Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Media Manager - Login

KalleDKKalleDK Posts: 73Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
Hola.. Thanks for the update to 0.9.5

I have a server with 32400 forwardet so I can connect from the outside world, and was used to manage my
videos via Plex Media Manager from other computers than the server itself.
Now when I connect I get a login prompt

"Plex Media Server requires a username and password"

I know the OSX server have a security tab, but where is the windows tab ? Or what is the password ?

Comments

• bullahbullah Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    I have the same question. I have tried numerous UN / Password combos that I assumed would work, but to no avail.

Logging in while at home works fine, both on the computer with PMS running and other computers on the network.

I do not see any options in Media Manager to create / edit / modify security settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!
  • bullahbullah Posts: 5Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 2011
    After following this guide, I was able to login from outside my network.

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/31552-stream-your-library-remotely/

I think it was because we needed to check the box 'Publish server to myPlex' in Plex Media Manager options.
  • sdjensensdjensen Posts: 39Members ✭✭
    I have the same problem. I tried to install plex media manager on my media server, but I can't connect to it from my iphone when I am not on my home network (port is open in firewall) and when trying to connect to the media manager in a browser I get prompted for username and password, but I can't see where to set this up? The server is setup with myPlex....
  • sdjensensdjensen Posts: 39Members ✭✭
    sdjensen wrote:

I have the same problem. I tried to install plex media manager on my media server, but I can't connect to it from my iphone when I am not on my home network (port is open in firewall) and when trying to connect to the media manager in a browser I get prompted for username and password, but I can't see where to set this up? The server is setup with myPlex....

I figured it out - I had to open the media manager through my plex then I don't get prompted for credentials.
  • jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,292Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    If you log in to myPlex, there's a link on the servers page that gives you access to your web manager. This will store the access token in your browser, so you'll be able to get to it after that without having to go via myPlex again.
  • mattbismemattbisme Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    What if we don't want to use myPlex? I feel like there should still be some way of setting this username/password.
    Has no one found a way?
  • jamjam Plex Dev Team Posts: 4,292Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass Plex Employee
    edited December 2011
    No, there isn't. The old username/password UI was removed in favour of using myPlex connections, as we don't want to support two separate authentication methods. This would add extra work on the server side, and in every client, as they'd need the auth code and a UI for both methods.
  • mattbismemattbisme Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    Hm, well perhaps my goal can still be met. The reason I was looking to set the login information was so I could use a static IP when managing media. Currently, using myPlex redirects me through my dynamic IP address. I want to be able to type in http://myip.com:port/manage/ to access the media manager. Right now I have the auth to go directly to my dynamic IP… but how do I extend that authorization token to my static address and avoid the login panel?
  • SpEnTBoYSpEnTBoY Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    jam wrote:

If you log in to myPlex, there's a link on the servers page that gives you access to your web manager. This will store the access token in your browser, so you'll be able to get to it after that without having to go via myPlex again.

Ok I'm missing something. I had to rebuild my media server box so I have a fresh install of PleX now. When I try to get to the web interface it prompts for a login, when I try to see servers through myPlex it says:
    You have no servers of your own published to myPlex. Just sign into myPlex from the Plex Media Server preferences, then refresh this page.

here's the caveat, I can't sign in to myPlex from Plex Media Server Preferences because I can't sign in to the Plex Media Manager in order to allow me to even click on the Server Preferences!! Is there a default user name and password? Because as of right now the only user name and password I have are for myPlex and they don't work in the initial sign in on the http://myhost.com:100/manage/index.html screen (I forward port 100 in to 32400).

Any ideas?
  • shillemshillem Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2011
    mattbisme wrote:

Hm, well perhaps my goal can still be met. The reason I was looking to set the login information was so I could use a static IP when managing media. Currently, using myPlex redirects me through my dynamic IP address. I want to be able to type in http://myip.com:port/manage/ to access the media manager. Right now I have the auth to go directly to my dynamic IP… but how do I extend that authorization token to my static address and avoid the login panel?

I've the same problem/concern.
  • TimCTimC Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass
    mattbisme wrote:

What if we don't want to use myPlex? I feel like there should still be some way of setting this username/password.
    Has no one found a way?

I agree. (what if you don't want to use myplex)

The interface is nice inside myplex and all that and I can understand why it was added, but i still think you should be able to auth against your own server.

The original auth code worked fine for me since the original iOS client was released.
  • I too agree and am looking for a way to do this as well. Would also be nice if there were a way to set this up for family to have the ability to login and view the content without having to install the media center.

TimC wrote:

I agree. (what if you don't want to use myplex)

The interface is nice inside myplex and all that and I can understand why it was added, but i still think you should be able to auth against your own server.

The original auth code worked fine for me since the original iOS client was released.
  • FredInITFredInIT Posts: 3Members
    I would have to agree - you have a web based management tool which runs on a private web server through port 32400. Seems to me it would be a simple sort of code extension to offer remote site management.

While on the subject - why doesn't the Plex Media Server actually install and run as a server service? That is what it is and how it should operate - not as a console (at login) app.

Just some thoughts.

