If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Poor picture quality during HW transcode.

Biga79Biga79 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited January 26 in Svenska

Hello

I have Qnap TS-251+ nas and plex server running on it.
I bouth plex pass to be able use HW transcode function.
It works well with low hw resources, but in case of low bitrate 1080p movie , the picture quality is very bad.
With sw transcode the picture qualiti is same like the original.
But with hw transcode , the picture is checkered, blocky.

Tagged:

Answers

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,486Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 27

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

There are a couple of drawbacks to Hardware-Accelerated Streaming:

The video quality may be lower, appearing more blurry or blocky. This is especially true and more noticeable when streaming at low quality levels below 720p. (Hardware-accelerated video encoders are faster, but lower quality than software encoders.)

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.0.5003
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • Biga79Biga79 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I understand this, but wery annoying.
    For example a 2.9 Mbps 1080p content, with plex, is provide worse quality than SD movie with DLNA.
    Is there any chanse to develop a switch into the transcoder settings , to use sw trancode when the bitrate lower than 5 Mbps?
    Or something like that? If this quality issue can't be corrected in the hw transcoder?

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,486Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Search the feature request forum area for anything mentioning hardware transcoding, and if nothing like your idea, suggest it.
    It's not a bad idea.
    I've seen other posts ask to allow advanced parameters for the transcoder too. I use handbrake, and it has a way to allow parameters that help QSV acceleration. Though QSV encodes for me with those settings are still not as good quality as software encoding, it's closer and still 2-3x as fast.

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.13.0.5003
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • Biga79Biga79 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can we await a picutre quality improvement during HW transcode? Because yesterday i saw the same blocky picture during 12 Mbps 1080p video. This is unacceptable . I paid for a feature what is unusable.