If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

best Linux for plex

Sku11me1sterSku11me1ster Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hi, i have a machine that currently runs Win 10 Pro, and plex and its basically on 24/7
Now its due a reinstall as its getting laggy, and i was looking at maybe putting Linux on it instead. Its an i3 2120 3.30GHz with 4GB ddr.

I didnt realise there were different versions of Linux and im a bit confused, is it worth putting linux on this server instead or should i just reinstall win 10 pro?

Answers

• NetflixSucksNetflixSucks Posts: 44Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I would give fedora a try. It's really stable and had an app store. You can also install apps by tryping yum install. If not available add the repo and then using the .rpm if supported.

• KutabidKutabid Posts: 6Members ✭✭

You would be mad not to put Ubuntu based distro at the top of your list first. Arguably widest hardware compatibility, software availability & tech help.

Lubuntu for lightest, simplest. Xubuntu for a bit more full featured. Kubuntu 17.04 for beautiful full desktop environment but still good resource usage. The Gnome versions are too heavy on resources, avoid.

If you're technically skilled you may of course just install the server version of Ubuntu 16.0.4.3 & run it headless.

Check your hardware for compatibility.

Fedora : newer application packages but much heavier on resources than other distro's & reputation for beta type instability. Not recommended for most folks.

Manjaro : Very up to date core system & applications. Excellent stability & out of box experience. You fore go easy access to peripherals drivers such as printers/scanners as most manufacturers do not provide their drivers in a form for Arch based Linux distro's. Some are packaged by volunteers.

• MattTwinkleToesMattTwinkleToes Posts: 109Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Linux Mint arguably offers the best user experience out there, i may be biased as I have chosen mint as my preferred distro for more than 4 years now but I have used many, many other distros and have found none better.

Mint is based on ubuntu but has all the crap removed and a much nicer default desktop.

• macgeek83macgeek83 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MattTwinkleToes said:
    Linux Mint arguably offers the best user experience out there, i may be biased as I have chosen mint as my preferred distro for more than 4 years now but I have used many, many other distros and have found none better.

Mint is based on ubuntu but has all the crap removed and a much nicer default desktop.

Linux Mint was my thought! I have an older Mac Mini that I want to use but figured I'd see what others are using.