Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Old version of Plex for PPC?

Pieter-JanPieter-Jan Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
Hi,

I have an old iMac G5 and I love PLex but is there a version witch runs on a PPC?

Thx, PJ

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 497Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hi, welcome Pieter-Jan

unfortunately, Plex runs only on Intel Mac under Leopard.
  • BlackstarBlackstar Posts: 275Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    If you just want to be able to play the media files, there is a version of MPlayer that PLEX and XBMC are based on that will word on the PPC machine: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18580/mplayer

You don't get the cool media interface though. ;)
  • pjmcdpjmcd Posts: 774Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Pieter-Jan wrote on Jan 18 2009, 05:19 AM:
    Hi,

I have an old iMac G5 and I love PLex but is there a version witch runs on a PPC?

Thx, PJ

Why not use Front Row with Perian? XBMC is looking for people to help with a PPC port so perhaps there's hope.

philip
  • Pieter-JanPieter-Jan Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass
    pmcd wrote on Jan 19 2009, 11:22 AM:
    Why not use Front Row with Perian? XBMC is looking for people to help with a PPC port so perhaps there's hope.

philip

Because I'm not able to make frontrow run with perian... :s
    In quicktime, no problem but when i use frontrow the moment the subs start, the screen freezes in frontrow..

Any suggestions?

Grtz PJ
  • dingding Posts: 21Members
    From what I have been told the next alpha release of xbmc will have a ppc version available. I am currently running xbmc on ppc which I built from trunk and it is running well on my G4 1.5ghz powerbook. Is there a possibility of a ppc version of plex in the future using the xbmc ppc fixes or is that too much of an ordeal? I know there are a lot of people out there with their G4 mac minis waiting for this. It probably wont play 1080p files(I haven't tried yet) but it plays SD files just fine.
  • poofyhairguypoofyhairguy Posts: 912Members
    ding wrote on Apr 23 2009, 09:26 PM:
    From what I have been told the next alpha release of xbmc will have a ppc version available. I am currently running xbmc on ppc which I built from trunk and it is running well on my G4 1.5ghz powerbook. Is there a possibility of a ppc version of plex in the future using the xbmc ppc fixes or is that too much of an ordeal? I know there are a lot of people out there with their G4 mac minis waiting for this. It probably wont play 1080p files(I haven't tried yet) but it plays SD files just fine.

Old cheap G4 minis are as cheap as retail ATVs and would be perfect for purely streaming media use.
  • iordoneziordonez Mayor of Plexville Posts: 2,293Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    It looks like XBMC just added support for PPC machines in their latest beta. If you have an older mini you might look there. At the moment the Plex team doesn't have too much interested in PPC machines as they aren't suitable for playing HD content.
    edited April 2009
    Well I wish you guys would reconsider in some near future date. Seeing as though Plex Media Server is Universal, I was hoping you guys would be up for it. Although I respect your decision I would like you to consider that a media center is not just about HD. I am not alone when I say that I just want a great app that can keep my music, videos and web content in one place and that the HD portion of it is not that important to me.

BTW When I said "a great app" I was also including XBMC.
  • Aargh-a-KnotAargh-a-Knot Posts: 454Members
    edited April 2009
    Well, I think you guys should start supporting BetaMax too! I've got a copy of "Romancing the Stone" that I really want to play, and I think you should do something about it. I mean, what am I paying you guys for?...oh, wait...

;)
  • guirecguirec Posts: 3Members
    First, I want to congratulate the team for the work done ; the interface is awesome and the functionalities are sensible ;-) IMHO you're designing what I consider/forsee to be the way we browse the internet in the future...ie with a 5 buttons remote control

I have 3 macs, a macbook (intel), a mac mini (intel) and an imac G5 ; and I must say that I was pretty disappointed when i realized you guys have chosen no to address that market....I guess you won't change your mind but as other members mentioned (and you should consider your members's opinions & feedbacks as they are your first sales guys) we're a lot out there !

ps : based in paris, I'd love to find a way to get access to US restricted streams, as well as French / Eureopean streams

/g
    edited May 2009
    Well even if there is no development interest have you guys incorporated the changes from xbmc yet? Is it possible for me to try to compile a ppc version myself? Or it this something that would have to have major changes in the plex code to become a reality?
  • jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,296Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    edited May 2009
    ding wrote on May 1 2009, 02:52 PM:
    Well even if there is no development interest have you guys incorporated the changes from xbmc yet? Is it possible for me to try to compile a ppc version myself? Or it this something that would have to have major changes in the plex code to become a reality?

