If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex no longer working with Chromecast since update.

ChristianoFarChristianoFar Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Ever since the most recent update, I've bee experiencing 3 problems with Plex that I haven't had over the past 3 years.

1: I can't cast any media though plex. I get "Loading: Playback will begin in a moment". and the circle runs for awhile until it gives an error.

2: Not sure this is related to above, but when casting Plex server prior to playing a movie, I get a screen that says "Ready to Cast", but when I open a TV show or Movie folder on plex, the casted screen does not update to show what I've selected, or display the photo and description of the show as it used to.

3: I can't gain a direct connection to plex on my phone anymore, all devices connected to the same LAN. It says "direct connection unavailable" and I'm only able to get "indirect" connection. If I try to cast a movie from my phone, I get the same error as in #1.

I'm running 1.12.1.4885-1046ba85f on Windows 7, and have 2 Chromecast Gen 2s that both are having the same issue.

Solutions I've tried:

Reinstalling Plex Server, installing older version of Plex server, factory rest of chromecast, factory rest of modem & router, changing router DNS server, enableing/disableing secure connections in plex server

Is there anything else I can try to fix this?

Answers

  • plex-linuxplex-linux Posts: 281Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    i had a similar issue when chromcast first updated, for me the fix ended up being a upgrade to the plex app on my phone. after that and a reboot of the cromecast it has worked just fine. My guest is that your phone is up to date and this doe not apply to you but just in case i post it anyways

  • Deniska77Deniska77 Posts: 173Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Chromecast work ok with usual play films, music, pictures , but there is a big problem with plex channels (plugins), no more video to Chromecast from channels (for example iptv m3ua via Iptv.bundle)

  • Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    So sorry, I answered in another thread and suggested you create a post for this. But you already did. Oops.

    I can't gain a direct connection to plex on my phone anymore,

    Worries me, and seems unrelated to the chromecast issue. Can you get a direct connection from plex.tv/web?

  • ChristianoFarChristianoFar Posts: 8Members ✭✭

    Thanks for the reply @Dom C

    I am not able to gain a direct connection though Chrome browser, on my android phone though Plex.tv/web. I get the same message as I did though the Plex app.

    I tried on my laptop as well (Lenovo, running Windows 10) on the same LAN and get the same error as well, Limited connection, and only able to get an indirect connection. I also have the plex media server downloaded on my laptop, and i'm not able to gain a direct connection to my main Plex server on my desktop either.

    My LAN is run though an Asus RT-AC87R, haven't changed any of the settings that worked previously, though I did do a factory reset of it and reconfigure it back after this problem started to try and see if that would fix it. I've gone though most of the troubleshooting on not being able to gain a direct connection on the forums and made sure my router settings were in line with that. Hasn't seemed to fix anything.

    Open to any suggestions on things to try.

    Thanks

  • Dom CDom C Plex Employee Posts: 1,232Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

    I'll ask some folk with more experience than I over this side. That sounds very strange.

  • ChristianoFarChristianoFar Posts: 8Members ✭✭

    Ok thank you,. Hopefully the issues of being unable to cast are related to what ever is causing the inability to gain a direct connection, and its easily fixable with the router settings.

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,282Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member
    edited May 12

    @ChristianoFar said:
    Thanks for the reply @Dom C

    I am not able to gain a direct connection though Chrome browser, on my android phone though Plex.tv/web. I get the same message as I did though the Plex app.

    I tried on my laptop as well (Lenovo, running Windows 10) on the same LAN and get the same error as well, Limited connection, and only able to get an indirect connection. I also have the plex media server downloaded on my laptop, and i'm not able to gain a direct connection to my main Plex server on my desktop either.

    My LAN is run though an Asus RT-AC87R, haven't changed any of the settings that worked previously, though I did do a factory reset of it and reconfigure it back after this problem started to try and see if that would fix it. I've gone though most of the troubleshooting on not being able to gain a direct connection on the forums and made sure my router settings were in line with that. Hasn't seemed to fix anything.

    Open to any suggestions on things to try.

