If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

SERVER NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH

fsarlifsarli Posts: 3Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi guys, I need your help...

I have used plex pass for 2 years now without any issues. I have the PMS server on nvidia shield 16gb with an extra external drive for more space. Since the last PMS updates I am receiving the error "Server is not powerful enough..." I havent changed anything on my setup, and it happens when I play 1080p videos on PS4, fire stick, roku and even in the same shield where I have the server. My network is pretty fast 70mb and the setup and clients are wires so thats not the issue.

Help please?

Answers

• rouqrouq Posts: 289Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Do you have subtitle?

Would be great if you can open a file in mediainfo and post the information. So we can see all the codecs inside the file.

• fsarlifsarli Posts: 3Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes I have subtitles, but I also had them before when everything worked smoothly. Did plex changed any settings on subtitles? Can you guide on how to open a file in mediainfo. Thanks> @rouq said:

What type of subtitle? To my knowledge, they did not change anything about subtitle. It's just that, in the past, when I got this type of message, it was always caused by transcoding the subtitles. This is why I asked. Since it was working before, it's probably not the problem.

If you don't have mediainfo installed already, you can just start by giving us the xml info of the file from plex. Select your media, click on the 3 dots menu, select getinfo. Click on get xml.

Or if you want to use mediainfo, you can get it here:
    https://mediaarea.net/fr/MediaInfo

• fsarlifsarli Posts: 3Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for your help. The subtitle format is SRT and yes, its the same I always used, no changes there.

Requested info of one of the many mkv 1080p I cant play:

https://201-235-39-15.a8ae7f5580434d028a69380b3f263eba.plex.direct:15503/library/metadata/19627?checkFiles=1&includeExtras=1&X-Plex-Token=twcnkXbc8tM273jKhqRx

srt should not cause any trouble.

I checked your xml, I don't see anything that could explain the why the Shield chocks.

Just make sure that "Use hardware acceleration" check box is selected in the server settings transcoder. Otherwise, I don't know. Sorry that I can't help more.

• yooshawyooshaw Posts: 28Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Could it because you have the 16GB model? My understanding is you can run out of space quickly when transcoding causing problems playing. And it's only compounded as time goes by and your library increases in size.

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,332Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

As above. The 16gb version packs up and goes home when the library gets too big.
    How big is too big? Maybe 5tb of media. It varies.
    But 16gb version will crash.
    Are you adding media?
    If u want to check. Turn of thumbnails and trailers. Then just delete one of your folder from the Plex setup e.g. tv. It won't delete the actual media just Plex won't see it.
    Do the Plex dance and see if it is back to working.

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !