If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Adding atsc tuner to pms

tns1tns1 Posts: 12Members ✭✭

So I am looking to add a tuner to my PMS to record OTA, and I was looking at either the Hauppauge WinTV-duo USB or the quad card. What I don't see described anywhere is how I am supposed to control the tuner. The server & tuner are hidden in a closet. Once the tuner is installed, I'd expect that the plex client apps on my TV, phone, etc to show some tuner controls on screen to allow me to change channels, set recording schedules, etc. I do NOT expect to have the server sitting in front of me to do any of those things. Am I OK on this?

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 28,227Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Yes, that is how this works. Setup and scheduling is done in the web app, which runs on any computer in the network.
    Take note that DVR and Live related features are not yet supported in all clients.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • tns1tns1 Posts: 12Members ✭✭

Do any of the recommended tuners also include a pre-amp? I don't see it mentioned by either Hauppauge or SD. My concern is that with my current antenna (2-way split), some of my broadcast channels are already weak. Without an amp those signals may be too weak after a 4 or 8-way split.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 28,227Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Not that I know of.

The better way would be to get a different antenna with a higher gain.
    OR you buy a separate amplifier.

Got help? Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging