Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

How to reset the System bundle

elanelan Sheriff of PlexvilleMauiPosts: 9,034Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
edited December 2015 in Windows
edit: The following procedure is no longer necessary or even possible as of version 0.9.12.x of Plex Media Server

Can help recover from various scenarios

STEP ONE:

Quit the Plex Media Server.

STEP TWO:

Type the following text into an Explorer window or into the Start\Run textbox:

On Windows XP, Server 2003 and Home Server:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins

On Windows Vista, Server 2008, 7 and Server 2008 R2:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins

STEP THREE:

Delete Framework.bundle and System.bundle

STEP FOUR:

Restart Plex Media Server, you're all done!

PS: if all else seems to be working but the Plex/Web interface seems to be having issues you can also delete webclient.bundle in step three

Comments

• Kavin007Kavin007 Posts: 9Members
    well dear thanks for sharing i was not aware of this :)
  • nope. didnt work. i have been trying for more than 4 hours to get this stupid thing to work. it worked fine yesterday when i installed it. still didnt solve me original problem, but now i have to solve why the LG ST600 doesnt connect to the plex server...

i am almost ready to take the ST600 back to futureshop for a refund.
  • CiscoluvCiscoluv Posts: 24Members
    edited January 2013
    You the man, you know your **** dude, you are a "Plex Loard Jedi Knight Master Mind" ...(lol) It works like a charm now, Plex Server is running smooth as silk,yeah, BooYaaah ...(lol) This info should be a sticky, because so many people have had this very same problem, that's what I saw when doing my Google search concerning this problem, but nobody had a fix except you ... Again thanks a ton, you have made by day, yes ...!
  • wavswprwavswpr Posts: 1Members
    Allright! Your instructions sorted one of my problems. Thanks!
  • drkokandydrkokandy Posts: 6Members
    This solved an odd problem I was having where only my Roku (not my Mac, another PC, or Android) could view available content and channels or playback items. Thanks!
  • frode@lillerud.nofrode@lillerud.no Posts: 45Members, Plex Pass
    Uhm, probably a basic question, but the thread doesn't say, so I'll just ask.

What is the "System bundle", and why would I ever want to reset it?
  • GPSJaneGPSJane Posts: 11Members

+1
  • prush242prush242 Posts: 1Members
    edited February 2013
    Scalpel78 wrote:

+1
  • delorean01delorean01 Posts: 1Members
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins

for both system and framework.bundles
  • mountainloafersmountainloafers Posts: 5Members
    Thank you! Was thinking my router was acting goofy. Could not publish my server after it had been working great until this morning. I followed you steps and now I am back up and running.

Now to figure out why I cant add a tv section and I will be good to go.
  • smudgefacesmudgeface Posts: 11Members ✭✭
    A simple question has been asked...where is the simple response? Again, why would anyone want to do this?
  • PopoWowPopoWow Posts: 1Members
    I was having trouble where, randomly, episodes were failing to pull show info. Thus they would show up as something like "Episode 17" with no summary or pictures. I tried this... and it fixed it!

So, if you're having some issues with whatever (metadata, connectivity)... perhaps give this a shot first. Seems like it's fairly safe to experiment by resetting those bundles.

Good luck!
  • billbmsnbillbmsn Posts: 6Members

It's not obvious to me how to quit the media server.  The program listing has no enable/disable button.  Does unpublishing the server do that in the media manager?  Or do you use Windows Task Manager to kill the process?

• MidniteoylMidniteoyl Posts: 10Members
    Scalpel78 wrote on February 5 2013, 9:49 PM: »

No ones going to answer this?

Look people, there are a lot of us out here who have ggod knowledge and experience for most things, but do NOT have time to try and learn everything there is to know about Plex by decompliling the code.. can you PLEASE just answer the questions?
    ?

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 8,474Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    edited March 2013
    there are a million reasons why you may want/need to do this. the basic symptom is "my sever is not working right in some fashion, let me try this first" cuz the system.bundle got corrupt somehow
  • vjmassivevjmassive Posts: 1Members
    billbmsn wrote on March 10 2013, 1:21 PM: »

It's not obvious to me how to quit the media server.  The program listing has no enable/disable button.  Does unpublishing the server do that in the media manager?  Or do you use Windows Task Manager to kill the process?

Windows= right click on media server in notifications area and choose exit

• HarryO53HarryO53 Posts: 318Members ✭✭
    Thanks! My OS X install has always been stable as a rock! Win 7 & XP have ALWAYS been flakey. Will reset tomorrow and hold my breath. Seems easier than complete uninstall/reinstalls which all ultimately corrupt regardless of win machine!
  • NewstechNewstech Posts: 101Members
    Harry F., please give us an update?
  • chuck_2013chuck_2013 Posts: 2Members

Sorry but what is the system bundle and why does it need to be reset sometimes?

• BigWheelBigWheel Posts: 8,474Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee
    Its what controls the base install of the server i think its what controls transcoding among other things. Generally folks have trouble with the server starting but could be any number of various symptoms. AV software on windows generally is the culprit in corrupting those bundles. It is simply a simple step to try to resolve an issue. After deleting and restarting the server the it will install "fresh" copies of those files.

There are other bundles too. Like if you get a 404 error while trying to get to Plex/web (what some folks think of as the server interface) you would delete the webclient.bundle
This discussion has been closed.