If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

A couple of TV Show naming issues - Plex won't add these

In general my Plex setup is running great. But I recently tried to add two additional TV Shows and no matter what I do I cannot get Plex to recognize these two. Other TV Shows work fine. I looked at the log files and couldn't see anything I could recognize as the source of the issues. I've tried various forms of naming without any change in result.

The first show is "Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet" in a folder of that name. I have one episode of one series in my library and Plex refuses to show it. I tried to manually manipulate the name without success. I also used FileBot to set the name on the file "Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet - 5x04 - Bear Trapped.mkv" in a folder called "Season 5". Still no joy. Any suggestions as to what is wrong/how to get this to work?

The other show I'm having trouble with was a one-off. There is an entry in The TVDB for it but there are no episodes. So FileBot doesn't know how to name it and my attempts to name it manually have failed to be recognized by Plex. I searched and though I imagine the answer is in the forum already I could not find it. How do we get TV Shows like this to appear in Plex?

Plex server is running on a Synology box and is version 1.9.6.4429. Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• digitalfixerdigitalfixer Posts: 61Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 12

Your naming for Dr. Oakley is wrong.

Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet/
    Season 5/Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet - s05e04 - Bear Trapped.mkv

Read here https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220687-Naming-Series-Season-Based-TV-Shows

Kevin.

• tom80Htom80H Posts: 158Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 12

based on the support pages for media preparation, your file naming / folder organization should be like this:

(tv show folder)
    -- Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet (2014)
    -- -- Season 05
    -- -- -- Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet (2014) S05E04.mkv or
    -- -- -- Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet (2014) S05E04 - Bear Trapped.mkv or
    -- -- -- Dr. Oakley, Yukon Vet (2014).S05.E04.Bear Trapped.mkv (slightly off but that what worked best for me when using both Plex and Synology's Video Station)

Your show is in the TVDB... so it shouldn't be an issue on that side.

question... does Plex recognize the files when scanning for updates to your library or is this a mapping issue?

Edit: removed the gt, lt brackets around "tv show folder" which prevented that part from showing

• flowflow Posts: 420Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Please note the Legal notice for the usage of Google Analytics in my Channels.
  • tumbleweed512tumbleweed512 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Thanks for the quick responses, and yes I had read all the info on naming/media prep already.

I ran through the suggestions, especially Tom's, and still no joy (I had tried some of these before posting). Which led me to suspect the MKV file itself. So I replaced the actual episode file with a copy of a completely different TV show and renamed it appropriately. Voila Plex now saw the Dr. Oakley series.

Finding this odd, I deleted the bogus episode file and checked - yes Plex had removed the series (correct). Then I copied the 'never worked' actual episode file (no change in the name from before) into the exact same folder structure and Plex saw it. Before I had only moved the file or renamed it. This time I was copying the file in so it looked like a new file, possibly, and the scanner treated it differently? Anyway, now I know one more thing to try when it doesn't work as expected.

• tumbleweed512tumbleweed512 Posts: 6Members ✭✭

Thanks Otto. I believe my issue boiled down to not knowing the Plex Dance. Thanks for a very useful reply. I've saved it for future reference.