Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

License for PMS

gsnerfgsnerf Members Posts: 43 ✭✭
Just a general question about the Servers license.
Hi there,

I'm currently in the mids of poking through the debian package for the pms in hope of creating a working ebuild so the pms can be installed in gentoo systems.
Doing this I stumbled uppon the fact that most linux package systems require declaration of the license the program is distributed under.
Unfortunately I can't seem to find under which license the media server is distributed neither in the wiki nor in the forums (maybe I'm just blind?).
The copyright file inside the debian package says something about it beeing GPLv3 which clearly isn't possible as that would mean that the source is freely available which as far as I known isn't the case.

So that finaly leads to the question(s): what license is the pms distributed under, and why is there no license file inside the debian package?

(just to be clear upfront: I don't wan't to start any kind of license war here. This is just an informational question but poeple seem to always get carried away by trying to solve the question which license would be the best at some point of discussion...)

Comments

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,326 Plex Employee
    Hey there!

Great question. The Plex Media Server is closed source, I'm not aware of any specific name for its closed-sourced-ness. If you're looking to redistribute it, you need our permission, but just repackaging an existing Linux package for another system is fine with me :)

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.

• gsnerfgsnerf Members Posts: 43 ✭✭
    elan wrote:

Hey there!

Great question. The Plex Media Server is closed source, I'm not aware of any specific name for its closed-sourced-ness. If you're looking to redistribute it, you need our permission, but just repackaging an existing Linux package for another system is fine with me :)

Oh I'm not redistributing it. The ebuild essentially lets gentoos packaging system download the deb files provided by you to the target machine. There it extracts the content and slightly adapts the scripts to work with the gentoo structure in /etc. Nothing fancy (and will be posted here once it works).

I'm not sure if this can be seen as a license file but I'll just copy the EULA thats shown when the PMS is started on OS X the first time into a separate file and provide it alongside with the ebuild. I guess that should serve all requirements quite nicely.
  • elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiMembers, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,326 Plex Employee
    gsnerf wrote:

I'm not sure if this can be seen as a license file but I'll just copy the EULA thats shown when the PMS is started on OS X the first time into a separate file and provide it alongside with the ebuild. I guess that should serve all requirements quite nicely.

Perfect, thank you :)

instagram: @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the brother's photography blog // the dog's twitter feed.