If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Only have 'indirect connection' to my plex server on my local network

Roscoe6262Roscoe6262 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi, I've only just installed Plex media server on my UnRaid box. It seems to be working fine. I downloaded the Plex media player embedded app, and I've installed that onto an Intel NUC. The client starts up ok and, after going through the account linking step, it's accessed the media server OK, but only with an 'indirect connection'. The server and the client are currently in the same room and connected through the same unmanaged switch (!!!???).

Is there some setting on the server app I need to change, or some setting elsewhere that needs to change? I cannot figure this out!

Best Answers

Answers

• Roscoe6262Roscoe6262 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for this. I had a quick look at your other post - it looks likely this might be the issue. However, I'm struggling to understand all of this so I need to move slowly. Also, my router (which was provided by my ISP) doesn't look like it has the capability to change any DNS settings. I've set the connection to 'not secured' just to get running, and that's working in the interim - however, I'd like to get the secure connection working if I can. I might need to think about this one a little more....

Thanks for your help.

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,396Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@Roscoe6262 said:
    Thanks for this. I had a quick look at your other post - it looks likely this might be the issue. However, I'm struggling to understand all of this so I need to move slowly. Also, my router (which was provided by my ISP) doesn't look like it has the capability to change any DNS settings. I've set the connection to 'not secured' just to get running, and that's working in the interim - however, I'd like to get the secure connection working if I can. I might need to think about this one a little more....

Thanks for your help.

well i have been living with it since day 1 as my router does not allow me to configure any whitelist for it

With Plex Media Server remote access configured and working then it ought not be using indirect connection but may use your public ip and public port

You can confirm this is happening by finding out what the plex.direct url and then doing an nslookup on it using default DNS and google dns and see if it fails on the default one

You can fnd the url in the connection info in the xml you get back from this browser request

https://plex.tv/pms/resources.xml?includeHttps=1&X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    You would need to find your server security token and include it in the request
    See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204059436-Finding-an-authentication-token-X-Plex-Token

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

I'm very sorry. I'm trying to understand what you've posted in your reply, but I'm really struggling! (I had to do a google search to find out what nslookup actually was!). I followed through as much as I could.

First, I did the nslookup command from my local PC - DNS was currently set to go to my router.
    As per the plex instructions for finding an authentication token, I logged into Plex media server, looked at the info for one of my movies, and looked at the xml to get the token. I then plugged the token into your command line above (the one in red) and put that into my browser, and took a copy of the page that came back.

Then, I changed the dns on my pc over to google dns, & rebooted.
    I reran nslookup and confirmed DNS was now using google dns.
    I logged back into my plex media server, again checked out the token for the same movie (it hadn't changed), and issued the command line above in red again in my browser. I got another 'xml' page back, but it didn't seem to look any different.

I think I'm missing something. I appreciate so much that you're taking the time to respond, but the procedure you've given is above my head so it's making it quite difficult. Can I ask you to lay it out for me a little simpler? I'm happy to do this in small steps, as long as you can be patient.

Again, thanks so much for your help so far!

• sa2000sa2000 Posts: 29,396Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

The xml you get back from https://plex.tv/pms/resources.xml?includeHttps=1&X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx will have the connection routes to your servers.

This is an example

<Connection protocol="https" address="192.168.1.152" port="32400" uri="https://192-168-1-152.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct:32400" local="1"/>

There would be one line with local="1" and if you have remote access enabled then one with local="0" which has the route using your public IP address

If remote access is not enabled or is not working then Plex Relay gets used and that would get flagged as being Indirect. To see any Plex Relay routes, you would need to change the resources.xml request to be in this form
    https://plex.tv/pms/resources.xml?includeHttps=1&includeRelay=1&X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The indirect plex relay routes would show in the xml with local="0" relay="1"

To establish if you have DNS Rebinding protection block in your router, you take the connection string for local="1"
    So in my example it is the following element within the uri string
    192-168-1-152.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct

In command line window you then do these tests

nslookup 192-168-1-152.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct

If you do not have DNS Rebinding Protection and no block on DNS lookup for this, then the command will return for this example 192.168.1.152 as the IP Address for the url
    If you have DNS Rebinding Protection then it will error and say not found

You can then repeat the test with google dns for your local plex.direct url eg for my example:

nslookup 192-168-1-152.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct  8.8.8.8

And this would normally succeed

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Thanks for this. I "think" I've been able to follow along with this.

FWIW, the second resources xml request is probably the better of the 2 because it contains both https and relay. In my case I got back four connections.

Connection A is 'local=1', and the IP address is the one I have allocated to the UnRAID box running the plex media server.
    Connection B is 'local=1', and has an IP address I don't recognise.
    Connection C is 'local=0', and has my public IP address
    Connection D is 'local=0', and 'relay=1' and uses an IP address I don't recognise

When doing NSLookups for each while using my router as the DNS, the results are as follows....

A) Can't find address for server WW.WW.WW.WW.plex.direct.......no information
    B) Can't find address for server XX.XX.XX.XX.plex.direct......no information
    C) Address YY.YY.YY.YY (DNS request timed out)
    D) Address ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ (DNS request timed out)

Then I switched over to the Google DNS and re-ran the NSLookups....

