Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why does nothing play?

bigtravatxbigtravatx Members Posts: 2

I just setup and installed plex on my laptop (using chrome browser), I added movies and tv shows to the appropriate libraries, I can see all the meta data but when I try to play ANYTHING (dozens of different titles and file types) I get the same error message: there was a problem playing this item. NOTHING works, did I set something up wrong? When using my android I get the error message

Answers

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,384 Plex Pass

Welcome to Plex. Did you follow the Plex FAQs on setting up your server and libraries?

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,638 Plex Pass

Don't hold your breath from anyone from Plex..
    But I am sure the members of this community will jump in and try..

As was said "Welcome to Plex" Good luck.

What format are your videos in, how encoded.. ETC. Bitrate.??

What client?

Any other info you can supply will be appreciated.

• bigtravatxbigtravatx Members Posts: 2

jjrjr1 -

Its a variety: mp4, mkv, x264, xvid, etc

But weird thing is NONE work. I get the same error message regardless:

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Members Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20

Depending on server power, file formats (good luck with AVI) and video/audio streams, not to mention the ability of the server to transcode when necessary or the ability of that crappy browser (they're all crappy - it's not just yours) to play what you're throwing at it - yes, you could have some issues.

Try a real Plex Player - Like PMP (Plex Media Player):
    Top of the forum/Downloads/Get an app.
    Plexweb can be used in a pinch, but because it runs in a browser isn't the best thing to watch stuff with.

PMP isn't running a browser and will have a much better chance at playing something.

If you still have issues after PMP we'll start looking at your files and what they contain as well as your server log files, server settings/app settings, server horsepower, etc.

• jjrjr1jjrjr1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1,638 Plex Pass

You know the database or XML files may be butched.

Try attaching an XML for a bad movie here.

Try Updating library and analyze media functions to see if that might help.