Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Video Playback Broken in iOS 11

drdbdrdb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass
in iOS

Just so you devs know, video playback does not work with both the current beta and release apps in iOS 11. When you initially press play, the video loads endlessly until you press pause then play, at which point the audio starts working but only the covert art is displayed.I think this might be caused by Apple's obsession with HEVC now.

Tagged:
«1345678

Comments

  • jdrydnjdrydn Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

    Exactly the same here, release apps, iOS 11, iPhone 6+ and iPad Pro 12". Yikes!

  • ayatollahayatollah Members Posts: 3 ✭✭

    Same problem here on both an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 7+

  • wmlwml Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

    Yep same problem here but works via a web browser connection to the server

  • pablitopablito Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

    I have the same problem, but I found that some videos do consistently play. Not sure what the common denominator is though.

  • mwc_trexxmwc_trexx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 132 Plex Pass
    edited June 7

    Same on iPad Pro 9.7 for streaming. Tested with both Direct Streaming & Transcoding with no difference.

    Locally Sync'd content appear to play fine though from initial testing. PiP of sync'd media works fine too.

  • drdbdrdb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

    Did some experimentation and I've come to the conclusion that this only happens for video with AC-3 encoded audio that has to be transcoded. MP4s with AAC audio work just fine both when direct played or transcoded. I can also confirm that playback does work in Plex Web.

  • maaniacmaaniac Members, Plex Pass Posts: 190 Plex Pass

    From reading the above does this mean that any file which was sync'd to the phone will play fine? The issue is only with streaming or transcoding from the server?

  • mwc_trexxmwc_trexx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 132 Plex Pass

    @maaniac said:
    From reading the above does this mean that any file which was sync'd to the phone will play fine? The issue is only with streaming or transcoding from the server?

    That has been my experience so far on my iPad Pro, but haven't done extensive testing yet.

  • maaniacmaaniac Members, Plex Pass Posts: 190 Plex Pass

    @mwc_trexx said:

    @maaniac said:
    From reading the above does this mean that any file which was sync'd to the phone will play fine? The issue is only with streaming or transcoding from the server?

    That has been my experience so far on my iPad Pro, but haven't done extensive testing yet.

    Are you able to sync new items to your iPad?

  • mwc_trexxmwc_trexx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 132 Plex Pass

    @maaniac said:

    @mwc_trexx said:

    That has been my experience so far on my iPad Pro, but haven't done extensive testing yet.

    Are you able to sync new items to your iPad?

    Yes. I didn't have any sync'd content on my iPad prior to updating to IOS 11b1.

  • Nicode70Nicode70 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 132 Plex Pass

    before i begin, i did install ios11 dev beta 1 on my iPad, not my primary device. so i'm not complaining, just pointing out some facts to help the dev for futur updates.

    same problem here, I'm unable to stream videos from my local server. audio is fine. i'm able to sync videos and to play synced videos.

    to be continued with dev beta 2.

    PMS: Mac mini (mid 2011) , core i3 @2,3GHz, RAM 8Go, 128go SSD and 2To HDD,

    now fully working with Sickrage

    AppleTV 4 - iOS Devices - Lifetime Plex Pass Subscriber

    image
  • b1tchell@gmail.comb1tchell@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 15 Plex Pass

    This bug also affects Apple TV client running iOS 11

  • drdbdrdb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

    @b1tchell@gmail.com said:
    This bug also affects Apple TV client running iOS 11

    Are you experiencing this only with transcoding or direct stream as well?

  • kevinkeenankevinkeenan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

    I am having the same issue with iOS 11 and tvOS 11.

  • kevinkeenankevinkeenan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

    @drdb said:

    @b1tchell@gmail.com said:
    This bug also affects Apple TV client running iOS 11

    Are you experiencing this only with transcoding or direct stream as well?

    On aTV it doesn't matter if it's transcoding or not.

    @drdb said:
    Did some experimentation and I've come to the conclusion that this only happens for video with AC-3 encoded audio that has to be transcoded. MP4s with AAC audio work just fine both when direct played or transcoded. I can also confirm that playback does work in Plex Web.

    You may be on to something here. My daughter is watching a movie right now that is an MKV with audio in DTS 5.1 and the status in the Now Playing section of the web interface shows 'Transcoding DCA to EAC3'. Although, one of the movies she tried to play earlier that wouldn't work is also DTS 5.1.

  • drdbdrdb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

    Update for all: latest iOS Plex Beta fixes this. Just got it, so still have to test some more but seems to be fixed :)

  • bretswinneybretswinney Members, Plex Pass Posts: 84 Plex Pass

    I am having trouble getting the latest beta to install. Gets stuck enrolling certificate. Anyone have a solution?

  • Michal ŽilaMichal Žila Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

    @drdb said:
    Update for all: latest iOS Plex Beta fixes this. Just got it, so still have to test some more but seems to be fixed :)

    is there any way to get iOS Plex Beta App? Probably on invitations using Apple's Test Flight?

  • N-U-M-A-NN-U-M-A-N Members, Plex Pass Posts: 69 Plex Pass
  • drdbdrdb Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

    Update: after further testing, Plex Beta has unfortunately not fixed our issue.

«1345678
Sign In or Register to comment.