If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Roku player get stuck at 99% when trying to play

mcclure83mcclure83 Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

We have a roku TV that isn't able to play a recorded TV show. The show is recorded with plex but it is recorded using another server on my network. I am able to play the file on the web interface. I converted the file to MP4 and it played. The issue continues, is there anyone else with similar issues? The issue started on Thursday and there was a new version of the Player for roku on Wednesday.

Best Answer

Answers

• dnanassydnanassy Posts: 5Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I had the same issue on some HEVC videos
    Prior to the update the same files could be forced direct play, and would do so without issue.

• Bartahome4927Bartahome4927 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

There is a bug somewhere in how the new client is interacting with the transcoding process within Plex. OTA (Plex DVR) is recorded as mpeg2 unless you have a real-time transcode being done while recording. (SiliconDust has a HDHomeRun that does this for example)

The only known work around is to transcode the files into a format that has "native" support within your Roku device. Such as h264 level 4.1

Mpeg2 is not a supported format on Roku, so until the bug is fixed, Plex will be unable to transcode it in "real time" for you.

• mcclure83mcclure83 Posts: 99Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I found that it is a problem with the transcoding. I am able to force the client to direct play and it will work. I read that this was a known issue when they released the client as a stable release. A little disappointing that it will not play recordings that was recorded on the Plex DVR. I hope for a fix soon.

• Bartahome4927Bartahome4927 Posts: 10Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@AmazingRando24 said:
    Add me to the list of people with DVR files that won't play. I've found I only have this issue with files recorded from a certain channel for the most part. Roku TV as well.

Here are the file specs:
    Video: 480i—H264
    Audio: English—AC3 Stereo

Files of this type work fine:
    Video: 720p—H264
    Audio: English—AC3 Stereo

I have the HDHomeRun Extend, and PMS is running on Windows 10. Perhaps it's the interlace part?

So 480i is breaking even on h264? Try forcing direct play, Roku should be able to play it. I'd suspect Plex is transcoding it to deinterlace the feed.

• AmazingRando24AmazingRando24 Posts: 865Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Actually, the workaround for me was the opposite. I had to disable direct play to get it to work. I had disabled direct stream first, but that did nothing.

Odd... It's worked since the inception of DVR until this week.

PMS Server: Intel i7-6700 16gb RAM Dedicated Windows 10 PC
    DVR Lineup: Dual HDHomeRun Extend Tuners
    NAS: Drobo 5n2-15tb / Drobo B800fs 24tb

"It's amazing what replacing one faulty network cable will do for your Plex performance!"