If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

08/07/17 XBOX Update (Alpha) resulted in grey letterbox bars on 1080 videos

xetnezxetnez Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm in the Alpha Ring for the xbox Insiders. The latest update, 08/07, brought a new UI to the xbox. It also brought grey borders to the top and bottom of 1080 videos.

It goes without saying, it really sucks. I checked Netflix, and the 1080 streams there are still black on the letterbox borders.

Picture aint the greatest in the low light, but you can see the grey on the bottom part pretty well.

Comments

• c0okiem0nc0okiem0n Posts: 2Members

I am having this issue as well.
    In my case, its a very bright grey letterbox which is like a neon sign to me and annoying.
    Unless the video itself is in 1080P 5.1 it plays with this grey letterbox.
    So annoying as to how a simple update ruins the experience.
    I thought it was settings on the Xbox itself since in video setting there is an option to check, which allows apps to add borders. I have unchecked it and rebooted my console without any luck.
    I even tried looking on the server side for solution, nothing.
    In the app itself there is no option to remove the letterbox which is stupid because stretching the video is usually a given option in most video streaming apps.

• mrexcusemrexcuse Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any changes to HEVC support and green screen issue with the latest xbox update?

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 356Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@xetnez So annoying that every time MS makes an update it breaks something in Plex. It might be worth changing to a later preview ring. Probably too late for this particular issue, but might prevent some headaches from future updates.

• xetnezxetnez Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@mbarylski said:
    It might be worth changing to a later preview ring.

nah. half the fun is finding whats broke. frustrating, but makes me smile a little on the inside.

It would be nice if Plex actually had a real bug reporting site, rather than the forums they never look at.

• adamskoogadamskoog Posts: 2,378Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Is there a possibility you can try playing this through the Xbox Media Player app and see if it also occurs? That would be a better test than comparing to Netflix since they should be using the same player (or at least similar).

I didn't think about that @adamskoog . I'll report back shortly

• mbarylskimbarylski Posts: 356Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@xetnez said:
    nah. half the fun is finding whats broke. frustrating, but makes me smile a little on the inside.

It would be nice if Plex actually had a real bug reporting site, rather than the forums they never look at.

LOL Living on the edge huh? Glad you're willing to work out the kinks for the rest of us. :smile:

Back with results, and better pictures.

Plex: Grey

Hulu: Black

Media Player: Grey

Netflix: Black

Movies&TV: Black

HBO, oddly enough, now has some sort of oddity going on. Just for the curious. Wide gap on the left, skinny gap on top and bottom. Like it's shifted to the right.

• adamskoogadamskoog Posts: 2,378Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I've pinged the devs with a link to your screen shots.

This really looks like something the Microsoft changed with the underlying player though, so likely won't be much that Plex can do. Should probably run a bit of a video from the Xbox Media Player and send them feedback about the incorrect coloring.

Way ahead of you, I report all bugs I see to the XBDevs.

Given it affects a 3rd ptyapp, I also wanted to alert the PlexDevs.

• mike4001mike4001 Posts: 556Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I also just sent feedback on the console via Xbox Insider app for this issue.

• KyrluckechuckKyrluckechuck Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Holy hell this is frustrating, it's only affecting my movies oddly enough though :/ (TV shows were unaffected)

• c0okiem0nc0okiem0n Posts: 2Members

All these headaches would go away if Plex had Aspect Ratio setting like VLC player. That setting would solve a lot of issues. I have videos that I are in 1080p but plays with the borders in VLC as well. All I do is change the aspect ratio and it solves the issue for me.

• TEEllis22TEEllis22 Posts: 3Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited August 17

Same issue here in the Xbox Alpha ring for my Xbox One. I have not tested any other streaming apps yet except HBOGo which has an inch wide semi transparent bar on the top and left side of my video.

Hope MS and Plex can get this resolved soon.

Thanks for the post.

Update 8/17: Last nights alpha ring update fixed issue in HBOGo but nothing has changed with Plex yet.

• kingshillbillykingshillbilly Posts: 17Members ✭✭

Its been a few days since the last post about this, has anyone heard anything, or found a workaround?

@TEEllis22 said:
    Update 8/17: Last nights alpha ring update fixed issue in HBOGo but nothing has changed with Plex yet.

Hadn't noticed, I'll have to go check it out. thnx for the update

• thevictors51thevictors51 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have had these issues as well, Xbox preview alpha.

Did today's Alpha update fix it?

Not at home at the moment to check it out.

Yes actually, Today's release fixed it.

Sadly, they never acknowledged it was a problem in any of the release notes or known issues.

No, it is definitely NOT fixed in todays alpha release.

Can anyone confirm ?