Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Shield TV - Playback Stopping and Queuing Next Item

jacc1234jacc1234 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

Over the past few days I have had a serious issue with the Plex app on my Shield TV. (6.13.7.3458).

During playback of some TV shows it will stop after a period of time and acting like playback was complete. It exits to the post playback screen with a countdown to starting the next episode. The episode isn't marked watched and if I go back to it I am able to start from the point playback stopped.

This is only happening on the Shield Plex app. I am trying to collect more details but would like to know if others have seen something similar.

I was testing with "Always Sunny" today and the last two episodes I watched stopped at 14 minutes of the 22 minute episodes. They are direct play, I have audio pass through and refresh rate switching enabled.

Answers

• rwofficerwoffice Members, Plex Pass Posts: 268 Plex Pass
    edited February 18

You'll need to post logs in order for anybody to have any idea. Use the Android TV & Fire TV section:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201573117-android-android-tv-fire-tv-logs/

• dustin_ds3000dustin_ds3000 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5 Plex Pass

For plex on android make sure Automatically adjust quality is turned off. Thats been causing this issue.

• sixonessixones Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 411 Plex Employee

Could you grab some logs and we can investigate the issue you are experiencing!

• jacc1234jacc1234 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

Yes I am grabbing logs now.

No, I do not have auto adjust quality enabled.

Thanks for the help so far!

Attached is a network log from my shield. Playback stopped at 10:32 AM in the logs, it was around the 10 minute mark of the episode.

I updated to the latest version of the Plex Media Server but the issue is still occurring. I am attaching a new log from today right after PMS was updated. Please let me know if you want any logs from PMS itself.

Issue occurs around 02-20 21:11:35.629 in the log. This is occurring quite often so help is really appreciated.

• HTPC-14HTPC-14 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 73 Plex Pass

I've been getting this too on my FireStick with the 6.13 release. Hopefully it's fixed soon as it's quite annoying

• ASY4FEASY4FE Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

I have been getting this too... Will try the 'auto adjust quality disable'-thing.

I don't use auto adjust quality and still have this issue.

I want to confirm this is still an issue in version 6.14.1.3753

Please let me know if you need more logs. I would appreciate some feedback here as it seems there are multiple users with this or similar issues. I know of two personally.

• HitsVilleHitsVille Members, Plex Pass Posts: 935 Plex Pass

@sixones
    Do you need more logs other than those supplied?
    I hadn't encountered the issue at the time this thread was started, however over the last couple of days its pretty constant and forced me back to PMP for the time being.

HitsVille

• sixonessixones Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 411 Plex Employee
    edited March 3

Still investigating the issue, it appears to be random which is making it hard to track down.

Any extra logs would be great as they might help to spot the issue.

Attached is a log from today when this happened during playback of a movie.

Playback stops at: 16:57:53

Let me know what else could help.

Here is another log where it happened again after a few minutes of a movie.

This is still an issued with 6.15 and PMS 1.12.0.4829.

• SootRocksSootRocks Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

I can confirm that I have this issue too - and it does seem to be random, but quite persistent for about 1 month now.

• Using a Nvidia Shield TV (the "old" 500 GB version)
    • Adjust quality automatically is disabled
    • Happens with both local and remote stored content
    • Running latest available SW on both Shield and server.
    • Never prompted any error messages of any kind.
  • ballfamballfam Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

Seeing exactly the same problem. Posted this in another thread (without realizing this one was open):

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1634526#Comment_1634526

I note 2 problems that are specific to the Android TV client:

1) Playback just stops as though the video is done. This usually happens right at the start, but sometimes also in the middle
    2) Playback can sometime freeze for a split second as though the streaming can't keep up, yet the box stream as 50+ Mbps, way over what I need.

I also have Rokus connected to exactly the same TVs using exactly the same routers, going to exactly the same Plex server, and the Roku works flawlessly on the identical video.

I'm using both Nexus Players and Mi boxes, both more powerful than my Roku sticks, same issue with both. As others have noted, problem seems to be completely random, but I have noticed that it only seems to happen with Direct Play or Direct Stream; as soon as some conversion is needed (e.g. just with the audio track), everything seems to run smoothly.

Is there any way to force audio conversion for every video to a specific client? This may be a work-around.

• WarmongerxWarmongerx Validating, Plex Pass Posts: 201 Plex Pass
    edited March 17

.> @SootRocks said:

I can confirm that I have this issue too - and it does seem to be random, but quite persistent for about 1 month now.

• Using a Nvidia Shield TV (the "old" 500 GB version)
    • Adjust quality automatically is disabled
    • Happens with both local and remote stored content
    • Running latest available SW on both Shield and server.
    • Never prompted any error messages of any kind.

I'll add my name to the list of affected users Nvidia Shield users. I have the 2017 version though and it is random. I do not have auto adjust one and I have my player set to adjust refresh rate to match, so the TV switches to 24hz mode, content plays for 1 second, then switches back to normal mode and queues up the next episode in line. It's annoying for sure.

If your quick on the remote and switch back to the content you just tried to play, it will also give you that message about losing connection with the PMS but will play anyway.

I'm completely hardwired on Gig ethernet and Shield set to play original content from my server.

i7-980, 12GB RAM, Windows 7 x 64, 44TB Plex Media Server in Coolermaster HAF 945 Stacker
    Nvidia Shield
    Denon X6200W Receiver
    Sony 75" XBR75X940D TV
    7.2 Definitive Technology and SVS Subwoofers

• KthwaitsKthwaits Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I've also been experiencing this issue for several months now. 2017 Shield connected via ethernet with gigabit connection.

• mjewlmjewl Members, Plex Pass Posts: 102 Plex Pass
    edited April 1

this is also happening for me, thought not on an nvidia shield (that one i have put in storage since there is audio out-of-sync issues on the shield that hasnt been resolved yet by the plex team).

For me its happening on the plex app on android tv (philips). and its always in the beginning.
    When i start a show/film and immediatly, like a couple of seconds after i press play, it stops and queue next item. When i start the show/film again it plays without any problem.

i've never used the automatic quality function. And i always run with ethernet.