If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Audio Passthrough on Nvidia Shield cracks when scrubbing forward/backward or pausing a movie

segheklseghekl Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Dear all,

I'm using an Nvidia Shield, connected to a NAD receiver that is connected to a Samsung LCD TV.

I do not use the Plex server on the Nvidia Shield, instead, all my media is located on a QNAP NAS featuring an Intel i7/16GB of ram. I do not have any performance issues.

I prefer to use the audio passthrough feature to pass audio from the Plex Server without any conversion to the Nvidia Shield Plex client. I understand that I can configure the Nvidia Shield Plex client in such a way that he converts and this is possible as well without any audio loss (https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/212072167-Audio-Configuration-Guide-Plex-Media-Player).

However, when I use the audio passthrough, the audio is perfect EXCEPT when I pause the movie, or fast forward or reverse. Most of the times I hear a crack in one of my loudspeakers (can be front or back or surround).

The issue is that the Nvidia Shield Plex Client does not have an audio sync playback delay setting like the KODI client has (https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/Recommended-passthrough-audio-settings-for-SPMC,-NVIDIA-Shield-TV-and-AV-Receivers).

When I configure KODI and use the KODI Plex addon, the issue is solved. I can fastforward, revers, pause, without any cracks in my speakers.

QUESTION: Is there an option that I've overlooked to make sure that the Nvidia Shield Plex Client uses an audio sync playback delay setting like KODI whenever the audio passthrough setting is chosen ?

Thanks a lot for making a great product and helping me out.

Comments

• JCDentonJCDenton Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, when I use the audio passthrough, the audio is perfect EXCEPT when I pause the movie, or fast forward or reverse. i have a nvidia shield 2017, samsung 4k tv and sony sound bar.
    If you have solution ?
    Thx

• aZOMBIEonCRACKaZOMBIEonCRACK Posts: 59Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@seghekl said:
    I do not use the Plex server on the Nvidia Shield, instead, all my media is located on a QNAP NAS featuring an Intel i7/16GB of ram.

Thanks for posting in the PMS for Shield section in the forum...you may want to check out the Android TV client section...happy hunting!

• c8wc8w Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue in my setup (shield tv 2017 with samsung KS8080).
    I would be interested in any solution as well.
    Thanks.

I hope too any solution ;)

Any help ? Thx

Can we have some help ? Thx

• nomisconomisco Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I can't offer any help, but can say that I did have the same issue. My case may have been a little different because I was using HDMI out of the Shield into an inline box which extracts the audio to an optical output, then passes the HDMI through to the TV. The optical output was then fed into some Logitech surround speakers.

The issue did not occur when using Kodi. Now I have a different system with the HDMI passed through a Marantz surround amp and don't have the problem.

Thx nomisco.

Can Plex Dev help us ?

Thx

Can Plex Dev help us ?

Thx

Can Plex Dev help us ?

Thx

Can Plex Dev help us ?

Thx

Can Plex Dev help us ?

• trent.curtistrent.curtis Posts: 40Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had the same issues you're experiencing. I upgraded my sound system and it hasn't returned since. I had a Sony HT-RT3 and upgraded to a Samsung HW-M550 with Rear Speakers add on and all has been great!

Plex Media Server - Nvidia Shield Pro 500GB
    Storage/NAS - WD MyCloud EX2 - Dual 8TB WD RED Drives in Raid 1
    LiveTV DVR / Captures - HDHomeRun Prime with Charter Spectrum Service / PlayOn for Netfix/Hulu/OnDemand Content Capturing
    Clients - Nvidia Shield 16GB / Amazon FireTV 4K / Samsung 2017 TV Plex Client

Ok thanks for your return,
    the bug for me is only with Plex, With kodi no bug, with vlc no bug, with other app no bug.
    The bug is in the Plex app.
    Can Plex dev think and find solution ?
    Thx

• segheklseghekl Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

After months of trying to sort out this problem and reading a lot on forums, I can present you the following findings:

1/ If you use the shield with a 4K compatible receiver and 4K television set using HDMI, your issue will be solved since it seems that the issue presents itself when using a shield with an HD receiver (so no 4K)and HD or 4K television connect with HDMI. So those of you who upgraded their receiver witnessed that the issue...disappeared.
    2/ A workaround can be, when using 4K and HD material, to dissociate the sound from the image, for instance, configure your receiver in such a way that it processes the image using HDMI and the sound using an optical SPDIF cable. Unfortunately, the shield does not have an SPDIF output but some other network players do, like the Zappiti range of players. When dissociating both sound and image, the issue disappears as well. However, there is another issue with the high level DTS formats to go over the SPDIF cable since they have to be downgraded to a normal DTS signal and this is handled by the Zappiti player as well (in the developers menu).
    3/ Bluray material will not transmit DTS signals over SPDIF (license)