If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problem with Display Mode Switching

loop75loop75 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited November 8 in Plex Media Player

I've recently started having problems with refresh-rate switching. I'm using PMP 1.3.11 (same problem with 1.3.10) on Windows 10.

My TV is set on 50 Hz, and PAL files run without issues. But, when I play a 24p or NTSC file, and refresh-rate switching kicks in, the screen turns black and nothing happens. The TV has switched to the correct mode, but PMP is no longer the active window - doesn't respond to remote or keyboard.
I have to ALT+TAB+Enter, to get back to PMP, and then the video starts playing correctly. When I stop the playback, the same thing happens again when PMP switches back to 50 Hz - black screen.

If I turn off Display Mode Switching, there are no problems. I'm not sure if this a PMP problem or a Windows problem. The refresh-rate switching worked fine a few weeks ago.

I've attached a log where I test 24p, PAL and NTSC files.

Answers

• vlangvlang Posts: 1,648Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

I can only say that we didn't change anything about mode switching recently.

• gwujkiwgwujkiw Posts: 5Members ✭✭
    edited November 9

same thing started happening to me it started directly after the windows 10 fall creators update was installed. By the way I am using an Intel i3-6100 with HD 530 graphics. Everything worked fine until right after the update.

This is a major bug and makes media player useless

After I press play and the display switches screen goes blank if control alt delete and go back then it starts working until I stop and try to return to the media player menus then the display switch occurs again and screen goes black until once I once again have to hit control alt delete and then return and it works again.

• loop75loop75 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gwujkiw said:
    same thing started happening to me it started directly after the windows 10 fall creators update was installed. By the way I am using an Intel i3-6100 with HD 530 graphics. Everything worked fine until right after the update.

I have Intel HD 540, latest drivers.

I tried to change my default frame-rate to 60 Hz - same problem.

• joerg.kirschnerjoerg.kirschner Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 9

Hi I am having the same issue after upgrading Windows 10 to 1709, when I start to playback a movie the screen stays black I only hear sound. Sometime ALT + TAB brings me to the video showing, sometimes CTR + ALT + DEL.

Plex 3.19.2 / Media Player 2.1.1

A workaround is changing to Native OPENGL support but then there is a lot of flickering before the playback starts it even shows the Windows Desktop or turn off fullscreen which is not pretty either.

Can anyone help?! Thanks!

P.S. OpenPHT and the Windows 10 App run without problems.

P.P.S When I user remote desktop from my home pc to access the machine where pmp is running it works fine even without Natve OpenGL Support activated.

• loop75loop75 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There's a similar problem for Kodi - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322761

It's most likely a problem with the Intel drivers. I've tried re-installing the latest, no luck. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.

its not a intel driver problem I reverted back to previous drivers and it was the same issue the issue is whatever they changed in the windows update

as stated in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=322761, post #4 turning of "Adjust display refresh rate" helps to get rid of the error, but then there is some stutter in some videos - so no great solution; any other ideas?

i checked the thing for open gl and works okay for me but I want it back the way it was so hopefully a fix on the way

For Kodi the Microsoft update KB4048955 seems to help for some.

In the change log there is the following passage

Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games.

For me it does not seem to work with PMP, anyone other experience?

• brunodbrunod Posts: 7Members ✭✭
    edited November 16

I am experiencing the same problem since the Fall Creators update. I am on a NUC 54250, with an intel i5 4250 and windows 10 x64, using PMP 1.3.11.729.

The display turns black and a intermittent/flashing mouse pointer appears when I try to play any video with "display mode switching" on. I have to try to alt+tab away from PMP a couple times until it goes back to another app/desktop.

@joerg.kirschner said:
    For Kodi the Microsoft update KB4048955 seems to help for some.

In the change log there is the following passage

Addressed issue that causes a black screen to appear when you switch between windowed and full-screen modes when playing some Microsoft DirectX games.

For me it does not seem to work with PMP, anyone other experience?

The installation of KB4048955 does not seem to make a difference.

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 476Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@gwujkiw said:

This update has been nothing but headaches for me so far. I could have lived without it.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

• ZoratZorat Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same thing happened to me. Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one. Is there anywhere we can sign up to be notified when this is fixed? The only way I was able to get this working was to download a Microsoft Windows 10 Version (1607) (Anniversary Update) install it and all the new drivers, and then go into services and disable Windows Update. It works perfectly again!

• mindfieldxmindfieldx Posts: 1Members

Same here, nuc6i5 with Windows10 , blacm screen on 24p, CTR + ALT + DEL to resume...frustrating

@mindfieldx said:
    Same here, nuc6i5 with Windows10 , blacm screen on 24p, CTR + ALT + DEL to resume...frustrating

Best thing to do now is download the prior version and then disable Windows Update service.

edited December 8

One thing that is easy to do and might help is to activate OPEN GL Support in PMP, it worked for me!

@joerg.kirschner said:
    One thing that is easy to do and might help is to activate OPEN GL Support in PMP, it worked for me!

Joerg, I tried that and it works ok, but not as well as the other way. It took more time between playing and stoping, and flipped and showed me the desktop etc. was just a bit off.

@Zorat said:
    Joerg, I tried that and it works ok, but not as well as the other way. It took more time between playing and stoping, and flipped and showed me the desktop etc. was just a bit off.

Yeah you are right I also have the switch to desktop and back but for me its okay and easier then to downgrade Windows - hope there will be a real fix soon!