A) Address WW.WW.WW.WW (DNS request timed out)
    B) Address XX.XX.XX.XX (DNS request timed out)
    C) Address YY.YY.YY.YY (***No internal type for both IPv4 and IPv6 Address (A+AAAA) records available for nslookup)
    D) Address ZZ.ZZ.ZZ.ZZ (DNS request timed out)

Obviously I've obfuscated the real IP addresses.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the above. Does any of the above give you any further useful information in figuring out what's going on? Let me know whether there are any further tests I can do.

send me the exact commands and results by private message - as it is showing in your post this says DNS lookup is not working for all - so could be certificate issue. you can also save the xml into txt file and send me that as well

would be good to get a set of Plex Media Server logs after restarting the server - to see if there is any issue with the certificate for secure connections

See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files

edited September 25

Thanks for sending me the results of the tests. I am going to summarize (masking out your public IP info and full routes)

nslookup using your router default DNS

It is rejecting the local network ones - only allowing the public IP addresses. So yes this is DNS Rebinding protection in place in your router.
    Your https route on internal network to your local IPs

> nslookup 10-1-1-6.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    *** Can't find address for server 10-1-1-6.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct: No information

> nslookup 172-17-0-1.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    *** Can't find address for server 172-17-0-1.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct: No information

Your https route through your public IP

> nslookup 210-24x-xxx-xxx.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Server:  210-24x-xxx-xxx.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Address:  210.24x.xxx.xxx

Your https route through Plex Relay IP

> nslookup 184-105-148-105.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Server:  184-105-148-105.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Address:  184.105.148.105

nslookups using Google DNS 8.8.8.8

The address lookups return the right IP addresses ok for local and public

> nslookup 10-1-1-6.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Server:  10-1-1-6.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Address:  10.1.1.6

> nslookup 172-17-0-1.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Server:  172-17-0-1.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Address:  172.17.0.1

> nslookup 210-24x-xxx-xxx.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Server:  210-24x-xxx-xxx.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Address:  210.24x.xxx.xxx

> nslookup 184-105-148-104.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Server:  184-105-148-104.ffxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plex.direct
    Address:  184.105.148.104

What this means is that local clients trying to connect securely using https then they will not be able to using the local IP route because of the DNS Rebinding Protection and so will go through the routes that work. That would be your public remote IP url above or if remote access is not working then the indirect Plex Relay route. The default is to force secure connections for all requests. Client apps have an optional setting for allowing fallback to insecure connections.

You could try and see if configuring DNS in the router to use Google DNS overcomes the issue.
    Some routers do have configuring whitelists for DNS Rebinding Protection and one can add plex.direct. In my case I just live with the problem and make sure my Remote Access is always working - by adopting a manual port forward and manually specifying the public port rather than the unreliable uPnP automatic configuration

Noticed something strange in the server log and I am not sure what impact it has
    When listing network interfaces, the loopback was listed twice - don't know why that happens here

Sep 25, 2017 20:51:24.313 [0x2b0e073ef6c0] DEBUG - Network interfaces:
    Sep 25, 2017 20:51:24.313 [0x2b0e073ef6c0] DEBUG -  * 1 lo (127.0.0.1) (loopback: 1)
    Sep 25, 2017 20:51:24.313 [0x2b0e073ef6c0] DEBUG -  * 1 lo (127.0.0.1) (loopback: 1)
    Sep 25, 2017 20:51:24.313 [0x2b0e073ef6c0] DEBUG -  * 6 eth0 (10.1.1.6) (loopback: 0)
    Sep 25, 2017 20:51:24.313 [0x2b0e073ef6c0] DEBUG -  * 8 docker0 (172.17.0.1) (loopback: 0)
    Sep 25, 2017 20:51:24.313 [0x2b0e073ef6c0] DEBUG -  * 9 virbr0 (192.168.122.1) (loopback: 0)

See if you have any non standard settings
    what does ifconfig show?

As mentioned before, there is a section on DNS Rebinding Protection here
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/206225077-How-to-Use-Secure-Server-Connections

I did have "enable server support for IPv6" enabled. Would that have something to do with it?

I managed to find the area within the router to change DNS to Google DNS (which I've now done). Unfortunately it didn't solve the issue.
    I know you've done a lot so far, but could you possibly walk me through setting up the manual port-forwarding procedure you've used?

@Roscoe6262 said:
    I managed to find the area within the router to change DNS to Google DNS (which I've now done). Unfortunately it didn't solve the issue.

If the default dns with this change returns Can't find address for the local IP plex.direct url then it means it is still the same - and that is how it is on my router.

I followed up with my ISP. Disappointingly, although the functionality is present to change the DNS routing to Google, it's disabled - they confirmed it.

• First make the local IP Address of the server permanent (last time we checked it was 10.1.1.6
      So look at DHCP Settings in the router and DHCP Reservation and see how to add the server as a reserved permanent IP

• Then find the Port Forward section in the router settings. Port Formward and not Port Triggering.

On the router it is listed as 'Port Mapping' - hopefully that's OK.

Again, thanks so much for your support and guidance. I'm heading out of town for the next 4 days, but I will dive into this properly on my return.

• blazingkongblazingkong Posts: 1Members

For those who are still having problem connecting.. I tried all the above with no result.. The only thing that fixed it for me was running Windows 10 HomeGroup troubleshooter. You can access it through settings / troubleshoot / HomeGroup / Run The Troubleshooter. Hope this helps some of you.