Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

mkv avi won't play LG upgrader

town1town1 Posts: 2Members
I have LG smart TV upgrader ST600 using plex for windows i can play all my h264 mp4 files but i cannot get mkv and avi files to play keep getting error cannot play media.The LG smart TV upgrader can play all the files with a external hard drive pluged into the usb port so i am at a loss as to why it can't play them with plex through the media link.Hope someone can help sort this out.thanks

Comments

• lgtclgtc Posts: 474Members
    There's a problem with playing files from a Plex Media Server right now. The programmers are currently working on fixing it.
  • BlueyBluey Posts: 3Members
    edited July 2011

There's a problem with playing files from a Plex Media Server right now. The programmers are currently working on fixing it.

Please hurry, I am using wild media server but would much prefer plex!!!!

Cheers
    Bluey
  • magnar81magnar81 Posts: 5Members
    Any news about the fix for streaming video from plex?
    Not yet. I just got back from vacation, I'll talk to them about it again this evening.

Right now there is no Media Link support for mkv, avi, or 1080p.

(.mp4, .wmv, mpg do work right now)

.mkv will have to be added, of course. Not sure about avi.

Not yet. I just got back from vacation, I'll talk to them about it again this evening.

I got an update yesterday and i was hoping the plex issue was fixed but i am still not able to watch movies from my plex server.
    What was the news in the new firmware? is there a site where i can check myself?
  • horsehorse Posts: 117Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    @Nick

What containers are supported by Media Link?
    mkv, avi, mp4 etc ?

What Video Codec's?
    H.264, Divx, mpeg2. AVC, VC-1 etc

What Audio Codecs are supported?
    mp3, AC3 etc?

This seems to be the achilles heal for LG, I have other hardware that supports a great deal of formats. LG could do with a sample of lots of different samples of media for testing.
    I am still waiting to see if they resolve and "format not supported" for an MKV file (USB, Windows Share, DLNA) that contains a VC1 1080P stream. AVC 1080P works just fine.
    Some Blu Ray studios use AVC, other use VC-1 so some work (Avatar) some don't (The Dark Knight)
    edited July 2011
    Current Media Link support
    MP4 and ASF

When using file extension mp4
    Video Codecs:
    H.264, MPEG4 P2

Audio Codecs:
    ACC
    AC3

When using file extensions wmv, asf, wma
    Video Codecs:
    H.264, MPEG4 P2, MPEG4 V3, MPEG2, VC1

Audio Codecs:
    MP1
    AC3
    DTS
    WMA
    WMA Pro
    PCM

I'll tell them about the VC1, both should work.
  • pjmcdpjmcd Posts: 774Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Do you mean there is a possibility that xvid won't work with an avi container ever? That would be interesting.

philip
    Since everything else we make supports it, support for it is supposed to be added also.
  • mrdmrd Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have a 47"LW550W and I can play some .mkv and some I can't play at all... That I read on the forum I get mixed answers.
    Does the Media Link support .mkv and .avi or doesn't it?

Rather not buy another media extender when I bought the LG TV !!
  • JermsJerms Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass
    mrd wrote:

I have a 47"LW550W and I can play some .mkv and some I can't play at all... That I read on the forum I get mixed answers.
    Does the Media Link support .mkv and .avi or doesn't it?

Rather not buy another media extender when I bought the LG TV !!

More than likely there is something wrong with "some" of your mkv files. I have run multiple MKV files that i have encoded through media link with zero issues. The only files i occasionally had problems with, were ones that people brought over on flash drives.

How are you encoding them, ie: program, settings, codec etc.
  • mrdmrd Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Jerms wrote:

More than likely there is something wrong with "some" of your mkv files. I have run multiple MKV files that i have encoded through media link with zero issues. The only files i occasionally had problems with, were ones that people brought over on flash drives.

How are you encoding them, ie: program, settings, codec etc.

VLC and Boxee on my Mac have no problem playing them...

is this fixed yet or any news on the problem?
  • rusty100rusty100 Posts: 6Members
    i bought a lg st600 smart media upgrader just to stream my plex media from my mac to which i've not been able to do as of yet because of this error. an update would be much appreciated.
    Sorry, no update yet.
  • DinkyDinky Posts: 17Members ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Bought ST600 hoping it would be able to play my movies via Plex, but it doesn't. Only get "cannot play the media" for each and every movie.
    Playing these movies via the "movie" option (not Plex) does occasionally work, but fails on many MKV's. Sometimes no sound. MOV Homevideo's are not even shown here, let alone play.
    Why put something on the market if it is not working properly ? Is like selling cars without wheels.
  • rusty100rusty100 Posts: 6Members
    Dinky wrote:

Bought ST600 hoping it would be able to play my movies via Plex, but it doesn't. Only get "cannot play the media" for each and every movie.
    Playing these movies via the "movie" option (not Plex) does occasionally work, but fails on many MKV's. Sometimes no sound. MOV Homevideo's are not even shown here, let alone play.
    Why put something on the market if it is not working properly ? Is like selling cars without wheels.

agreed. i bought mine just specifically to stream my plex stuff to a different room. very fustrating that its sold with a feature it doesnt have. surely this is false advertising.
  • neilbayneilbay Posts: 38Members ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    rusty100 wrote:

agreed. i bought mine just specifically to stream my plex stuff to a different room. very fustrating that its sold with a feature it doesnt have. surely this is false advertising.

I've basically given up waitng for the promised changes in order for it to play any of my video files - given that I bought it to play streamed movies its a big disappointment - what a waste of money.

Most people I know want it for receiving streamed movies. I was the unlucky 1st out of a large group of friends to purchase one - I have been advising them to look at other products and not to purchase it.

Guess Lucky Goldstar is not so lucky for me. Maybe why they changed to just LG and push it as Life's Good instead
  • DinkyDinky Posts: 17Members ✭✭
    @Nick: an appropriate LG answer would be highly appreciated. And very, very necessary, believe me. LG is now throwing their name away.
  • javi14javi14 Posts: 2Members
    I am trying to stream movies from Plex hosted on Mac OSX (Lion). While I can see all the movies and metadata on the ST600, I get the "can't play media" error on every video. I am able to see my pictures from iphoto and play HD trailers from the movie plugins. I am also able to stream MKV movies threw the movie folder not plex. I can also play the same movies thrwe the USB on the ST600. Help. I see that other users are having the same issue. Is there going to be a fix soon. I called LG and they dont know why the plex option does not work.