If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Latest Roku Firmware Release Broke Plex

13»

Comments

• KCBTVKCBTV Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Obviously the Roku firmware needs to be fixed, the downgrade is just a temporary workaround. If you have multiple devices and they are on the same account, you can grab all the serial numbers without having to walk around from here:

https://my.roku.com/account

I've had to send the email to get 3 of mine downgraded as the secret menu won't do it for me; will update when I hear back.

• rwsloanerwsloane Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I started seeing the same thing on Wednesday night on my Roku 3.

@KCBTV said:
    Started seeing the same issue with one Roku 3 two days ago, and another Roku 3 today. So far it seems just to be Plex, but the symptoms sound the same... plays fine for some time, then garbled green pixelated screen, and it either freezes or the audio keeps playing. Sometimes there are still (completely intact) subtitles visible over the pixelated miss. Smells like a video codec issue.

I'll check tonight and see if I can roll back the Roku firmware (and disable auto-updates).

• ACR ServerACR Server Posts: 22Members ✭✭

I am beyond angry at Roku right now.

1 They blame Plex and other Apps for the issues.

2 they are using us customers as the Guinea pigs. It appears they didn't even bother to test the Firmware before shoving it out into our Roku's.

3 Remove the option to roll back our Roku firmware.

4 They ask for our information to put us on a List to roll back one by one (Manually), Which no one has confirmed they have even got a roll back.

5 It has now been a Month since this issue was first confirmed without them rolling us back as they force us to be beta testers without actually wanting to be beta testers.

They claim it's not wide spread but that's them blowing smoke up our ****.

I have contacted local news stations and Hope they get this out there because it is a huge issue and poor business. I feel sorry for everyone of us along with the new people that purchase a Roku without known what they are getting themselves into. I will never purchase another Roku as long as I live and never recommend it.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,862Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just to let everyone know my solution of using other devices instead of Roku is working wonderfully.

I have loaded up my Raspberry PI 3 with the embedded Plex Media Player and for over 24 hours of actual operation I have had not even one glitch. Also during the last two days I have used both Plex for Kodi on my Shield TV and an app called MrMC (costs about $3.00) on my Fire TV and I have had no problems with them but I only used them for a few TV shows each as I like PMP's interface better.

I have not missed my Rokus at all.

The only negative is that I now have to switch inputs on my TV and HDMI switch to accomplish some things that used to involve switching apps on my Roku but I have a Harmony with a hub and switching activities is not much slower than switching apps used to be.

I have informed Roku of my displeasure and that their devices are no longer essential to me but they figure that the future purchases I might make and the recommendations I might make are not important enough to bother with. They have not even responded to my emails and PMs I have sent to several of their people that I have had good relations with in the past.

My advice to everyone with Roku problems resulting from their lack of proper testing before release followed by several VERY stupid moves in trying to contain the damage is to abandon the Roku as completely as possible. There are plenty of other solutions that work quite well and there is no reason to put up with the pain Roku has fostered upon its customers.

Remember, this one we cannot blame Plex for at all. It is all Roku's fault.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

@Elijah_Baley said:
    Just to let everyone know my solution of using other devices instead of Roku is working wonderfully.

I have loaded up my Raspberry PI 3 with the embedded Plex Media Player and for over 24 hours of actual operation I have had not even one glitch. Also during the last two days I have used both Plex for Kodi on my Shield TV and an app called MrMC (costs about $3.00) on my Fire TV and I have had no problems with them but I only used them for a few TV shows each as I like PMP's interface better.

I have not missed my Rokus at all.

The only negative is that I now have to switch inputs on my TV and HDMI switch to accomplish some things that used to involve switching apps on my Roku but I have a Harmony with a hub and switching activities is not much slower than switching apps used to be.

I have informed Roku of my displeasure and that their devices are no longer essential to me but they figure that the future purchases I might make and the recommendations I might make are not important enough to bother with. They have not even responded to my emails and PMs I have sent to several of their people that I have had good relations with in the past.

My advice to everyone with Roku problems resulting from their lack of proper testing before release followed by several VERY stupid moves in trying to contain the damage is to abandon the Roku as completely as possible. There are plenty of other solutions that work quite well and there is no reason to put up with the pain Roku has fostered upon its customers.

Remember, this one we cannot blame Plex for at all. It is all Roku's fault.

Thank you for the information. I will be possibly doing the same thing as you have now.

• StephenHStephenH Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 2017

4 They ask for our information to put us on a List to roll back one by one (Manually), Which no one has confirmed they have even got a roll back.

Just informing the group that after submitting the details of my Roku 3 4200X as per instructions I have now been rolled back to 7.6 "automagically" sometime in the last few hours ... so it seems Roku ARE at least doing SOMETHING to placate us :-)

StephenH

• midwaybritmidwaybrit Posts: 110Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had the same problem with my Roku 3, picture breaks up and reboots mid way through every thing I play on Plex.
    I was watching using the Plex Pass Beta channel, when I switched to the regular Plex App the problem ceased.
    So this is clearly an issue with the firmware being used exclusively in the latest Plex Pass Roku channel.

It took them a month to do anything for their customers. That is poor business.
    Take a month to make a lot of people unhappy with their product and support, They used us as Guinea pig. Playing immature games with us in the process by forcing the broken update on us and taking away the option to roll back our firmware.

• StephenHStephenH Posts: 16Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@ACR Server said:
    It took them a month to do anything for their customers. That is poor business.

Absolutely agree with everything you are saying, my post was just by way of information that the rollback HAS now happened for me at least, and hopefully others can confirm? I still see MUCH trouble ahead before this is resolved however!

StephenH

• Gomer PyleGomer Pyle Posts: 10Members ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Roku should have recalled this buggy mess. Yeah like some of you I have totally ran out of faith with Roku. Time to move on to something else.

• kanabrewskikanabrewski Posts: 62Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Question? I'm a 4400X-Roku 4, as of this evening I'm getting offered firmware 7.7.0.4135? Is this as of today a fix firmware?

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,862Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@kanabrewski said:
    Question? I'm a 4400X-Roku 4, as of this evening I'm getting offered firmware 7.7.0.4135? Is this as of today a fix firmware?

I would say avoid it as long as you can! But be aware that your Roku will update itself (That is actually illegal in 18 states) when it is idle and connected to the internet.

Unless you are having one of the few problems that 7.7x is supposed to fix the upgrade seems to cause more problems than it fixes. Hopefully 7.8x will be better but I am not holding out great hopes. The Roku employee that is in charge of rollbacks has reported he is overwhelmed with rollback requests and is having a hard time keeping up.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain
    "If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them." - Isaac Asimov
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” - Isaac Asimov

• kanabrewskikanabrewski Posts: 62Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm actually on 7.7.0.4117-17 and works ok besides the plex drop off at around 45 mins

13»