If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

QNAP TS-459 - Plex "Looking for servers..."

aclstrataclstrat Posts: 3Members ✭✭
edited November 13 in QNAP

SPECS:
Unit: TS-459
Firmware: 4.2.6 Build 20171026
LAN IP: 192.168.3.5 / 255.255.255.0

Plex Version: v1.9.6.4429 (Downloaded .qpkg from Plex, installed manually in AppCenter)

I have beat my head against the wall on this for several days. I have actually formatted the NAS 3 times, installed Plex App several times. The application installs fine, services are started, and I can access the page "http://192.168.3.5:32400/web/index.html" from my LAN and from the WAN as I have 32400 open. However, the media server is never discovered. I have:

• Toggled off/on other QNAP applications (DLNA, Music Station, Photos stations, iSCSI, etc)
  • After one factory reset, I installed the Plex app from the QNAP Store too, which is a very old version, it too has the same problems.
  • Just for kicks, I attempted to install the 64 bit version (supposedly only needed when on 4.3.x) It installs, but won't display the "http://192.168.3.5:32400/web/index.html" page.

Truthfully I'm out of ideas. 4.3.x Firmware isn't available for my device, and I would prefer to not try and downgrade this back to an older 4.2.x version if possible. Anyone have anything else that they recommend I look at? Happy to pull any logs, files, configs or whatever is needed. I have SSH access as well as WINSCP access to all directories.

Thank you in advance.

Moderator Edit: Removed preference attachment. Could potentially be used in a bad way ;)

Best Answers

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 17,770Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

The problem is because the processor is below the minimum needed to run PMS. The absolute minimum is 700. The functional minimum is about 900. Your NAS cpu is at 652.

<br />Intel Atom D510 @ 1.66GHz  + Compare    Average CPU Mark
    Socket: BGA559
    Clockspeed: 1.7 GHz
    No of Cores: 2 (2 logical cores per physical)
    Typical TDP: 13 W

Other names:  Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D510 @ 1.66GHz
    CPU First Seen on Charts:  Q1 2010
    CPUmark/$Price:  6.72     Overall Rank:  2098
    Last Price Change:  $97.16 USD (2017-04-27)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+D510+@+1.66GHz

You've unfortunately reached the point where you're better off using the NAS as a NAS and moving PMS to a more powerful computer.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• dane22dane22 Posts: 10,356Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

And adding to @moody_blue here....

Since you can't do that, due to not been able to logon, alter the preference.xml file for this, and then restart the PMS

Like:
    allowedNetworks="10.0.1.57/255.255.255.255"

And adding to @ChuckPA here

Your QNAP is indeed under-powered, so if using as a PMS server, then patience is your friend, as well as make sure, that your medias doesn't require a transcode

And for you...

You NEED the 32bit version, if on QTS4.2 !

I hate bugs - Tommy Lee Jones, MIB
    Join me in developing: epg-dk, str2utf-8, remidx, ExportTools, WebTools
    Support the Samsung Client:Donate
    Guides I use: Media Naming Guide, Local subtitles, Log-Files, QNAP FAQ, The Plex Dance

NO Support via PM, unless called by me

• aclstrataclstrat Posts: 3Members ✭✭

Hello all, thank you for such a number of thorough responses. I was able to resolve the issue. My NAS is connected to my hard wired LAN (192.168.3.0/24), all computers/TVs are connected via wifi (10.0.1.0/24). Traffic is permitted between the two no problem, however, the initial server setup MUST be done from the same setup. I hardwired my laptop (the 10.0.157 mentioned above) into the 192.168.3.x network and it 'found the server' on the first try. One configuring those inital questions about folders for Plex to watch and click OK, you can then disconnect from that subnet and hop back on wireless and the routing between the two works fine.

So long and short of it, is if you're setting it up for the very first time, you must be on the same subnet in order for that broadcast detection to properly occur. Once server is found and setup, you should be able to access it from anywhere else.

All is working beautifully now.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Posts: 17,770Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

@aclstrat

Broadcast packets do not cross subnet boundaries which will prevent discovery from working unless your routers expressly forward them.

If they do, why do you have routers instead of smart switches ?

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• aclstrataclstrat Posts: 3Members ✭✭

@ChuckPA yes, I understand broadcast doesn't natively traverse subnets. I just didn't know the initial discovery was done via broadcast, and thought it would be done via DNS or IP address. I've enabled the forwarding of broadcast traffic between subnets as it's a small segmented network with hardly any broadcast traffic. Previously, when I initially built my Plex server about 2 years ago, my network was all a single flat subnet which is why I never ran into this. Thanks for the help.