If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4K YouTube and Vimeo clips save to Watch Later as 1080p max

ElJimador40ElJimador40 Posts: 135Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is this a bug or is 4K simply not supported yet? On both sites I'm changing the video settings from Auto to 4K before clicking the Plex It! bookmarketlet but under Watch Later they still only show as 1080p.

Best Answers

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,710Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

@ElJimador40 said:
    Is this a bug or is 4K simply not supported yet?

It's not a bug, it's not yet implemented in the URL Services code. For Vimeo I just added it. For YouTube it's currently not possible to add support for 720p+ videos due to 1080 and up all being in a format Plex cannot (yet?) handle.

On both sites I'm changing the video settings from Auto to 4K before clicking the Plex It! bookmarketlet but under Watch Later they still only show as 1080p.

The bookmarklet/Watch Later code does not look at the current player settings. It retrieves all data on its own based on the URL that it gets as input.

Answers

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,710Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    Accepted Answer

@ElJimador40 said:
    Is this a bug or is 4K simply not supported yet?

It's not a bug, it's not yet implemented in the URL Services code. For Vimeo I just added it. For YouTube it's currently not possible to add support for 720p+ videos due to 1080 and up all being in a format Plex cannot (yet?) handle.

On both sites I'm changing the video settings from Auto to 4K before clicking the Plex It! bookmarketlet but under Watch Later they still only show as 1080p.

The bookmarklet/Watch Later code does not look at the current player settings. It retrieves all data on its own based on the URL that it gets as input.

• ElJimador40ElJimador40 Posts: 135Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks! Appreciate the info and especially the good news about Vimeo 4K. I'll look forward to checking that out.

Hmm, maybe I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work. On my computer running PMS (latest version on the Plex Pass update channel) connected to a 4K TV through a 4K AVR, I go to Vimeo and watch a 4K video. Click the Plex It! bookmarklet to add it to Watch Later and there, through both the Plex Web app and PMP 2.1 the video still shows a max resolution of 1080p. Is there some hidden setting I'm missing to actually enable the 4K playback through Plex?

Okay thanks. I'll just be patient and check again after the next PMS update. Thanks for working on this btw.