Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Bugs and Requests - LG TVs

lgtclgtc Posts: 474Members
edited July 2015 in LG Medialink
This is a list of bugs and feature requests.

This is not a discussion thread.

Feel free to post your own, but I may most likely occasionaly prune posts and remove fodder. Some of you may prefer to post in another thread and then let me copy it over here (If you don't like other people editing your posts).

This is for LG TVs with Media Link only

Comments

• lgtclgtc Posts: 474Members
    edited November 2011

Bugs & Missing Required Features

Media Link with PMS on Windows 7
    Some people still have trouble seeing PMS runnning on Win7.

3D Aspect Ratio
    2.35:1 aspect ratio does not work propely with 3D on Media Link. It distorts it.

Many plugins do not work
    The TV doesn't appear to have the proper codec to handle some of the streaming.

Subtitles in 3D
    3D subtitles are not in front, which means, sometimes it's hard to read them because they are technically behind other things in the 3d movie which my eyes cannot focus to properly.

Page Down Scrolling
    Right now I don't use the magic remote and I have a VERY large list of tv shows; would be nice if we could use channel up/down to scroll page by page through the list. This is listed as required feature because the remote is labeled for this already and the other apps already support it.

Add TV Show name to title when browsing...
    Right now if you browse tv show by recently aired, etc all you see is the episode titles and there is no indication of the tv show name. When you have many many tv shows being added its almost impossible to know what show the episode belongs to.

Use AC3 as default
    If the file has both DTS and AC3, use AC3. Currently, it attempts to downconvert the DTS to stereo.

Fast Forward & Rewind
    On firmware 4.02.24. Still can't FF/SKIP MPEG2 .TS file

MediaLink plays wrong audio-track
    MediaLink plays wrong audio-track. It ignores settings in Plex Media Server for preferable audio track language. Maybe it is related to inability to select audio-track in Medialink? (I vote +1 for this feature request)

aspect ratio is not saved
    The setting for the aspect ratio is not saved, so every video plays with the setting "Full" (while "Original" was selected by me before)

Warn before exit
    Accidently hitting "Exit" on the remote will quit to the normal TV mode. There is no way getting directly back to the place where "Exit" was hit. So it would be nice if either a dialog "Are you sure you want to quit?" is displayed or hitting "Back" on the remote will bring the user back to where he was

Feature Requests

.m4a support

DTS Audio
    Some programs default to DTS now. So many people have videos made with DTS. It is inconvenient to have to re-mux lots of files.

Audio Track
    Ability to select the audio track. For files with multiple lanuguages.

Home Screen
    The Media Link home screen screen does not match the style of the Plex menus. It should have a more modern style. The ability to use different skins would be nice.

Quick Media Link
    There should be a button that takes the user directly to Media Link. And/or a option to start the TV on the Media Link home screen.

Indicate via graphic / picture of tv shows watched already
    Since it is too hard to navigate into unwatched tv shows section, would be nice to show an indication that the show has been watched already in the main sections like in android client.

Add a application folder for plex applications
    Currently any applications I install I need to modify the source code of the plug-in to run from /'video/...' instead of '/application/...' which sucks when wanting to upgrade apps

Mark / mass mark shows that have been watched
    Would be a nice feature for a future version for those of us with an existing library switching to plex. I have 10,000 show of which over 9,000 are already watched

Connection Speed Info
    Show the network connection speed.

Add a preference to enable filter by default
    It’s too many clicks and navigation on the remote at the present time (really it is) to select a filter for unwatched TV shows filters, etc. Would be nice to have a preference were we could set unwatched, etc filter by default saving me at least 2 clicks.

ISF Video Modes
    Add access to the ISF (Expert) video modes in Media Link.

Series Playback
    Option to play a series of shows in order.

Delete Videos
    Option to delete videos.

Sleep Timer
    Access to the sleep timer while using Media Link.

Video Queue
    Ability to watch videos back to back. A Queue or mark feature.

Multiple Subtitle Tracks
    Support for MKVs with multiple subtitles.

Remote Code
    Add an IR remote code for Media Link or as an input. This will make Media Link usable with a programmable remotes.

