If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex is trying to transcode 4k HEVC files instead of direct play.

TothFamilyDirectorTothFamilyDirector Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So i have an interesting conundrum recently my Plex server has begun to transcode all of my 4k video's to my Nvidia shield. While i expect this from the one apple tv i have in the house i expect the nvidia shield to be able to direct play that. No offense or anything against plex but even with 8 physical cores and 108gb of DDR3 memory it still isnt powerful enough to transcode the 4k hevc files. It's been recommended i should go back to the mp4 standard but the file size goes up considerably........ Any advice?

Best Answer

• Kris7701Kris7701 Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

I'm not sure Plex even will fix our problem.

Plex official 4K support:
    Container: MP4
    Resolution: 3840x2160 or smaller
    Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
    Video Frame Rate: 30fps
    Video Bit Depth: 8

So no mkv, and no HD audio since MP4 doesn't suppport it, and not even 10bit depth.
    In my opinion Plex have become more focused on cord cutting, the their original vision.

If they were working on it, we would at least have seen some acknowledgement of the problem.

Answers

• TothFamilyDirectorTothFamilyDirector Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes its all on the same network and before you ask its all gigabit ethernet throughout the whole house. I spent last summer running all the dang cables and buying top of the line consumer home routers so i know for a fact that isn't it. There's no way i could be using up the entire bandwidth stream internally. I can easily transfer data files across it at 125MB/s.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,036Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@TothFamilyDirector said:
    So i have an interesting conundrum recently my Plex server has begun to transcode all of my 4k video's to my Nvidia shield. While i expect this from the one apple tv i have in the house i expect the nvidia shield to be able to direct play that.

The Shield can direct play 4K HEVC. Sometimes the audio will prevent that. You'll need to provide the XML for the video so we can see if it should work or not. Having said that, there are a few reports that 4k isn't working anymore, which we are looking into.

No offense or anything against plex but even with 8 physical cores and 108gb of DDR3 memory

108GB of RAM? What? The device has 3GB of RAM. They are 8 cores, but they are ARM processors, which still aren't in the league of desktop CPUs, but they are getting better. However, the Shield uses hardware transcoding so the CPU isn't all too important anyways.

The shield doesnt process plex for me like it can. I actually use a windows server with a 12tb san and another 12tb network attached storage device. However sadly the WD Pro device doesnt have enough processing power since its arm and the gpu on it cant be utilized to transcode anything yet. So plex is actually ran on a windows 10 hyper v OS.

I dont have an xml document for the audio file but i do have a media info report i hope that helps. Otherwise where do i find the XML document.

Also so you guys know i have a Sony HT-ST9 7.1 surround sound system and the other thing since the last update thats been causing an issue is now when i start any content with surround sound audio it really loudly clips like the display rate is changing but it emits a really loud static chime for just a second before playing the video.

Here is also a copy of my plex logs for reference. I noticed when i turned the subtitles off it seemed to transcode a little quicker however i also noticed to that when you try and skip with an HEVC file for some reason it when it restarts the transcode it glitches out showing half a green screen and half nothing but artifacts then after a couple minutes itll catch up.

This is the error the client on the shield is giving me.

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 16,036Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey, your logs actually indicate there is no transcoding going on. I believe the Shield can't support 4K hevc in am mkv so it is converting just the container. Everything looks fine on your system. We think we've identified an issue where the wrong error is being shown, but in this case, it isn't affecting the video.

4k hevc in am? What containers should be used then? I was under the understanding the shield could play ANY media file. Even the newest hevc formats. So whats the deal?

I mean in reality i guess i need to know what to do to fix this? Is there a particular hevc encoder i should be using, because i honestly just use the open source varients.

I believe the Shield can't support 4K hevc in an mkv

Sorry. Fixed. Remux the file into an MP4 and see if that makes a difference.

• lobanov.antonlobanov.anton Posts: 82Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

downgrade plex version to 6.0.1
    this is a bug of new version

• timstephens24timstephens24 Posts: 342Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited June 29

Definitely an issue in the new version, all my test files that used to direct play don't and Plex tries to transcode them.

Denon X4200W 5.2.4 --> LG OLED65C6P
    Apple TV 4K -- Channels App for TV+DVR
    HDHomeRun Prime (x2) // HDHomeRun Connect
    NVIDIA SHIELD Pro // Intel NUC D54250WYK // XB1S // PS4
    ============= SYNOLOGY DS1815+ DS513 =============

Just to provide an update. The devs have identified a bug. We're working on a fix.

Sadly as an update even in the mp4 container, it isn't working either.

Here is the file info ive been trying to retrancode based on what was asked with no luck. (btw takes a long time to reprocess these)

Any thoughts?

• bzmwillemsenbzmwillemsen Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex , any update on the fix? I am having the same issue. Was brought here from my question: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/279200/plex-showing-outputting-video-when-clicking-back-from-player

I have attached my xml file for an example video that reproduces this issue. My file is contained in an mp4.

No update. Still working on it.

• efelix22@gmail.comefelix22@gmail.com Posts: 4Members ✭✭

Settings>Local Quality>"Original" is no longer an available option. It has been replaced with "Maximum," which doesn't support 4k (UHD) nor HDR. I had to uninstall all updates to watch my 4k or HDR content. This is a real bummer considering Plex lists 4k HDR as a supported format for the Nvidia Shield Android TV. Note: there is also a thread on the same issue in the Android TV subsection.

• dotnetterdotnetter Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@efelix22@gmail.com said:
    Settings>Local Quality>"Original" is no longer an available option. It has been replaced with "Maximum," which doesn't support 4k (UHD) nor HDR. I had to uninstall all updates to watch my 4k or HDR content. This is a real bummer considering Plex lists 4k HDR as a supported format for the Nvidia Shield Android TV. Note: there is also a thread on the same issue in the Android TV subsection.

How do you remove the updates?... Updates to the media server app I'm guessing?