    Thanks

    You could try switching from the uPnP dynamic port allocation and forwarding to instead having a manually specified public port for each server and port forward that to tcp local port 32400 for each server.

    uPnP is not as reliable as manual port forward and routers do sometimes not respond causing issues to the PMS autommatic attempt to open a port and route to 32400

    Other potential issue is some security software / firewall blocking external requests coming into local port 32400. This may arise if suddenly your local network connection on windows 10 for example switched to being an Unidentified Network or classed as public

    My advice is the following

    • In the router set up DHCP Reservations for the PMS local IP addresses for each server (you may have already done that)

    • choose manually set public ports for each server, eg in example below will have tcp wan port 32450 for one server and 32460 for the other server

    • On each PMS, add this port rule to the firewall (this is an inbound port rule and does not specify any programs) : Inbound Port Rule, Protocol: TCP, Local Port: 32400, Remote Port:any, Remote IP: Any, Programs: Any, Scope: All profiles, Action: Allow
      Setup up port forwards as follows in the router

    • Server PMS1, Port Range 32450, Local IP (Local DHCP Reserved IP of PMS1), Local Port 32400, Protocol TCP, Add

    • Server PMS2, Port Range 32460, Local IP (Local DHCP Reserved IP of PMS2), Local Port 32400, Protocol TCP, Add
    • On PMS1 Server Setting for Remote Access Show Advanced, tick Manually Specify Port and enter 32450 and retry (click once - make sure 60 second gap between any retries)
    • On PMS2 Server Setting for Remote Access Show Advanced, tick Manually Specify Port and enter 32460 and retry (click once - make sure 60 second gap between any retries)

    Some routers may need reboot after changes

    If you continue to have problems, ensure debug logging enabled on the server, see https://support.plex.tv/articles/201643703-reporting-issues-with-plex-media-server/
    Restart server, select settings/server/remote access page, this should automatically result in a connectivity test - an inbound request would come in to test remote access
    capture screenshot and download logs
    See https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/
    Attach screenshot and logs zip plus screenshots of router port forward and dhcp reservations

    I presume you have already been through this support article
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/200931138-troubleshooting-remote-access/

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • RobAPRobAP Posts: 3Members ✭✭

    I am experiencing very similar issues after upgrading the Plex Media Server to version 1.13.0.5023.

    1) Cannot cast to Chromecast Audio (audio only) from Plex web app on Windows/Chrome: Plex can connect to Chromecast, but when I hit the play button the track does not play or advance. Cast to CC works from the Android Plex app however,
    2) Android app will now only connect "Indirect" to server which makes it very slow to respond.
    3) Sonos Play:1 can no longer connect to Plex server as a music source.

    Plex media server (PC), Android tablet, and Sonos Play:1 are all connected to the same wifi home network.

    All of these problems appeared after upgrading the PMS. It all worked 100% fine before upgrade. No changes were made to my wifi router settings. I tried rebooting the router, Chromecast, and restarted PMS but no help.

    Is it possible the PMS upgrade altered a setting within Plex that disabled local network access?

    Any suggestions appreciated (other than changing router settings - doubt that's the problem since all these issues only showed up after PMS upgrade).

    Thanks!

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,282Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @RobAP said:
    I am experiencing very similar issues after upgrading the Plex Media Server to version 1.13.0.5023.

    1) Cannot cast to Chromecast Audio (audio only) from Plex web app on Windows/Chrome: Plex can connect to Chromecast, but when I hit the play button the track does not play or advance. Cast to CC works from the Android Plex app however,
    2) Android app will now only connect "Indirect" to server which makes it very slow to respond.
    3) Sonos Play:1 can no longer connect to Plex server as a music source.

    Plex media server (PC), Android tablet, and Sonos Play:1 are all connected to the same wifi home network.

    All of these problems appeared after upgrading the PMS. It all worked 100% fine before upgrade. No changes were made to my wifi router settings. I tried rebooting the router, Chromecast, and restarted PMS but no help.

    Is it possible the PMS upgrade altered a setting within Plex that disabled local network access?

    Any suggestions appreciated (other than changing router settings - doubt that's the problem since all these issues only showed up after PMS upgrade).

    Thanks!