More Specific Error Menus
    E.g. If the video can't play because it doesn't support the codec, put that in the error so the user knows.

Transcoding Notice
    Some kind of notice or icon that tells the user Plex media Server is transcoding the video/audio.

Loop all menus and list
    Teh bottom of a list should link to the top of the list.

Film mode option
    This would fix the problems with Judder

Fixed

OSX Lion
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/28834-os-x-lion-medialink-and-lg-tv-42lk550/

3D Support

Resume
    It asks to resume where it left off, but doesn't actually resume where it left off. It starts from the beginning.

Memory/buffer Error
    Sometimes when trying to play a video that is not supported, the TV freezes. Media Link has to be closed...and sometimes the TV has to be unplugged.
  • aw_giantsfanaw_giantsfan Posts: 30Members ✭✭
    Hi, Nick. Thanks for compiling this and listening.

I would like an easy way to switch muxed audio tracks and subtitles in MKV files. (There may be a way to do it but I just got my TV 3 days ago and haven't figured it out yet, so even if it's possible, I'd like easier access to it. If there's a way to do it today, I'd like to know!)

I also would like the play, stop, fast forward, and rewind buttons on the remote to be able to control MediaLink playback.

Thanks,
    aw_giantsfan.
    edited July 2011
    Also, on the home screen, I would like the category titles to let the text wrap to 2 lines before truncating. There should be room.

Will there ever be VOB structure, .ISO, .img, or RMVB support? Thanks!
  • Jason MehringJason Mehring Posts: 281Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Awesome thread, here is another Feature Request that would be nice to see some time.

Delete Episodes
    The newest version of plex supports deleting episodes so it would be nice to have this option. It would be very handy to help manage large libraries.
  • pmillpmill Posts: 157Members ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]Thanks again for participating Nick. To add to already great suggestions here's a few more.[/font]

Q.Menu items:
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]1. Missing access to ISF video modes! (what about those with calibrated sets)[/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]2. Missing access to Sleep Timer. (Bedroom tv's)[/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]3. Doesn't remember settings even when watching multiple videos at a time.[/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"] [/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]Misc.[/font]
    [font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]1. Feature in TV Show section to play episodes continuously.[/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]2.[/font]
  • tiawaztiawaz Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    1. Ability to Skip Ahead/Skip Back/Fast Forward/Rewind/Resume from last played while playing MKV's
    2. Ability to select audio/subtitle Track
  • shankuconshankucon Posts: 10Members
    edited July 2011
    Obviously Windows 7x64 support.

Ability to manually change the cache (buffer) like you can in other versions of Plex. (Moreover, give us Windows users the same software as others).

Flash support for plugins....

On the YouTube plugin, it would be nice to view channel pages or something that will let me watch a live stream. Live YouTube streams are usually on the channel page of the YouTube user. Or have the live video show up on the video list.

I'd also like to see what my connection speed is through Plex. I stream HD over wifi and would like to see the actual speeds my internal network is getting on my TV through Plex, it will give me a better idea where to position my router, etc.

I really like Plex, it's miles better than regular DLNA, but I can't use it because I have Windows 7 x64! Fixing that should be priority number 1. As I understand it's up to LG to release a firmware update... please put some pressure on them and Microsoft.
  • james.culleton@gmail.comjames.culleton@gmail.com Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    shankucon wrote:

Obviously Windows 7x64 support.

Ability to manually change the cache (buffer) like you can in other versions of Plex. (Moreover, give us Windows users the same software as others).

Flash support for plugins....

On the YouTube plugin, it would be nice to view channel pages or something that will let me watch a live stream. Live YouTube streams are usually on the channel page of the YouTube user. Or have the live video show up on the video list.

I'd also like to see what my connection speed is through Plex. I stream HD over wifi and would like to see the actual speeds my internal network is getting on my TV through Plex, it will give me a better idea where to position my router, etc.

I really like Plex, it's miles better than regular DLNA, but I can't use it because I have Windows 7 x64! Fixing that should be priority number 1. As I understand it's up to LG to release a firmware update... please put some pressure on them and Microsoft.

