Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Pro vs 16GB?

imran0imran0 Posts: 10Members ✭✭

I plan to use my Nvidia shield as a PMS and would like to know whether having a 16GB model (with a USB attached) would perform worse off than the 500GB model. If it would can you explain what those disadvantages are?

Sorry if this topic has already come up, new to the forum.

Best Answer

Answers

• stuart0001stuart0001 Posts: 20Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The Plex meta data can only be stored in internal memory. Get the pro, everyone that bought the 16gb for PMS ends up regretting it.

• richarddc79richarddc79 Posts: 185Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Elijah_Baley said:
    You will, probably, have a terrible experience if you try to use the little 16gb Shield as a server. It, probably, will kind of work but you will be VERY limited as to what you can do.

Plex cannot use any form of attached storage for its database so there in a good chance you will run out of storage trying to use the 16gb Shield as a server unless you have a VERY small library or you turn off virtually every feature that uses any storage.

On the other hand (you have different fingers) the 500gb Shield Pro makes a wonderful server. During initial setup the Shield sometimes slows down and does not work well but once it finishes getting metadata and other info it speeds right up and works even better than the PC server I have with a processor that has a Passmark of over 8000. On top of that the Shield uses hardware transcoding and that allows even better performance.

So my vote for a Shield for a server is 16gb NO and 500gb YES.

Just wondering how many Blu-ray rips will it transcode at the same time, also how many direct streams can it handle whilst using the shield itself for playback, I am planning on using a pro for my main tv with 3 new fire tv sticks in other rooms in the house, same ui across all these devices makes it a great wife acceptance factor.

HP Laptop core i5 (Plex Server hardware transcoding)
    Lenovo M58p Core 2 Duo Windows 10 (secondary Plex Server + NAS - 4TB Movies + TV shows)
    Xbox One S
    Fire TV stick gen 2
    Fire TV stick gen 1
    Chromecast gen 2 wired ethernet x 1
    Chromecast gen 1 x 2
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 7
    iPad Mini
    iPod touch
    Fire kids tablet

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,323Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@richarddc79 said:

@Elijah_Baley said:
    You will, probably, have a terrible experience if you try to use the little 16gb Shield as a server. It, probably, will kind of work but you will be VERY limited as to what you can do.

Plex cannot use any form of attached storage for its database so there in a good chance you will run out of storage trying to use the 16gb Shield as a server unless you have a VERY small library or you turn off virtually every feature that uses any storage.

On the other hand (you have different fingers) the 500gb Shield Pro makes a wonderful server. During initial setup the Shield sometimes slows down and does not work well but once it finishes getting metadata and other info it speeds right up and works even better than the PC server I have with a processor that has a Passmark of over 8000. On top of that the Shield uses hardware transcoding and that allows even better performance.

So my vote for a Shield for a server is 16gb NO and 500gb YES.

Just wondering how many Blu-ray rips will it transcode at the same time, also how many direct streams can it handle whilst using the shield itself for playback, I am planning on using a pro for my main tv with 3 new fire tv sticks in other rooms in the house, same ui across all these devices makes it a great wife acceptance factor.

It should direct play just about anything on the Shield so anything playing on the Shield should have little impact.

As far as transcoding Blu-Ray rips that would depend on exactly how they are ripped. If you rip to a format that direct plays on the target device then there will be no transcoding involved.

I have no large Blu-Ray rips in my library as I cannot see (old eyes) any improvement between Blu-Ray and just good 1080p DVD rips so I cannot help there. All I know for sure is that Plex runs VERY smoothly on my Shield.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

My blu-ray rips are all h264 mkv with ac3 as the first track and he audio tracks as second and third tracks, these rips vary in size as I haven't re-encoded them from the original disc, I have tried to play these on the latest app for fire tv stick 2 this week, however it doesn't seem to have the horse power to be able to play full rips so I am using hardware transcoding to bring these down to 20mbps on the fly, it's working great on my i5 laptop with the hw transcoding preview but this machine is a temporary solution.

