If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Ubuntu w/ Gnome Shell - No menus anywhere

Jason GregoryJason Gregory Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Noticed with 1.0.2 and 1.0.4 that when running the app on Ubuntu with Gnome Shell (17.10 and 18.04) that nothing displays in the status area nor do I get any type of menu when right clicking on the icon in the taskbar, just "Plexamp", "New Window", "Favourites" and "Quit".

Answers

• elanelan CTO and Co-founder MauiPosts: 6,979Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

This might help? There should be an icon on the top right.

instagram @elan // the wife's photography site.
    the Medium page // the dog's twitter feed.

• BokehdBokehd Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Have just installed Ubuntu 18.10 and plenty of apps do appear in the notification area, just not plexamp. No menu available for plexamp at all. Any ideas?

• TheMooDudeTheMooDude Posts: 221Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Bokehd said:
    Have just installed Ubuntu 18.10 and plenty of apps do appear in the notification area, just not plexamp. No menu available for plexamp at all. Any ideas?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/

i5-2500K | 20GB DDR3 | 4x3TB WD Red RAID1 | Windows Server 2012 R2 | Plex Media Server
    i7-6700 | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 980TI | Windows 10 Pro | Plex Media Player | PlexAmp
    Samsung UE40K5500 | Plex SmartTV App
    Raspberry Pi 3-B | Plex Media Player Embedded
    LG V30 | Android 8.0 | Plex for Android

With topicons-plus I get both Chrome and and a tiny wee plexamp icon, but the plexamp icon has no menu attached with it (Chrome does show a menu with entries like task manager, etc).

• TheMooDudeTheMooDude Posts: 221Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Strange. I've got an install of 18.04, with Gnome Shell 3.28.1, using Topicons plus, and it's absolutely fine.

i5-2500K | 20GB DDR3 | 4x3TB WD Red RAID1 | Windows Server 2012 R2 | Plex Media Server
    i7-6700 | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 980TI | Windows 10 Pro | Plex Media Player | PlexAmp
    Samsung UE40K5500 | Plex SmartTV App
    Raspberry Pi 3-B | Plex Media Player Embedded
    LG V30 | Android 8.0 | Plex for Android

I came back to it today and now, while I still have my silly small icon, I now have a menu. Not sure what changed to allow that.

As for the icon I'm going to chalk that up to scaling in Ubuntu still not being great.

Cheers