Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

myplex was unable to connect to my server

Hey guys my media server works nice just myplex is not working yet I'm trying to setup so I can watch on my iPhone on 3G, I can mp the ports to 32400 but it gave that msg after map the ports
" myplex was uable to connect to my server"
anyone?

Comments

• Justin_ReevesJustin_Reeves Posts: 7Members ✭✭
    Mine is doing the same thing. any help would be much appreciated
  • weishengweisheng Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Same for me. I am able to map to 32400 but myPlex is not connecting.
  • iGarthiGarth Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass
    weisheng wrote:

Same for me. I am able to map to 32400 but myPlex is not connecting.

ditto
  • bgeverittbgeveritt Posts: 7Members
    I am also receiving the error: "myplex was uable to connect to my server"
  • skaamu1skaamu1 Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    For myPlex, you need to forward 16410 instead of 38400 - or which port ever the Media Manager decided to take for myPlex. Automatic port forwarding doesn't work quite well, same problem here. So best would be to specify the port manually (e.g. 38400) and forward that port permanently.
  • sbradley7777sbradley7777 Posts: 75Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Same here. Not sure if previous post has typos in it with port numbers. I have port mapped and tried disabling the firewall and still get same message.

$ lsof -i -P | grep -i "listen"
    Plex\x20M 22730 me 20u IPv4 0xffffff8016a644e0 0t0 TCP *:32400 (LISTEN)

Everything looks correct. myPlex still does not find server which is expected since pref pane says it cannot connect.
  • digitalbananadigitalbanana Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Same issue here. Looking in the logs, my plex media server is recieving the following response from the myPlex server:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <errors>
    <error>Address could not be reached on port 32400</error>
    </errors>

32400 is open, and I can telnet and /manage the instance. Any fix for this yet?
  • i'm struggling with the same issue ... port seems to map ok but cannot connect to the server
  • skaamu1skaamu1 Posts: 14Members ✭✭
    Ah, you are talking about myPLEX access from the web browser? If that is the case and it's remote access, the problem may result from the computer you're using or the internet provider utilized.
  • iGarthiGarth Posts: 17Members, Plex Pass
    skaamu1 wrote:

Ah, you are talking about myPLEX access from the web browser? If that is the case and it's remote access, the problem may result from the computer you're using or the internet provider utilized.

No the issue I'm having is getting myPlex to connect to my Media Server - to publish the server to myPlex. I was previously able to remotely connect to my Plex server (pre v0.9.5 update) with a simple port forward (32400) on my router to my Mac Mini.

In Server Preferences I have the following settings:

- "Publish server to myPlex" ticked
    - "Manually specify port" - ticked and set to 32400

I get the following results:
    (a) Green light saying "Server is mapped to port 32400 (my static IP)"
    (B) Red light saying "myPlex was unable to connect to your server"

If I un-tick "Manually specify port", I get the same results as above (I've also tried forwarding port 14506 on my router, but no success).
  • j.henson458j.henson458 Posts: 1Members
    I was having the same issue. I did a complete wipe of plex and the media server, then started with a clean install and that seems to have fixed it for me.
  • xoofooxoofoo Posts: 4Members
    Hello!

Same problem more or less...
    I set the port forwarding on the router (32400), checked the box "manually specify port 32400".

It says "Server is mapped to port 32400 ()"
    and "myPlex appears to be offline"

Any idea?

Thanks!
  • pewtertankardpewtertankard Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I was having the same issue. I did a complete wipe of plex and the media server, then started with a clean install and that seems to have fixed it for me.

Hmmmm... that's a big clue that this problem (which I'm also having, by the way) is caused by something left behind by the previous version of Plex Media Server.

I used to have my media server setup with the PIN to secure incoming external traffic and I didn't turn this off before upgrading. Could this have caused the problem. Does anyone know in which configuration file this would have been set and can I therefore check it and, as a thing to try, zap it?

