If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Remove the News icon from the home screen

Nigel GoodmanNigel Goodman Posts: 5Members ✭✭

News has recently been added to Plex on the Apple TV. Is there anyway to remove this icon - I've found nothing in the settings. I have my own news sources and I don't need someone else's opinion on what I should read.

Best Answer

Answers

• DarkTAODarkTAO Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

News is officially a problem for me. Watching a playlist, all of the sudden I get a news ad cut-in.

I didn't buy a lifetime pass to have ads injected.

• steerpike999steerpike999 Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@darcilicious said:
    This is coming soon...

So is Xmas. any chance we can turn it off before Xmas?

• x64Manx64Man Posts: 90Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yup, several app updates, across several platforms, several weeks later, and still unable to disable.

• HanterdroHanterdro Posts: 58Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It can not be so hard to add a fu..ing toggle in the settings de disable the news in the Apple TV App...

• camncharcamnchar Posts: 201Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Hanterdro said:
    It can not be so hard to add a fu..ing toggle in the settings de disable the news in the Apple TV App...

Right. Default it to “on” and then only allow Plex pass users to turn it off.

• TVPlexHDTVPlexHD Posts: 48Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

And still nothing right? News is broken. New is unwanted by every single post I've seen on the subject. Make it OPT-IN and let's get a method to get rid of it from the server (for all clients) AND on a per-client basis.

I thought I'd try it out, but it's worthless. None of the settings make any difference. Not country, not interests. It starts by playing videos of something I have no interest in and have deselected: video game news. And skipping the video only brings MORE video game news.

I'd say axe the entire feature but I'm sure that's not going to happen as it's likely a revenue source for Plex - this is why it's been added despite no one having requested it and no one wanting it now.

I'm myself a software developer... and I don't understand why it's so hard to add just a small option to disable the news button on the home screen.

if(option.hideNews) {
    newsIcon.display: none
    }

• T'hain Esh KelchT'hain Esh Kelch Posts: 422Members ✭✭✭

@Hanterdro said:
    I'm myself a software developer... and I don't understand why it's so hard to add just a small option to disable the news button on the home screen.

if(option.hideNews) {
    newsIcon.display: none
    }

$$$, that's why.

• mschlotzmschlotz Posts: 218Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@elan said this would be corrected but we are STILL WAITING!

• Markus & EddaMarkus & Edda Posts: 250Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Is it still displayed after disabeling at account-level basis?

@Markus & Edda said:
    Is it still displayed after disabeling at account-level basis?

oha... amazing... I was able to disable the news on the Apple TV app on my Plex server account settings under "Online Media Sources". When was this option announced?

News is finally gone on tvOS and iOS <3