Lenovo M58p Core 2 Duo Windows 10 (secondary Plex Server + NAS - 4TB Movies + TV shows)
    Xbox One S
    Fire TV stick gen 2
    Fire TV stick gen 1
    Chromecast gen 1 x 2
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 7
    iPad Mini
    iPod touch
    Fire kids tablet

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,237Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What EB said and
    Think about having your clients hardwired ( yes that means no Fire stick !) - one less issue when buffering starts!

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

edited September 11

@spikemixture said:
    What EB said and
    Think about having your clients hardwired ( yes that means no Fire stick !) - one less issue when buffering starts!

I have the original and the 2nd gen fire stick, and have found the 2nd gen to work well with my ac wireless, however I do have to set a maximum bitrate of 20mbps, I don't think the stick can handle more than that, and I have some rips as high as 40mbps.

Xbox One S
    Fire TV stick gen 2
    Fire TV stick gen 1
    Chromecast gen 1 x 2
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 7
    iPad Mini
    iPod touch
    Fire kids tablet

• audiomixeraudiomixer Posts: 131Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Running a 16 gig 2015 shield with no issues attached to a 16T capacity nas with 10T of media. I do have some of the meta data options disabled. Also added 128 gig of internal storage. So far all is well.

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,323Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@audiomixer said:
    Running a 16 gig 2015 shield with no issues attached to a 16T capacity nas with 10T of media. I do have some of the meta data options disabled. Also added 128 gig of internal storage. So far all is well.

Just be aware that Plex cannot and will not use that internal storage.

I no longer support Plex because of their moves away from customer responsiveness But I am continuing to use it until my move to Emby is complete. (A few weeks down the line)
    Emby is NOT better software but they are a better company at this point.

edited September 11

@audiomixer said:

Audiomixer - your Shield 16GB will crash.
    I had 128gb MicroSD Card and 128gb USB 3 Stick which do nothing (as pointed out above)
    I tried several amount of media and a calculated guess would be around that 10TB of data mark.
    I have all the things turn off as suggested many times.

It will CRASH !!
    And from my experience it's a reset/reboot situation so all is lost on the Shield !

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

@Elijah_Baley said:

@audiomixer said:

So I’ve noticed, but at least enough other stuff was moved to the storage as to give plex some breathing room and eliminate the warning of low storage.

@spikemixture said:

@audiomixer said:

I had 128gb MicroSD Card and 128gb USB 3 Stick which do nothing (as pointed out above)
    I tried several amount of media and a calculated guess would be around that 10TB of data mark.

It will CRASH !!
    And from my experience it's a reset/reboot situation so all is lost on the Shield !

Well so far so good though. Even have the homerun extend doing records and even that is working well.

• imran0imran0 Posts: 10Members ✭✭

Just wanted to provide an update, I got the 500GB model now :-)

However just for anyone else, the 500GB has one feature missing thats in the 16GB model. The 16GB model's remote has a built in IR sensor whereas the 500GB doesn't.

Also the 500GB uses a hybrid drive (disappointing considering its 100GBP premium).

@audiomixer said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@audiomixer said:

So I’ve noticed, but at least enough other stuff was moved to the storage as to give plex some breathing room and eliminate the warning of low storage.

@spikemixture said:

@audiomixer said:

It will CRASH !!

Well so far so good though. Even have the homerun extend doing records and even that is working well.

Yes but it WILL crash . You have been warned!

edited September 16

@spikemixture said:

@audiomixer said:

@Elijah_Baley said:

@audiomixer said:

@spikemixture said:

@audiomixer said:

It will CRASH !!

Yes but it WILL crash . You have been warned!

Been running for quite some time and no issues with plenty of ram left. Warning noted and thank you. I’ll let you know as soon as it crashes. Besides, I can always use my Mac mini as server too.

@audiomixer said:

Been running for quite some time and no issues with plenty of ram left. Warning noted and thank you. I’ll let you know as soon as it crashes. Besides, I can always use my Mac mini as server too.

I will add one caveat - if you do not add more media you may get by.
    But if you are adding additional media - I will be waiting for your acceptance speech :D