If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Cannot get movie file to sort properly.

ratmiceratmice Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So I have a handful of files (movie section) that will not sort properly no matter what I try. Here are the things i"ve tried:

1. simply adjusting info in the editing window (eg. title, sort title)
  2. Doing the PLEX dance with an affected item
  3. renaming the folder and the file itself and then doing the plex dance again
  4. moving the Local Media Assets agent to the bottom of the priority list (as directed in other threads). Only other agent is PLEX agent
  5. checking files for hidden metadata with appropriate SW (mkvtoolnix for MKV files)

after many permutations of the above actions here is a representative view of what I see:

The sort title for those pictured items is 'Zappa, Frank'. How do I get the circled item to sort correctly (alphabetically)? I've spent way too much time trying to get this fixed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

Answers

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 333Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

When looking at the grid view of the movies in question, click the little button that appears in the lower left corner to bring up the edit screen. There will be two title fields for each movie.
    The Title field is what will display below the movie
    The Sort Title field is what Plex will use to put it in order, but will not display. You can force things to be in whatever order you like this way.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

• ratmiceratmice Posts: 53Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 14

@AmazingRando24 said:
    When looking at the grid view of the movies in question, click the little button that appears in the lower left corner to bring up the edit screen. There will be two title fields for each movie.
    The Title field is what will display below the movie
    The Sort Title field is what Plex will use to put it in order, but will not display. You can force things to be in whatever order you like this way.

That's the first thing I tried (see No. 1 above) The problem is that everything else sorts correctly except for the few obstinate items. You can see that the titles go from 'You Can't...' to 'Zappa Restoration...' but then to 'A pioneer...' that is to say from Y, to Z and then back to A. The sort title is identical for all those items. Also close to 30 other titles sort correctly when set up the same way.

I guess the question becomes what does the sorting fall back to if the sort terms are the same?

Perhaps check your "space dash space" in not only this file, but the others as well to make sure they're all equal. You're right though... You've tried all the proper solutions, so it's likely something small.

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"

Unfortunately, I have been going through these with a fine tooth comb and doing a lot of copy/paste to ensure everything is the same (especially with the ones that won't behave). My brain hurts!

edited November 14

So I think I may have stumbled onto the answer -> there doesn't seem to be a fallback for sorting if the 'sort title' is the same on two different items. It seems to be appended to the end of the list of those items with those search items (LILO). Not a great system, but at least I found out what was keeping my library untidy.

Well that's interesting. Didn't know that. One would assume it would fall inline. Silly Plex.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Posts: 6,799Members ✭✭✭✭✭

Step one is to use the 'Personal Media Agent' - not The Movie Database or Plex Movie. None (that I found) are even listed at TMDB, so unless you add them to TMDB listings you're going to be in a constant battle with Plex - that you should avoid at all costs... because you can't win.
    When you use the Personal Media Agent, Plex will stop trying (and failing) to match with an online database.

Once you use the Personal Media Agent on all of your Frank Movies the Sort Title Field will be:
    Frank Zappa 01
    or
    Frank Zappa 1970 <--- or whatever year
    or
    Frank Zappa 'The Name of The Thing'
    or something like that.

You can't just use 'Frank Zappa'. You need something else after that to put them in order.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://mkvxstream.blogspot.com/2014/09/roku-plex-setup-guide.html ) Link May Work - May Not

edited November 14

So since these are in a movie library, won't changing the agents affect ALL movie libraries and prevent movies (in other movie libraries) listed in TMDB from getting metadata info?

edited November 14

So, don't see 'Fix Match', but 'Match...' gives me the option to choose Personal Media Agent for a particular item. I'm not sure I'm battling incorrect matches, as I suspect that the 'Fix Match' option would be available if PLEX had already tried to match an item. I think it is the fact that there is no fallback criteria for sorting, like title, to act as a 'tie-breaker' when items have the identical sort titles.

p.s. I realy appreciate you taking the time to give me some help on this issue, thanks.