Grateful for any help at this point. Plex Media Server seems to call out OK to myPlex as the site is updated with the external address and port. I've checked my router and the forwarding has been set up OK. However, myPlex marks my PMS instance as "Unavailable" and attempts to call the HTML version of the Media Manager via the external URL from myPlex just leaves me hanging... the site just sits there trying to load and then times out.
  • whoshoo01whoshoo01 Posts: 8Members
    I have been having the same issues. Plex media server will map to the port okay, but then gives me the prompt "myPlex was unable to connect to your server". It still does this even if, like all of you others, manually select port 32400.

I had incorrectly tried to secure a connection of my media to my parents following the plex wiki app and ssh tutorials elsewhere a few months back. I gave up after realizing I did it on my end (the computer running the media server and the computer that has all the files) and had to do it on my parents end. I am pretty sure I undid everything that I did do, however, I wonder if Pewter is on to something and it has to do with a previous version of plex media server.

Currently whenever my computer turns on, it loads the previous version of plex media server. I have to manually exit this and load the new version to which I get the same prompt everyone else here is getting.

I'd hate to think the solution is an uninstall and reinstall. I've had to do that once before and reconfiguring my entire library would be a huge pain (not to mention manually editing metadata for things not correctly matched...)

Hopefully, someone is having luck or can help some of us poor folks out :)
  • GianoGiano Posts: 2Members
    edited November 2011
    Had same error on OSX.
    Resolved removing manually the old instance of plex media server in Library/Application Support/Plex and the helper too.
    It seems that some instances of the old versions remains and uses the same config files and/or ports.
    Just removed the app, restarted and putted the new media server in startup items.

Now it works nicely.

Hope it helps.
  • Eddy555Eddy555 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    This is the first time I've installed Plex on my Mac and it's not worked for me.
    I've tried rebooting it with Plex set to run at startup and still no progress.
    Next I'll try removing it completely and then installing it again.
  • Eddy555Eddy555 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass ✭✭
    I've uninstalled, restarted the machine, resintalled then restarted the machine with Plex set to start at login and still get the same issue with myPlex :-S
  • dpeeler@gmail.comdpeeler@gmail.com Posts: 41Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Eddy555 wrote:

I've uninstalled, restarted the machine, resintalled then restarted the machine with Plex set to start at login and still get the same issue with myPlex :-S

Same problem here. I've completely removed the old versions of Plex and PMS and re-installed the 9.5 and still the same problem I can't connect from my IOS device to my Plex Media Server. It worked fine before with 9.4.
  • JasonMeudtJasonMeudt Posts: 116Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    If you are having issues with myPlex connecting to your account, I would check to see if you are blocking access to Amazon's EC2 IP's.

It appears that plex is using their services to host the myPlex site. The netrange is: 50.16.0.0 - 50.19.255.255.

In short, check your hosts and/or your permallow lists (peerblock etc...) and add this host range. As of right now, the host range appears to be limited to 50.18.*.*..., so the 50.16.*.*, 50.17.*.*, and 50.19.*.* are not being used... That may change as more and more users start to use the service. With the recent GoogleTV app, that will probably happen very soon...

-Jason
  • r3dlink13r3dlink13 Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    Giano wrote:

Had same error on OSX.
    Resolved removing manually the old instance of plex media server in Library/Application Support/Plex and the helper too.
    It seems that some instances of the old versions remains and uses the same config files and/or ports.
    Just removed the app, restarted and putted the new media server in startup items.

Now it works nicely.

Hope it helps.

This solved it for me too. I removed the old plex media server, the plex helper, and the two plex helper config files. I also made sure the new plex media server is in the Applications folder, rather than replacing the old one in Application Support. No system restart was needed either. Just make sure to close plex and the media manager, and quit plexhelper from Activity Monitor before deleting/moving files.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I should probably mention that I manually set the port to 32400 which is forwarded by my router, in case that makes a difference.