If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is there a "Genre Cleaner" type plugin for Plex?

Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,977Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

In Emby there is a plugin called "Genre Cleaner" that takes diverse genera tags and maps them, as the user chooses, to a smaller, more sensible, set.

As example it can take "Romance" and "animation" and "Family" and map them all to "Drama". BTW: I use "Drama" as a catchall for genera that I do not want to have separate. It also can map "Science Fiction" to "Sci-Fi" so that there is only one category for science fiction movies.

My question is: Does Plex have a similar plugin that hopefully is easy to use and simple to set up?

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
"Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

Tagged:

Comments

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 30,229Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited January 20

There is not, but I think it is a good idea.
    I have filed an enhancement request.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 4,977Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 20

@OttoKerner said:
    There is not, but I think it is a good idea.
    I have filed an enhancement request.

Yes, it is one of the things I miss most about Emby. It made using Emby and it would make using Plex MUCH more pleasant. When browsing my libraries it is nice to see only those genera that are meaningful for me.

I hope the "enhancement" happens in the not too distant future. But I will not hold my breath waiting.

One more thing: The Emby plugin actually modifies the labels in whatever support file contains such info. That means that the only change is at the server level so that the clients do not incur any additional overhead.

Thanks for the response!

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

• sander1sander1 Channel Developer/Admin Posts: 3,735Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

There's the Tidy Genres agent. By the looks of it this should still work, but I'll check it out ASAP and report back.