If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex with Vizio SmartCast

I just bought a Vizio E70U-D3. I can connect my Roku to and use Plex from it, and I cast to it from my Plex app on a device, that all works just fine.

But really want to do is use Plex from the Vizio SmartCast app, like I can with Netflix or Hulu. SmartCast has several built in sub-apps, but no Plex, and no obvious way to add new ones.

Am I missing something, or is casting from the Plex app now the preferred way of using Plex with SmartCast?

I do have PlexPass, in case that matters.

Tagged:

Answers

• JonnyVJonnyV Posts: 45Members ✭✭

I'd also like to know if Plex will be added as an app to the onscreen Smartcast GUI.

• jrsquaredjrsquared Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes please! I would love this as well.

• saarlsaarl Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes Please!! +1 vote for Smartcast App

• AliquamAliquam Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Another vote! Here's a link to an article on some background as to how the 'apps' function/behave and ownership.

Quote from article:
    "Matt McRae, Vizio’s chief technology officer, took to AVSForum (where he maintains an active presence) to explain the revised user interface to the company’s most fervent users.

It would be wrong to think we are porting a bunch of native apps to the screen and doing an about-face on Cast. SmartCast TV is just SmartCast Mobile built for the 10ft experience. Meaning the UX is actually driven from the cloud and the same backend servers as SmartCast mobile. There is no native app running... which means we can add features, improve design, add content, etc without having to do an app or firmware update. Also, the apps "running" in the TV are actually cloud based HTML5 interfaces that also can be updated without downloads or firmware updates.
    So these aren’t regular “apps” that you’d need to update through some TV app store. They’re HTML5 apps that the TV loads from the cloud; the streaming companies themselves have full control over pushing new features or other changes. McRae confirms as much in a later reply:

When Hulu wants to update their app they make a change on their server. Immediately all SmartCast displays will be updated since an "app launch" is basically just loading it from their server. They can update their app as often as they wish and you will always have the latest without having to download code to your display."

• msneillmsneill Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So more or less we need an app made by plex for the P and M class televisions. I hope this is something they plan on doing.

• wandamartin3wandamartin3 Posts: 1Members

This would be pretty awesome.

• gbuchholzgbuchholz Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes Please. This would be awesome!