Posts: 2,601Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Your problem has been reported by other users (see this), I'm not aware of any solution for it besides installing PlexConnect.

QNAP TS-253A 4G QTS 4.3.3.0229 + PMS 1.9.2 + QPython2 2.7.12.0 + PlexConnect 0.5-dev-230417

TV Sony KDL-32V2500 (720p) + aTV3 Rev. A firmware 7.2.2 + Denon AVR-1604 A/V Receiver 5.1 + Harmony Touch

Portables 1x iPad4, 2x Android phone, 1x Android tablet, 2x PMP

No support via PM unless requested by me

Accepted Answer

For anyone interested, this issue appears to have been resolved!

WD offered an upgrade download for Plex to version 1.7.2.3878, which appears to have resolved the issue. I've not tried any later versions, but as this now works for me I've no reason to upgrade ,so won't be trying to unless a killer feature gets rolled out in a future release.

Happy days!