If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Switched from physical to VM and now I have problems with metadata.

jeredgordnerjeredgordner Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I used to have my Plex hosted on a physical machine that was basically set up to primarily just host my media. Over the years I've ended up requesting a lot more of my machine and it just couldn't keep up. I went ahead and bought a new to me Dell PowerEdge R710 and loaded a Dell customized ESXi 6.0 U3 OS on it. From there I have two Windows 10 VMs installed (on a 256GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD formatted as NTFS) with one of them acting as my media server. Since its primary job will only be Plex/FTP server, it has almost the same specs as the physical computer it used to run on.

On my old device I had my local app data stored on a separate 160GB 2.5" HDD (formatted as NTFS). Since moving to this server I was able to re-provision a SanDisk 90GB SSD (formatted as NTFS) as my Plex app data storage device. I'm not sure if it's important to note or not, but both my media contents and the SanDisk SSD are connected to the R710 by way of a Marvell PCI-e 4 port SATA card. From what I can tell, there are no issues as I can just use VLC and watch any movie that's on the HDD connected to this device but I'm just trying to get all the information out in the open.

Anyway, on the old device I could just simply click the ... to the right of a library, hit Scan, and all the file information/posters/theme music would be ready to go. Now that I'm on here, it sees all the movies/TV shows, says it's getting the metadata, says it's matching the files...but only a very sparse few movies are showing a poster (very poor quality image) and none of them are pulling any of the file info.

I'm not sure why this just worked before but now it isn't. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Answers