I'm streaming PMS from my Windows 7 x64 machine to my LG TV... I did have some problems seeing the server (requiring a restart of the PMS), but other than that I'm all good.
  • james.culleton@gmail.comjames.culleton@gmail.com Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Whether it's a bug or a required feature I'm not sure, but at the moment subtitles contained within .MKV containers won't display.
  • shankuconshankucon Posts: 10Members
    Jimmah wrote:

I'm streaming PMS from my Windows 7 x64 machine to my LG TV... I did have some problems seeing the server (requiring a restart of the PMS), but other than that I'm all good.

The first couple of days I had my LG TV, PMS worked great on x64, then I couldn't connect anymore (the problem is wide-spread and well documented on this forum). When it did work, I could actually use .mkv subtitles, I think under video settings or "play" settings, something like that. I think if you press enter while the movie is playing with the remote the menu should pop up.
  • tmar89tmar89 Posts: 85Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    How about custom changes to the seek/jump time for videos? It seems to be about 2 minutes now.
    Updated the list
  • BjerryBjerry Posts: 8Members
    A more specific message than can not play / open media. Would be nice to know why Plex can't play/open the media while it is playing fine using dlna.
    I am still not sure if any transcoding is going on for my movie audio or video, can that be shown on the gui somewhere?
    For some movies Plex does not give a message but the loading never succeeds and the tv hangs, does not react on any remote control. have to shut it down and start it up again.
  • tiawaztiawaz Posts: 26Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Make the Menus wrap around when scrolling, e.g. when filtering movies by first letter: up from 0 would be Z
  • yvvvvvyvvvvv Posts: 33Members
    This is a bug between PMS 0.9.3.4 and OS X Lion I've already posted about in the LG Medialink forum and the Plex/Nine bugs forum: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/28834-os-x-lion-medialink-and-lg-tv-42lk550/
  • CrittonCritton Posts: 33Members
    Thanks Nick for the list.
    Those items are all very important to have. Especially the inability to change the Audio Track is sometimes a killer.
    Do you know if any of those Featuers/Bugs/Improvents made it to the To-Do list of the developers already?

At least one Point of the list seams to be fixed on my 55LW650s:

Resume
    It asks to resume where it left off, but doesn't actually resume where it left off. It starts from the beginning.
    For the few Videos I tested, this works fine.

So I really hope LG will continue to update the FW.
    Especially I would like to see a easier Way to launch the MediaLink app. I have so many unused legacy Inputs (Component, Composit and so on) in the Input source select list. Would be great if one of those could be replaced by the MediaLink "Input". But it should only be active if a Plex Server is found, to avoid confusion. A dedicated IR Scan code for the MediaLink for those of us with a programmable remote would also be a welcome addition.

-John
    Updated the list

Yes, the programmers and the Smart TV team receive this list on a regular basis.
    Thanks again for doing this, Nick.

I found another issue. While playing a MediaLink movie, with 2D -> 3D conversion turned on, the aspect ratio goes to "Full," and the aspect ratio controls no longer work. As a result, a 2.35:1 MediaLink movie in 2D -> 3D conversion mode becomes stretched and unwatchable.
  • staufj22staufj22 Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass
    Hi Nick,

Is it possible to add this as a request? 30 second skip forward and 7 second skip backward during playback.
    http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/28915-30-second-skip/

Thanks.
  • grASgrAS Posts: 3Members
    Hi I have n LG 32LW5500.

What problems I found (except that with Windows 7 64 BIT PMS doesnt work)

1) Web browser don't have proper Flash support (i watch a local Video sharing site) neither HTML 5.
    2) YouTube app do not allow you to connect to your channel (i have some unlisted movies uploaded - family shots).
    3) It is extremely difficult to type a search string on YouTube app. woks slow and is uterly bugged.
    4) Player doesn't play ISO, VOB format - not a big issue just a question if it will be implemented.
    6) Lots of .mkv files cant play sound tracks (says unknown format) even movie plays fluid. Could be too big rate ... not sure why.
    7) Web browser input keyboard also slow (even not so bugged as YouTube app).