If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku unusable

roycooperroycooper Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Attempting to use a Roku stick in bedroom. For all other channels it works great, but not Plex.

Too much buffering to be useable.

So we use Firefox and web into Plex. Zero buffering no matter the content or channel.

Comments

• DWLaurieDWLaurie Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Mine started doing the same thing with the last update. I have been using Roku's for the last 4 years with Plex and never a problem. Since the last update, none of them work for Recorded TV shows, although I can watch movies that I have ripped from DVD's. The DVD rips are .mkv's. The recorded TV shows are .ts's. This has not been an issue until recently. Not sure what the problem is yet.

• digiheddigihed Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited February 17

Edit: My problem is not the app. It seems I have a failing switch. I took the Roku and plugged it directly into the switch near my server, same issue. If I plug the Roku into the router, no problems at all. I replaced the switch and now it works great going through the new switch.

• Bartahome4927Bartahome4927 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@DWLaurie said:
    Mine started doing the same thing with the last update. I have been using Roku's for the last 4 years with Plex and never a problem. Since the last update, none of them work for Recorded TV shows, although I can watch movies that I have ripped from DVD's. The DVD rips are .mkv's. The recorded TV shows are .ts's. This has not been an issue until recently. Not sure what the problem is yet.

Check to see which recordings are h264 encoded vs mpeg2. Sounds like your issue may be with the transcoder. OTA broadcasts and .ts files are normally mpeg2 encoded(which require transcoding to play on Roku). Mkv on the other hand can be just about anything.