If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

4K HDR VIDEO BREAKING UP SINCE NEW PLEX ROKU CHANNEL INSTALLED

kfarr2009kfarr2009 Posts: 34Members ✭✭
edited February 9 in Roku

Another user has reported this also. I am using plex on my ROKU Ultra and since i updated to the latest ROKU plex channel last night most of my 4K HDR HEVC 10 BIT MKV videos break up. I know to play in HDR the video must be copied not transcoded. The problem seems worst when videos are being copied and audio is transcoded. My reciever decodes ac3 5.1 so when i select this track on a movie the video is ok for the most part, but when is switch to DTS or True HD audio and plex has to transcode the audio (while still copying the video) the picture badly breaks up every few seconds. Someone else has reported that their video breaks up even when not transcoding audio so maybe this doesnt make a difference. I have tried replacing my HDMI to another high speed cable and it is the same. There has not been a roku firmware update so this is definitely a problem with the new Plex channel since all these movies were playing fine until updating PLEX. I am also running the latest version of plex server. Can someone on the Plex team please fix this and in the meantime put the old plex channel back on ROKU until this is fixed, as there is not way to revert to the old version of the app manually and I can't play the majority of my 4K HDR movies. Here are some screenshots of the problem (note: this happens even when playback is not throttled and also happens at both 24hz and 60hz)

Answers

• mpg732@gmail.commpg732@gmail.com Posts: 6Members ✭✭

I two having same issue on my TCL ROKU TV

• toddkptoddkp Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here. I noticed this in the plex pass channel, before it made public. Using HLS, rather than the previous default MKV.

• jordanclark1993jordanclark1993 Posts: 5Members ✭✭

Same as well. Incredibly frustrating. Has to do with the audio needing to be transcoded. Not sure why that's messing up the video but it is. No idea when this will get fixed but I hope fast.

• twistedvincenttwistedvincent Posts: 124Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issues...

• bcassellbcassell Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same here issues here too

• BryJakesBryJakes Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same issue here. Only slight difference is that I have a Vizio soundbar connected by optical cord (no HDMI ARC connection available for this particular Vizio soundbar) to my TCL Roku TV. Try forcing Direct Play and still get pixelation at times with my 4K content. I hope this is an easy fix and not something that will require a new AV receiver to remedy.

• kfarr2009kfarr2009 Posts: 34Members ✭✭

all my 4k is pixelated and breaking up. its whatever they changed in this new app because the previous one was fine. haven't heard anything about them working on it, so wouldnt hold my breath about fixing the problem any time soon. it took them years to update the interface from the previous one so i dont think the roku app is a priority. i bought a roku ultra specifically for 4k hdr and it was working finne for the month i had it, so now it is useless until they decide to do something about it. all they need to do is release an update on roku to revert to the previous version so people can still use plex! at least some kind of a hint they are working on a fix would be nice.

• jzolezzijzolezzi Plex Dev Team Posts: 27Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

We wanted to let everyone know that we are indeed investigating these issues. Roku deprecated support for the previous video player requiring us to move to a newer player component.

@jzolezzi said:
    We wanted to let everyone know that we are indeed investigating these issues. Roku deprecated support for the previous video player requiring us to move to a newer player component.

appreciate the info! i'm glad to hear it's being looked at!

• BryJakesBryJakes Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jzolezzi said:

Thank you for looking into this. Keep up the good work.

• Dale LovingoodDale Lovingood Posts: 32Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jzolezzi said:

If it helps, I can confirm that transcoded audio is not required to reproduce the video artifacts on a TCL Roku TV. All of my 4K movies involve direct-streaming both video (4K 10-bit HEVC) and audio (AC-3) and every one of them exhibits the visual artifacts to a greater or lesser extent. None of them are watchable all the way through.

• r4b1dr4b1d Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@jzolezzi said:

I also wanted to confirm that the same is happening also on the Nvidia shield tv since a couple of weeks.

Once i lunch every 4K file, it take lots of time to load, it won't be displayed as HDR on my tv, and also won't let Atmos go through, modifying it to DD+, and sometime modifying also the video to 1080p. These exact same files, up to 2 weeks ago all played correctly in HDR + Atmos with no lag at all. :(

@Dale Lovingood said:

@jzolezzi said:

If it helps, I can confirm that transcoded audio is not required to reproduce the video artifacts on a TCL Roku TV. All of my 4K movies involve direct-streaming both video (4K 10-bit HEVC) and audio (AC-3) and every one of them exhibits the visual artifacts to a greater or lesser extent. None of them are watchable all the way through.

Yeah i can confirm this too on the roku ultra. they dont break up as much as movies where the audio has to be transcoded but there are definite artifacts on all videos

• hackztor@gmail.comhackztor@gmail.com Posts: 503Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 28

@jzolezzi said:

The problem is this should never of been released from beta to release. Most 4k material is in HEVC. Things do get reported during beta and then out of nowhere a release is deemed production ready and then people scream of bugs. That needs to stop. I believe I have seen this happen on 3 separate occasions now. Maybe some kind of release candidate stage where Plex pass users who are then willing to try it without having to stick with all the betas.

• DTraceDTrace Posts: 89Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Not sure if it is related to this issue but during certain transcoding the quality is 'washed' out. If you force direct play it plays with normal color.

• jeffmdjeffmd Posts: 102Members ✭✭

@hackztor@gmail.com said:

@jzolezzi said:

The problem is this should never of been released from beta to release. Most 4k material is in HEVC. Things do get reported during beta and then out of nowhere a release is deemed production ready and then people scream of bugs. That needs to stop. I believe I have seen this happen on 3 separate occasions now. Maybe some kind of release candidate stage where Plex pass users who are then willing to try it without having to stick with all the betas.

It does not help that plex hides their beta behind a paywall. Only the stupid would consider releasing software that needs a wide dispersal for testing to only a very tiny fraction of the available user base.

• ljunkieljunkie Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,943Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Hey all. We have identified the issue and implemented a fix in the lasted channel update. The update is available via our Plex Pass channel. We will be submitting this to Roku to get our official channel updated, but that will take some time as it has to go through the review certification process.

• r4b1dr4b1d Posts: 9Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited March 3

@ljunkie said:
    Hey all. We have identified the issue and implemented a fix in the lasted channel update. The update is available via our Plex Pass channel. We will be submitting this to Roku to get our official channel updated, but that will take some time as it has to go through the review certification process.

What about nvidia shield tv?
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/298262/why-plex-trancodes-atmos-to-dd-and-not-to-truehd
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/310462/nvidia-shield-tv-2017-uhd-via-plex-player
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/302735/playback-issues-with-dual-truehd-audio-mkvs-on-nvidia-shield-tv
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/307031/nvidia-shield-tv-truehd-pass-through-not-working
    same thing has been happening for us too. Will the update work also for it?

@ljunkie said:

There is also an issue when transcoding video and selecting a subtitle other than srt and burning into the video then video stutter would happen. Never happened in the previous version. Is this fixed also?

• shackrockshackrock Posts: 84Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Can confirm this is also happening on my Roku Premiere+ with LG OLED65B7A (4k HDR).

Additionally, the TV does not go into HDR mode when playing from a 4K HDR source, not sure if this is related... hopefully it's fixed in the roku update from plex.