Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

"Weather"?

wmbellwmbell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 452 Plex Pass
I haven't installed "Laika" yet, but does the "Weather" menu item still exist?
I watched the demos, by Boots, and I didn't see it in there.
«134

Comments

  • boots2xboots2x IP Challenged Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,184 Plex Ninja
    Weather is gone - as is the RSS feed, bookmarks and some others. We'll add these deletions to the wiki at some point shortly.

    James
  • alias_rexalias_rex Members Posts: 531 ✭✭
    Weather is gone? Boo.

    Bookmarks are gone? Boo.

    Talk about a kick in the nuts.
  • wmbellwmbell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 452 Plex Pass
    boots2x wrote:

    Weather is gone - as is the RSS feed, bookmarks and some others. We'll add these deletions to the wiki at some point shortly.
    James

    WTF?!? Sure seems like we LOST more than we gained, in this release!! Terrible market research, boys!
  • atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,200 Plex Ninja
    I assume you guys are kidding. If not, I'm not really sure what to reply to be honest.
  • wmbellwmbell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 452 Plex Pass
    atrus wrote:

    I assume you guys are kidding. If not, I'm not really sure what to reply to be honest.


    I'm NOT kidding.
    The Weather menu, and its floating "widget", was VERY convenient.
    It was another added feature that attracted users to Plex.

    Favorites? HELL YES, IT WAS USED!

    VERY disappointed in the Plex Dev Team. Probably the most upset I've been with Plex... So much, that I have no intentions of installing Laika, at this time.
    Great job getting all our hopes up, and then, stripping away all of the "extras" that many of us used!


    :angry::angry::angry:
  • atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,200 Plex Ninja
    wmbell wrote:

    I'm NOT kidding.
    The Weather menu, and its floating "widget", was VERY convenient.
    It was another added feature that attracted users to Plex.

    Favorites? HELL YES, IT WAS USED!

    VERY disappointed in the Plex Dev Team. Probably the most upset I've been with Plex... So much, that I have no intentions of installing Laika, at this time.
    Great job getting all our hopes up, and then, stripping away all of the "extras" that many of us used!


    :angry::angry::angry:

    Sorry to hear that. Plex is not a Weather application and never intended to be. It was one of those things that automatically just followed with the XBMC fork. If you feel that weather is a deal breaker for this media center application I totally understand if you do not want to upgrade. Thankfully you have the possibility to stay with the more stable 0.9.3.4.

    Favorites will be implemented in a slightly new way in a future release according to Elan.
  • pooploserpooploser Plex Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 958 Plex Ninja
    I use plex to watch movies and listen to music :) and i love it!
  • wmbellwmbell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 452 Plex Pass
    atrus wrote:

    Sorry to hear that. Plex is not a Weather application and never intended to be. It was one of those things that automatically just followed with the XBMC fork. If you feel that weather is a deal breaker for this media center application I totally understand if you do not want to upgrade. Thankfully you have the possibility to stay with the more stable 0.9.3.4.
    Favorites will be implemented in a slightly new way in a future release according to Elan.

    I wasn't suggesting that Plex was a Weather App. I was merely stating that it was used, and people could disable it, if they didn't want it. Now, the people that DID use it, can't. It's not a deal-breaker, but other new "features" might be.
    So far, 0.9.3.4 is still looking like the winner.



    pooploser wrote:

    I use plex to watch movies and listen to music :) and i love it!

    I do too--so does my wife and two daughters. Weather was just an added bonus for all of us.
  • rhammonsrhammons Members, Plex Pass Posts: 27 Plex Pass
    Add me to the list of users who found Weather to be a very useful/convenient feature in Plex. It shall be missed.
  • bpdesignbpdesign Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I used weather a lot also, hope they decide to put it back in
  • DreamoiseauDreamoiseau Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    No weather ? Too bad...:(
  • peterdgreenwaypeterdgreenway Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass
    I really don't understand why it has been dropped, I used the feature a lot. If you extend the argument why bother having the time displayed !
  • boots2xboots2x IP Challenged Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,184 Plex Ninja
    The reason it was dropped was that it is another set of features that had to be maintained, updated, fixed etc. Plex is a Media Playing application - not a Weather Station. Maintaining it past 0.9.4 would use resources that would slow implementation of other Media-related features - like Parental Controls. Sorry if that's disappointing!

    James
  • atrusatrus Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 11,200 Plex Ninja

    I really don't understand why it has been dropped, I used the feature a lot. If you extend the argument why bother having the time displayed !

    Let me extend what Boots just added by using the clock as an example. Such a simple thing as displaying a clock can go wrong. For example in these two first releases of the 0.9.5-series the clock for us 24-hour-clock-users is wrong. It can only who a 12 hour clock at the moment. It takes time to keep ALL code up to snuff. That is why certain things gets dropped. RAR-support is one of those things. Weather is now one of them. Maybe the clock will be in the future, even though I don't think so :)
  • saintjuste33saintjuste33 Members Posts: 264
    I use Plex Laika with the woody skin I'm coding at the moment and I still have a weather section as well as a settings item "weather".

    Are you sure weather is gone or is it just a skin specific choice?

    I'm using the Laika client as well as the new Media Server.
  • boots2xboots2x IP Challenged Ninja Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 1,184 Plex Ninja
    The underlying code may still be there but it's not being maintained by the Devs.

    James
  • jaxsedrinjaxsedrin Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass
    I support the devs on this one.

    Yeah, it was convenient, but there are plenty of other ways to check the weather, and I would much rather the devs work on fixing bugs and implementing other features.
  • PartyMummyPartyMummy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 135 Plex Pass
    edited November 2011
    Perhaps a weatherchannel.com plugin could supplement this?
  • swordsandtequilaswordsandtequila Members, Plex Pass Posts: 338 Plex Pass
    Here you go: http://www.weather.com/

    Works like a charm, 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week. Can even download a widget. Now quit your freakin' whining and let the developers work on "media" related issues.
  • wmbellwmbell Members, Plex Pass Posts: 452 Plex Pass
    atrus wrote:

    ...For example in these two first releases of the 0.9.5-series the clock for us 24-hour-clock-users is wrong. It can only who a 12 hour clock at the moment. It takes time to keep ALL code up to snuff...

    Why is it that the code for the clock changed? Isn't that pulled from the system time?
«134
Sign In or Register to comment.