Our forum migration to Discourse is underway and scheduled to last through June 21. During the migration, the forums will be read-only, except for a single temporary forum (contents of which will not be getting transferred). Read our announcement post for more information about the forum migration.
Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Getting PLEX to run directly from Synology NAS

RWH-BuxRWH-Bux Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

I have PLEX installed on 2 different computers (an iMac and a MacBookAir) with media library on Synology DS-418play, and all works well (streaming to AppleTV, to all iOS devices, to LG Smart TV app) as long as my NAS is mounted on whichever computer I'm serving the files from.

My problem comes when I install and launch PLEX from the DS-418play itself, and try to open it by selecting <http://my-NAS address:32400/web> ---- I always get "Safari can't open the page <my-NAS-address:32400/web> because Safari can't connect to the server "

I have manually installed the latest version of PLEX to my DS-418play, which is version 1.12.0 --- since Synology is a bit late in updating its package center with the latest PLEX offering. But even when I open this updated version of PLEX directly on my DS-418play, I get the same error message that Safari can't connect to the server .

So I'm just STUCK at this point.

(I can serve media files from my computer, grabbing source files from my Synology NAS, but I can't get the PLEX package to run from the Synology NAS itself.)

Where to go from here?

Best Answer

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 22,850 Plex Team Member
    Accepted Answer

@rcom@housley.info said:
    [1] I have not been able to download the 1.11.0 version of Plex. I detect only the 1.12.0 version of Plex on the download page --- regardless of whether the Plex Pass control is turned to "on" or "off." I must be missing something obvious if there is a 1.11.0 version right there.

[2] I deleted the Plex "User" and the Plex "Shared Folder" ---- then created new ones; and gave R/W permissions.

[3] Then, I Uninstalled Plex again from the Synology NAS package center. Then I Installed Plex again, but this time, the 1.10.0 version of Plex was installed , apparently the default version supplied by Synology.
    (I did not do a manual install this time, because I was able to download only the Plex 1.12.0 version; and 1.12.0 was thought to be problematic) The version now installed on my Synology NAS is 1.10.0 4523-648bc61d4, not the 1.11.0 which I was unable to download from Plex.

[4] Now, however, when I select "Run," the package DOES NOT run. Dialogue box appears: "Failed to run the package service" but with no explanation.

Also, there is no URL listing in the box beneath the Plex "Action" button (the button from which one can choose either "Run" or "Uninstall")

[5] so, I was unable to go further, including unable to follow the remainder of your suggestions.

So, I appear to be stuck, but this time at a completely different place on the road.

Also ---- I am unclear about the navigation directions within File Station. I can download logs from the Support Center, where I see that I can get "system logs" and/or "procedure logs" (which produce *.dat files, but with no zip option) ---- but I'm unclear about how to navigate a path within File Station

The share and user are created when the package is installed. There are multiple things to do.

1. Delete the Plex user and share again
    2. Remove the app
    3. Restart
    4. Manual Install the PMS SPK you downloaded from plex.tv not from Synology
    5. The installer script will put everything how it should be.

You do have the option, IF you have multiple volumes, to select where you want PMS installed. I thought this would help everyone who needs to manage their space

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ | Linux Tips

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

Hosts: Fedora, QNAP, Synology, most Linux distros in VM

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,063 Plex Ninja

Have you tried using FireFox to open Plex with?

Are you sure Plex is running on the NAS?

You can check by going to Package Center > Installed > Plex and reading the status there.

Safari has some security options which need to be corrected by the sound of things. Unfortunately, I am not a Mac user, so I cannot advise you on which settings to check.

You may also need to check the app and network permissions in OS X.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks
  • RWH-BuxRWH-Bux Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass
    edited March 6

Thanks trumpy81 for responding
    Yes, Plex is "running" on the NAS. I have checked settings on plug-ins and extensions for Safari. I opened DSM with Firefox and the result was the same: could not find server. I'm not seeing any firewall gauntlets that might interfere with Plex.

I'm assuming that there's no support directly from PLEX, right?!

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 22,850 Plex Team Member
    edited March 6

@rcom@housley.info said:
    I'm assuming that there's no support directly from PLEX, right?!

If I may be of assistance here?

