If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Update or Roku Update, which is the culprit? Possibly fixed now.

MerliniumMerlinium Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So, for the last few weeks (3?) TV shows and Movies randomly stop playing and exiting, leaving no log info, nor bookmarks, meaning I have to FF and hunt where it left off (Last night while watching The Emoji Movie, when the smiley girl said "OK, Delete him", the show just stopped and ended, great comedic timing, but very annoying)

So I hopped onto the Internet, to search for a rhyme or reason to this issue, at first I thought maybe it was a plex update issue, but after reading up on some roku problems with the recent update to 7.7, I came across a post about a secret menu and that reinstalling the update has helped some, so I opened the secret menu, updated the software and then watched a TV show completely with no cut off issues, so maybe that has solved my problem. I am posting this, maybe it will help someone else.

Secret Menu on the Roku 3: Press HOME 5 times, FF 3 times, RW 2 times

PMS - Unraid 6.3.5 NAS (Intel I5-4590 Quad Core 3.30GHz, 32GB, 1Gb network, 33TB storage, headless) PMS docker Limetech version, +other software

PlexApp - On Android Phones, Roku 3, Roku 4, Roku Premiere+ and Vizio Smart 4K UHD TV

Tagged:

Comments

• DystaxiaDystaxia Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks! I'm going to try this as well. I too have been having this problem, and cannot find any pattern. Sometimes it happens on a movie, sometimes it happens on an TV episode. Really frustrating.

• MerliniumMerlinium Posts: 64Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Update: Well still crashing, have temporarily switched to plex classic until someone from dev can fix this issue, it's a bummer when 2 platforms update near the same time, it always breaks something.

The sad part is, the crashes leave nothing in the logs to try and narrow down the problem, my logs show everything working as normal.

My next attempt will be to roll back the roku update and see if that fixes it.

PMS - Unraid 6.3.5 NAS (Intel I5-4590 Quad Core 3.30GHz, 32GB, 1Gb network, 33TB storage, headless) PMS docker Limetech version, +other software

PlexApp - On Android Phones, Roku 3, Roku 4, Roku Premiere+ and Vizio Smart 4K UHD TV

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,835Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

Understand that over time, @ljunkie has had to release many updates to the Plex app for Roku just to deal with updates to the Roku Firmware that have caused issues. So even if the current issue is resolved in a later version of the Plex app for Roku, that does not necessarily mean that the cause of the issue is not the Roku firmware.

Also, if you are having issues and using the Roku 2xs, you should probably just use the Classic version or upgrade to a newer Roku. It is a very old model that does not have the power to handle the graphic interface of the new Plex app for Roku. That is why your Roku 2xs accesses the old Netflix interface, because it cannot handle the higher graphic interface of the newer versions of the Netflix app.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

Update for anyone interested.

Previous issue was resolved, but for the last few months I have been experiencing server lockup/crash/unresponsive. After looking at logs, which only contained 1 entry from 4 different unresponsive behaviors, where I pulled the logs and then erased all off of the server, it seemed the Transcoder was crashing the server, transcoder would error out with unable to delete....blah blah blah.
    This was getting worse by the day, near the end, it was doing it every 15 minutes. Nailed down the culprit to a failing roku 3, seems it would start playing a movie/tv show then would fail to read a segment, the transcoder would see it was sent, delete the segment, then the roku would ask for it again, but since it was no longer there and proceeding to the next segment it would cause a critical error and bam server became unresponsive. Gotta tell ya I was about to get all kinds of crazy, searching the forums and not seeing anything like my issue, then an offhand comment from my sister "Well I can play the videos just fine from my bedroom", got me thinking, maybe its the roku and not the network or server. After extensive testing found out it was the roku player causing the issues.

So for those having issues like unresponsive server with no logged causes, try taking a look at the devices that access your server/media files.

@shopgirl284 said:
    Understand that over time, @ljunkie has had to release many updates to the Plex app for Roku just to deal with updates to the Roku Firmware that have caused issues. So even if the current issue is resolved in a later version of the Plex app for Roku, that does not necessarily mean that the cause of the issue is not the Roku firmware.

Also, if you are having issues and using the Roku 2xs, you should probably just use the Classic version or upgrade to a newer Roku. It is a very old model that does not have the power to handle the graphic interface of the new Plex app for Roku. That is why your Roku 2xs accesses the old Netflix interface, because it cannot handle the higher graphic interface of the newer versions of the Netflix app.

LOL sorry about the late response, but I dont have any roku 2's. Man I need to update my signature.