Incorporating the PPC changes from XBMC would count as PPC development ;) We haven't pulled any PPC-related changes, in the same way that we haven't pulled Windows-related ones either.

It would require major changes to the code to create a PPC version of Plex - it's not as simple as just checking a box in Xcode :)
  • handsofhovishandsofhovis Posts: 3Members ✭✭
    edited June 2009
    IGNORE ME.. JAM SORTED ME OUT

would it be possible to just have client app that sits on PPC machines to allow streaming of non HD content such as iTunes or iPhoto? This may not require a major re write and allow older machines to be used as media servers for less demanding content. :wub:

itunes can share libaries between intel and PPC and also across different OSX. would it be possible to link them in a similar way?
  • qblakeqblake Posts: 2Members
    edited October 2009
    EVERYONE,

Really, Plex is just XBMC (PPC-Compatible) with the MediaStream Theme. Download XBMC and the mediastream theme and there's plex on PPC!

Look at the attached pic
  • sansnipplesansnipple Posts: 1,151Members
    edited October 2009
    poofyhairguy wrote on 23 April 2009 - 06:47 PM:

Old cheap G4 minis are as cheap as retail ATVs and would be perfect for purely streaming media use.

not really.... my mom has one of these and i have a similar g4 powerbook, and the processor is way too slow to play nice with flash video.

Hovis wrote on 27 June 2009 - 09:33 AM:

IGNORE ME.. JAM SORTED ME OUT

would it be possible to just have client app that sits on PPC machines to allow streaming of non HD content such as iTunes or iPhoto? This may not require a major re write and allow older machines to be used as media servers for less demanding content. :wub:

itunes can share libaries between intel and PPC and also across different OSX. would it be possible to link them in a similar way?

plex media server WILL run on ppc macs in order to share itunes/iphoto/aperture libraries stored on said ppc mac to another computer running plex, but only a copy of plex (on an intel mac) can access these shares, it wont work in the other direction.

Really, Plex is just XBMC (PPC-Compatible) with the MediaStream Theme. Download XBMC and the mediastream theme and there's plex on PPC!

id like to think we've done quite a bit to distinguish ourselves from xbmc espicially in the area of usability, but we do still have a long way to go and the fork was still recent enough for plex and xbmc to be 85-90% the same... but that 10% can make a huge difference. also, xbmc still requires as a bare miniumum a graphics card with openGL 1.4 support, which excludes a great deal of old ppc macs, maybe only leaving some of the newer g5s
  • atrusatrus Posts: 11,134Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited October 2009
    qblake wrote on 29 October 2009 - 09:57 PM:

EVERYONE,

I beg to differ. Plex and XBMC is starting to differ quite a lot. Sure the basics are the same, and the looks are very much the same if you use the same skin. But the OSX integration is much better in Plex.
    Some prefer Plex and some prefer "XBMC for Mac", and by saying that the two applications are the same is just wrong.
  • qblakeqblake Posts: 2Members
    atrus wrote on 29 October 2009 - 10:32 PM:

I beg to differ. Plex and XBMC is starting to differ quite a lot. Sure the basics are the same, and the looks are very much the same if you use the same skin. But the OSX integration is much better in Plex.
    Some prefer Plex and some prefer "XBMC for Mac", and by saying that the two applications are the same is just wrong.

srry

what i should have said is that XBMC is a ppc alternitive to plex
  • CkWebCkWeb Posts: 5Members ✭✭

I found a copy of version 0.8.5 here: https://anonfiles.com/file/f17a2847c86cb510fa303f982fc0bf9d

Hope this helps :)