If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playing HEVC 4K Video crashes PMS - Apple TV 4K

kianrafieekianrafiee Posts: 131Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For an HEVC video I changed the audio to AC3 in Plex app on Apple TV 4K and now it atleast starts playing but errors out because transcoding crashes trying to transcode HEVC to H264. It seems it wont direct play/direct stream video of an mkv container of an HEVC file. Is there a way around this like by adding an mkv line to the tvOS file? Has anyone tried that? I really don't feel like re-encoding/remuxing my 4K videos.

Also, for 1080p h264 videos with AAC audio, plex is transcoding audio to EAC3 and therefore crashes transcoding as well because Im running on a pi 3. Shouldnt it direct play/stream the audio of AAC? Why would it decide to do transcoding when it doesnt have to? I have no idea how to get around this either. I should mention I never had this audio problem with my old apple tv 4th gen.

Right now I can't even use Plex for anything on my new Apple TV 4K :(

Answers

  • sharpie00sharpie00 Posts: 69Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    The most current release of PMS for PlexPass members seems to have fixed 4K Direct Play on Apple TV 4K in a sense. I can see it's direct playing, but the screen actually comes up black (no audio and no video). Still trying to figure out how to resolve that.

  • malcbomalcbo Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @sharpie00 said:
    The most current release of PMS for PlexPass members seems to have fixed 4K Direct Play on Apple TV 4K in a sense. I can see it's direct playing, but the screen actually comes up black (no audio and no video). Still trying to figure out how to resolve that.

    Same issue here.

  • sharpie00sharpie00 Posts: 69Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @malcbo said:

    @sharpie00 said:
    The most current release of PMS for PlexPass members seems to have fixed 4K Direct Play on Apple TV 4K in a sense. I can see it's direct playing, but the screen actually comes up black (no audio and no video). Still trying to figure out how to resolve that.

    Same issue here.

    Glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue. I started a thread outlining the steps I took to reproduce the error. I'm just hoping someone from the dev team sees and responds.

    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/304587/pms-1-11-0-4666-plex-atv-4k-v1-23-7860-black-screen#latest

  • kianrafieekianrafiee Posts: 131Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    When you say Direct Play of 4k works (ignoring the black video/audio) do you mean it also direct plays 4K mkv files?

  • sharpie00sharpie00 Posts: 69Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @kianrafiee said:
    When you say Direct Play of 4k works (ignoring the black video/audio) do you mean it also direct plays 4K mkv files?

    Yes, that's correct. My 4K MKVs which have been created using MakeMKV show both the audio and video Direct Playing / Direct Stream. I can never remember which one is which. But this only works if you select the AC3 5.1 Channel audio. If you select the TrueHD 7.1 audio channel, the Video will still show Direct Play/Stream while the audio shows transcoding.

  • kianrafieekianrafiee Posts: 131Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Since I am not a Plex Pass user, I cannot view that thread. Has there been any updates regarding your blank audio/video issue?

  • diesel1218diesel1218 Posts: 16Members ✭✭

    I do not have a plex pass so I am not on any of the beta releases but from what I understand the plex client on the Apple TV is not a true plex developed client. it is not capable of direct play 4K or mkv files it transcodes everything in the server.

    My bypass for this is using the infuse media player it connect right into the plex server and streams everything direct. They are also working on building a native plex client on their next release.

Sign In or Register to comment.