If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is NAT loopback/hairpinning required for Sonos to work with Plex?

corbin.blackford@gmail.comcorbin.blackford@gmail.com Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is NAT loopback/hairpinning required for Sonos to work with Plex? I have Eero, which doesn't support NAT loopback / hairpinning. I have read lots on these boards but haven't found a definitive answer. If it is not required, is there a work-around? Thank you.

Answers

• jjrossjjross Posts: 393Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It is required. Not sure if there's a work around (unless you consider Plex Cloud).

• virgiliomivirgiliomi Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Some routers may internally support this but not provide a setting for it...

Also, some folks have found that manually creating the port forward, rather than letting it be automatically created through UPnP, will work in the absence of a NAT loopback/hairpin option. It really depends on your router.

• ilatimerilatimer Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

OK, So are we creating the Loopback for each Sonos device?

edited June 14

If your router requires that you create a loopback manually, then yes you would want one for each Sonos device (or any Sonos device that you would be using to play music from Plex). My router (pfSense) just has a "NAT Reflection" option that I enable on the port forward, and that seems to allow it to work when any internal device makes a request to that port on the WAN address.

• rfkavanaghrfkavanagh Posts: 3Members ✭✭

This is all new to me but it sounds like I may be having similar issues. I'm using Luma for my routers, Sonos can find Plex and see all my library on my Synology NAS, but when I try to play a file it tells me it's unable to connect to Plex. Luma allows me to set up port forwards - I tried setting up port forwards on Luma using 32400 (for Plex) on each Sonos device, but that isn't working. Am I totally mixing everything up?

• tgraddtgradd Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I am too a bit confused on how to get the NAT hairpin/loopback setup on my TP-Link Archer D7. I have remote access working on my plex server/router, but when i go to create a port forward on my router for my Sonos Device (i am assuming i have to create one for each of my devices) do i use my public port (in plex) as my external port for port forwarding and my private port as my internal port? Do i also require TDP, UDP or both? Cheers

• Wolf_666Wolf_666 Posts: 478Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Sorry, not a IT savy but it is really a nonsense to use NAT hairpin/loopback to play local content on Plex.

- HTPC Intel NUC5i3RYH (Plex Media Player)
    - Firewall/Router pfSense 2.3.2 (Supermicro A1SRi-2558)
    - AP Netgear R7000 (Stock FW)
    - Switch Cisco SG350-10
    - NAS Synology DS1515+ 5 x 5TB SHR1 (Plex Media Server)
    - NAS Synology DS213+ 2 x 3TB JBOD

• franmorganfranmorgan Posts: 52Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 8

Why doesn't Plex refer to this NAT issue in their walkthrough?

I have manual port forward working fine and have no problems accessing my Plex server remotely. Plex on Sonos has never worked however. My router doesn't support this NAT reflection option so guessing thIs is probably the issue most people are facing.

Have Plex acknowledged this problem and whether they are trying to develop a workaround?

edited July 16

Plex hasn't acknowledged anything except that they're "working very slowly" on the Sonos connectivity at this time (that was as of March 8th 2017). They seemingly abandoned it within days of its release with only one Plex employee posting just a couple of times in this forum since the release about a year ago now.

• jfairhamjfairham Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 9

I had issues connecting to plex. I finally realised that if instead of going through the menu that first appears in the sonos application, if I select Other Libraries at the main menu, then click the plex server name where the music is stored on, then click on the folder where the music is on your plex server it works, it seems the authorisation process doesn't select the correct plex server if you have more than one.

• medwaymainemedwaymaine Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Holy cow, this worked for me! I gave up trying to get Plex working on Sonos but this simple trick works!

@jfairham said:
    I had issues connecting to plex. I finally realised that if instead of going through the menu that first appears in the sonos application, if I select Other Libraries at the main menu, then click the plex server name where the music is stored on, then click on the folder where the music is on your plex server it works, it seems the authorisation process doesn't select the correct plex server if you have more than one.