If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sony Bravia 2015 won't play files with DTS-HD 7.1 sound anymore

micke_rmicke_r Posts: 19Members ✭✭

This is a problem I didn't have a month back or so. Recently my setup won't play files with DTS-HD sound which is 7.1. I've tried several files with 7.1 sound but they just won't start. The movie starts but freezes at 0:01 time stamp. I've tried reducing bandwidth in the plex app but it won't help, not even if I lower really much. I've also tried with/without direct stream and direct play but with no luck.

It is not a bandwidth problem, there are never any server speed issues and server and TV are connected via wire 1000 mbit internal network in my flat. Trying Chromecast 2 it struggles a bit but can play a similar file. Casting directly to the TV cast works flawless but I think that's because then the tv will output only stereo sound. The AndroidTV app will output 5.1 sound to the receiver.

My setup: Sony Bravia 55W755 (W705C) (Android 6.0) and I have a Sony STR-DN1050 receiver with 5.1 speakers. Receiver connected via HDMI-ARC.

Happy for any input regarding this. It should be a problem that has occured due to an update of AndroidTV-app, the TV or Plex media server. Any thoughts?

Best Answers

• micke_rmicke_r Posts: 19Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Got back from a holiday and now my Sony TV plays 7.1 file like it's no big deal... ?! I can't find anything in the android or server changelog except "[Android TV] Improve global quality settings for video and audio" but that can't surely be it. Strange but maybe it has something to do with the tv.

Answers

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,246Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 13

Plex client up to date?

Audio Passthrough = Auto?
    Local Quality = Original?
    Direct Play = Auto?
    Direct Stream = ON?
    PMS version?
    Does the information overlay say its transcoding?

EDIT: I am seeing a same thing with a Bravia 2015 W755C / the latest beta update. It also freezes playback with a black screen while transcoded audio plays.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• triremetrireme Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 14

I am having the same issue with a Bravia 2015.... I dont have any external hardware , just using the built in speakers I get no audio unless I transcode. DD plays fine. The same videos will play fine in Kodi

PMS on QNAP TS-451+
    OpenPHT on Mac Pro 10.11.6
    Plex Andriod on Sony Bravia XBR43X830C
    Plex iOS on Apple Tv 4, iPhone SE, iPad Mini 2, iPad 3

• kathakitiskathakitis Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi!
    Same thing here.
    Sony SD85 Android TV
    PLEX android client 5.9.2.805
    PLEX server 1.6.1.3722 on Synology 916+
    Audio Passthrough = Auto
    Local Quality = Original
    Direct Play = Auto
    Direct Stream = ON
    Info overlay reports audio transcoding is on due to no support of DTS by the device.

My TV plays sound trough Yamaha 2500 so there is support of DTS...

I will appreciate your help

@danjames92 said:
    Plex client up to date?

Audio Passthrough = Auto?
    Local Quality = Original?
    Direct Play = Auto?
    Direct Stream = ON?
    PMS version?
    Does the information overlay say its transcoding?

EDIT: I am seeing a same thing with a Bravia 2015 W755C / the latest beta update. It also freezes playback with a black screen while transcoded audio plays.

Plex client up to date? - Yes
    Audio Passthrough = Auto? - Yes
    Local Quality = Original? - Yes
    Direct Play = Auto? - Yes
    Direct Stream = ON? - Yes/No
    PMS version? - latest retail, no plex pass version.
    Does the information overlay say its transcoding? - Yes due to DTS. On the server i can see that video is not transcoding, only audio.

I have tried each setting on/off but no solution. I've tried lower bitrate, even as low as 4Mbit but it doesn't change.

I hope to hear from more people if you face the same issues and see if we can get some attention... :p ;)

@danjames92 said:

I did get performance problems maybe a year back of another sort while I tried beta software of PMS. Then I did a significant downgrade of the server PMS which solved it. Maybe I will try this again...

@micke_r said:

@danjames92 said:

I did get performance problems maybe a year back of another sort while I tried beta software of PMS. Then I did a significant downgrade of the server PMS which solved it. Maybe I will try this again...