    With regards to casting from Plex Web to chromecast, is the outcome the same when using the hosted Plex Web App?
    Hosted Plex Web App is available through https://app.plex.tv/desktop
    Bundled Plex Web App is available from the server through http://127.0.0.1:32400/web or local IP
    would need server + web client app logs and indication of when it was done and the outcome

    see
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/201643703-reporting-issues-with-plex-media-server/
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/200250417-plex-media-server-log-files/

    https://support.plex.tv/articles/201611836-plex-web-app-logs/

    With regards to Indirect Connections - this is normally indicative of having DNS Rebinding Protection blocking access within the local network for Secure Connections through the plex.direct url and it invoked a Plex Relay connection because you do not have remote access working.
    Secure Connections are selected and would attempt to use the local IP plex.direct url - if that fails (eg DNS Rebinding Protection) then the remote access plex.direct is used and if that fails then Plex Relay is attempted

    If you set up remote access and get it to work, they would be direct connections (but may show as remote)
    If you resolve the DNS Rebinding Protection issue then local ip address would be used.
    See if the router has any option to whitelist plex.direct domain for DNS Rebinding Protection
    You could also try to disable Secure connections on the server and in the client apps where there is a setting for fallback to insecure, to change that setting to always fallback

    With regards to sonos, suggest raising issues on the other forum. There have been recent updates to the app
    http://forums.plex.tv/categories/sonos

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • RobAPRobAP Posts: 3Members ✭✭

    Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to fix the issues with Plex (PMS on Windows 10) not working with Chromecast, Android app (local access to PMS), and Sonos with one change: in the Windows Firewall settings ("Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall") I checked both Public and Private for Plex Media Server. After that Plex started working again. Is it possible that upgrading PMS changed the Windows Firewall settings? Plex was working fine before I upgraded the PMS, but I do not know what the Firewall settings had been when it was working. I noticed there are two entries for Plex Media Server in the Windows Firewall settings list of applications, is that expected? Anyway, all back to 'normal' now.

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,282Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @RobAP said:
    Thanks for your suggestions. I was able to fix the issues with Plex (PMS on Windows 10) not working with Chromecast, Android app (local access to PMS), and Sonos with one change: in the Windows Firewall settings ("Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall") I checked both Public and Private for Plex Media Server. After that Plex started working again. Is it possible that upgrading PMS changed the Windows Firewall settings? Plex was working fine before I upgraded the PMS, but I do not know what the Firewall settings had been when it was working. I noticed there are two entries for Plex Media Server in the Windows Firewall settings list of applications, is that expected? Anyway, all back to 'normal' now.

    The install program should be updating / creating the firewall rules. Rules for the following should be automatically added:

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex DLNA Server.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Tuner Service.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\PlexScriptHost.exe
    

    These are program rules and do not specify any ports

    On windows 10 sometimes the network connection switches to being Unknown Network or Public Network and this may also affect connectivity

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
  • RobAPRobAP Posts: 3Members ✭✭

    Thanks -- after the PMS update install, the firewall rule for C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe had only one box checked, instead of both Public and Private (and now I can't remember which), but I checked the second box to include both Public and Private firewall access and from then on Plex worked fine. The other three programs you listed all had both Public and Private checkboxes checked after the PMS update install.

    I had updated the PMS on Windows via a prompt from an Android tablet Plex app.

  • sa2000sa2000 Posts: 31,282Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Plex Team Member

    @RobAP said:
    Thanks -- after the PMS update install, the firewall rule for C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Server\Plex Media Server.exe had only one box checked, instead of both Public and Private (and now I can't remember which), but I checked the second box to include both Public and Private firewall access and from then on Plex worked fine. The other three programs you listed all had both Public and Private checkboxes checked after the PMS update install.

    I had updated the PMS on Windows via a prompt from an Android tablet Plex app.

    The rule is for the Private Network. Public tends to be locked down and you would need to allow it.
    You would not normally be on a public network unless for example your server is on an external network hotspot and you classed that as public

    On windows sometimes the network connection does not get classed correctly and ends up as unknown or public - has been seen to arise after some updates. See this one of many forum topic
    http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1616044/#Comment_1616044

    Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

    _______________________________________________________________________________________

    Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

    Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

    Please do not send logs by Private Message unless specifically requested to
     
Sign In or Register to comment.