1. The DS418play specs are: DS418play Intel Celeron J3355 Dual Core 2 Yes Apollolake DDR3L SO-DIMM 2GB
    2. Yes it is supported.
    3. It also supports Hardware Transcoding.
    4. You reference Plex 1.12.0 which is beta

I suggest:

1. Download the 64 bit version of 1.11.3 from Plex.tv/downloads
    2. Uninstall the Plex package in Package Center
    3. If you have NO Plex installation (which you've initialized with media) continue with the next step else skip to step 6
    4. Control Panel - Users - Delete the plex user
    5. Control Panel - Shared Folders - Delete the Plex share
    6. Return to Package Center and manually install the SPK for 1.11.3
    7. Open the IP of your Synology directly http://ip.addr.of.syno:32400/web. It must be on the same subnet as your computer. Advise if anything is over wifi. This can cause problems due to 'wifi isolation'
    8. Sign in
    9. Click the "Got it"
    10. The wizard starts normal setup

If it fails at any point please do the following:

1. Control Panel - Shared Folders - Edit the Plex share
    2. Give your Syno username permission to R/W the share
    3. Open FileStation
    4. Navigate to Plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
    5. Right Click Logs and Compress to Logs.zip
    6. Please attach the ZIP file it gives you here with your next post

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,063 Plex Ninja

To find the public version of Plex 1.11.3, go to https://plex.tv/downloads and above the download area you should see a Plex Pass/Public switch. Click on that to turn off Plex Pass downloads. Then you will be able to download the Public version of the installer package.

Regards,
    Andy M.

My Equipment: Synology DS1813+ | Panasonic TH-L42ET60A & TH-55DX600U | Windows 10 Professional 64Bit PC's | Raspberry Pi 2's & Odroid C2 with OpenPHT

Device Profiles | File Naming in Plex | NAS - Plex Compatibility Guide | What CPU does my NAS have | Synology FAQ's page | Tips & Tricks

[1] I have not been able to download the 1.11.0 version of Plex. I detect only the 1.12.0 version of Plex on the download page --- regardless of whether the Plex Pass control is turned to "on" or "off." I must be missing something obvious if there is a 1.11.0 version right there.

[2] I deleted the Plex "User" and the Plex "Shared Folder" ---- then created new ones; and gave R/W permissions.

[3] Then, I Uninstalled Plex again from the Synology NAS package center. Then I Installed Plex again, but this time, the 1.10.0 version of Plex was installed , apparently the default version supplied by Synology.
    (I did not do a manual install this time, because I was able to download only the Plex 1.12.0 version; and 1.12.0 was thought to be problematic) The version now installed on my Synology NAS is 1.10.0 4523-648bc61d4, not the 1.11.0 which I was unable to download from Plex.

[4] Now, however, when I select "Run," the package DOES NOT run. Dialogue box appears: "Failed to run the package service" but with no explanation.

Also, there is no URL listing in the box beneath the Plex "Action" button (the button from which one can choose either "Run" or "Uninstall")

[5] so, I was unable to go further, including unable to follow the remainder of your suggestions.

So, I appear to be stuck, but this time at a completely different place on the road.

Also ---- I am unclear about the navigation directions within File Station. I can download logs from the Support Center, where I see that I can get "system logs" and/or "procedure logs" (which produce *.dat files, but with no zip option) ---- but I'm unclear about how to navigate a path within File Station

• mickeldaelmansmickeldaelmans Members, Plex Pass Posts: 351 Plex Pass

just a quick chip in, 1.12.0.4829 is the current main version and should be fine to install. It has been pushed to public since Chuck and Trumpy's last posts in this thread.

My Plex setup: Synology DS916+ (8GB), RPI3 + Plex for Kodi, Oneplus 3 (Android 7), Chromecast 1st gen & 2nd gen, Samsung UE43KU6500

Accepted Answer

@rcom@housley.info said:

The share and user are created when the package is installed. There are multiple things to do.

1. Delete the Plex user and share again
    2. Remove the app
    3. Restart
    4. Manual Install the PMS SPK you downloaded from plex.tv not from Synology
    5. The installer script will put everything how it should be.

You do have the option, IF you have multiple volumes, to select where you want PMS installed. I thought this would help everyone who needs to manage their space

Useful links

Great! Thank you ChuckPA! That was the exact sequence of steps that was needed. I appear to be "up and running" over here. Thanks a million.....