Pretty sure this is a client not a server problem but I'm not 100% on that.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

@danjames92 said:

@micke_r said:

@danjames92 said:

I agree, I think its the client since I can use Kodi on the same TV with PlexKodiConnect and it works fine. I just prefer the app when it works. Also films that used to play fine on this Tv now play silent unless I transcode, or disable direct play, which makes the audio out of sync

PMS on QNAP TS-451+

@trireme said:

@danjames92 said:

@micke_r said:

@danjames92 said:

I agree, I think its the client since I can use Kodi on the same TV with PlexKodiConnect and it works fine. I just prefer the app when it works. Also films that used to play fine on this Tv now play silent unless I transcode, or disable direct play, which makes the audio out of sync

Kodi uses a different player so you can't compare the 2.

@danjames92 said:

@trireme said:

@danjames92 said:

@micke_r said:

@danjames92 said:

I understand that, but its playing the same media, on the same system.... and it worked fine in plex before

PMS on QNAP TS-451+

@trireme said:

@danjames92 said:

@trireme said:

@danjames92 said:

@micke_r said:

@danjames92 said:

I understand that, but its playing the same media, on the same system.... and it worked fine in plex before

Yes and the fact they use 2 different players means there is no correlation or common factor between the 2 bits of software.

@danjames92 said:

@micke_r said:

@danjames92 said:

Yes seems like a client issue but I wonder how it has occurred. Given that theory the client should be downgraded to try to fix.

Could it be the Android upgrade on the TV? I think that is a possibility since it upgraded from 5.1 to 6.0 a month ago. :(

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,764Members ✭✭✭✭

Mac Natively does not support 7.1 DTS-HD, I believe Shield and Playstation do support if I remember correctly. But using LPCM or PCM Audio settings.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

@Gdr56 said:
    Mac Natively does not support 7.1 DTS-HD, I believe Shield and Playstation do support if I remember correctly. But using LPCM or PCM Audio settings.

Macs are not even mentioned in this post. Little early to be drinking no?

• SE56SE56 Posts: 1,764Members ✭✭✭✭

@danjames92 said:

@Gdr56 said:

Macs are not even mentioned in this post. Little early to be drinking no?

Come on look at your signature and it's a big world, as I live in Australia. If you wish to drink all hours what business is it of mine.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. : Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• fried_chickenfried_chicken Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 16

I have the same problem, on a 8500c. Only occurs on 6.1 and 7.1 DTS-HD and TrueHD audio. DTS HD 5.1 and TrueHD 5.1 audio transcode and play just fine. It will play a fraction of a second of the film and halt.

Somewhere in the last couple of months this has occurred. Switched to the Kodi frontend in the meantime.
    TV is still running 5.1.1 Android.

• prophopropho Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Add me to the list.. or well my parents.. I've tried all possible configurations on the TV and Plex settings and all 6.1 and 7.1 will hang. TV is a Sony 810C with audio being pushed through a Sony HT-NT3. Though as mentioned earlier users report the issue regardless of speakers..

Running latest PMS and verified everything on the TV is up to date..

• degenkolwdegenkolw Posts: 3Members ✭✭

I have been told that Plex for android TV doesn't support DTS sound without trancoding. I have same issue, DD works flawlessly in directPlay but DTS gives no sound. You HAVE to transcode to get DTS sound. I have given up, and are now using a cheap Raspberry Pi with Rasplex running. It has no problem playing DTS and DD without transcoding. I have not heard about any plans from the nice folks at Plex that this will be fixed any time soon.

• prophopropho Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

FYI, not sure if it was the latest update but my parents Sony now plays 6.1 and 7.1 but just not Atmos

Accepted Answer

Got back from a holiday and now my Sony TV plays 7.1 file like it's no big deal... ?! I can't find anything in the android or server changelog except "[Android TV] Improve global quality settings for video and audio" but that can't surely be it. Strange but maybe it has something to do with the tv.