FredInIT
  • spacegoosespacegoose Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass
    It would really be nice of the Plex team to add normal authentication again. Don't get me wrong... I really like myPlex and it works like a charm, but sometimes it would really be handy to have to possibility to just log in not using myPlex.
  • bastafidlibastafidli Posts: 20Members
    spacegoose wrote:

It would really be nice of the Plex team to add normal authentication again. Don't get me wrong... I really like myPlex and it works like a charm, but sometimes it would really be handy to have to possibility to just log in not using myPlex.

This is a real problem for me since it is asking for authentication when I am coming from a different subnet on a private network than the one where the Plex is installed. I have two subnets, wired and wireless. Plex is on wired network, browser is on wireless. If I try to access the management app from the wireless subnet, I am asked for authentication, even though I am still on my private network. Why is this? I should be able to access all my servers privately without going through myPlex/Internet? Please add a way how to disable this authentication.
  • I'd like to add my name to the list of users who want to see this authentication method come back. I understand that without a fair amount of work to encrypt the sending of the password between the clients and server there's a high risk of the passwords being nabbed out of cleartext. I understand that this is a liability concern for Plex as they move forward.

However, I'd like to see it come back as a "void your warranty" kind of feature. Obviously this feature still exists and is still functional - there is a thread on the forums about a guy who updated his Plex server from an old version. He had a password set up, and now the interface is gone for removing said password. But the server still forced him to enter a password to access his library. So it's there.

Why not give us a config file or xml file of some kind that we can feed manually into Plex with a disclaimer? That way only advanced users will be doing it: the kind of users who know the risks. Pretty please?
  • salazar44salazar44 Posts: 5Members
    yep... set up my dyndns webhop only to get the log in prompt. nothing works... only a nice little bounce animation when it doesnt like my credentials.
  • bastafidlibastafidli Posts: 20Members
    My wireless network is on separate subnet than the wired one. The server on the wired network requires authentication from all wireless clients if they try to access it directly. I had to resort to opening my firewall and use myPlex. I believe in addition to providing the option to define the authentication method, there shoul be also an option to define, which subnets are considered local and therefore do not require authentication. This also affects the quality of the recording. Even though I am on local network (just different subnets) the wireless clients were receiving only low quality media as configured per "remote network" option. I had to change this setting to receive higher quality. This setting will be of course incorrect once I leave my own home wireless network.
  • myf00tpeesmyf00tpees Posts: 2Members
    jam wrote:

No, there isn't. The old username/password UI was removed in favour of using myPlex connections, as we don't want to support two separate authentication methods. This would add extra work on the server side, and in every client, as they'd need the auth code and a UI for both methods.

I don't see why you can't have an option during install that asks you whether you plan on using myPlex or if you would rather set things up on your own. You could even label them as default and advanced. SO then the user would have only one authentication method running on that user's server (and other one just wouldn't install). I've used an older version of Plex until recently and for the last few days I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I'm unable to connect to my media remotely (even though my router and everything is set up right). Now I know why. Which is very unfortunate, because no offense to the Plex team (I LOVE your product), but I refuse to use myPlex. >in my opinion< I feel that it's an unnecessary security risk. Not only would the IP address to my computer be on the myPlex server, but the login as well. Which means that whoever has access to that info can get on my computer. Now I'M NOT SAYING that Plex would ever do such a thing, but I don't know them personally, so why would I give them the keys to my house? Right? Another thought is that they could get hacked in the future (which I hope they don't).

BEFORE you go bragging on how secure your network is, no network is 100% secure (unless it's not connected to the internet). See for yourself:
    http://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/81249-comodo-ssl-certificates-hacked/

Also, fast forward to 5:00 in this video and watch about 5 minutes worth (explains above article from different perspective).

I'm not trying to cause a scare here, I just like to have options. Especially since you used to be able to set up your own logins.
    edited February 2012
    myf00tpees wrote:

I don't see why you can't have an option during install that asks you whether you plan on using myPlex or if you would rather set things up on your own. You could even label them as default and advanced. SO then the user would have only one authentication method running on that user's server (and other one just wouldn't install). I've used an older version of Plex until recently and for the last few days I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I'm unable to connect to my media remotely (even though my router and everything is set up right). Now I know why. Which is very unfortunate, because no offense to the Plex team (I LOVE your product), but I refuse to use myPlex. >in my opinion< I feel that it's an unnecessary security risk. Not only would the IP address to my computer be on the myPlex server, but the login as well. Which means that whoever has access to that info can get on my computer. Now I'M NOT SAYING that Plex would ever do such a thing, but I don't know them personally, so why would I give them the keys to my house? Right? Another thought is that they could get hacked in the future (which I hope they don't).

There's certainly no technical reason we can't do that. But then we'd have to continue supporting both login methods in the server code. And implement both login methods in every client. And add user interfaces for controlling both login methods to the server, and also to every client. I understand your point of view, but to be honest, you're in the minority. Most users are perfectly content with using myPlex. We're a relatively small development team, and the cost in terms of time & work for supporting the aforementioned feature in every codebase outweighs the benefit it'd provide for the handful of people who'd actually use it.

If you really don't feel comfortable using myPlex, there's another option - you can disable security entirely and handle it yourself, using a VPN or SSH tunnel.