If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

RaspberryPi3 + Plex server + Subtitles = stuck at buffering

Hi all.
I have a RP3 running plex media server. Connected to it is a external hdd with all my media.
I mainly use the plex server locally (within my domain) on my TV running WebOS 3.0. Everything runs flawlessly, even .x265 4K movies until(!) I try add subtitles through the plex client.
Why is that? Does it have to do with transcoding? How do I get around this?

Answers

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,352Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes, it has to do with transcoding. Not many devices allow for SRT or embedded (as in MKV) text subtitles, so Plex has to transcode the text into the video stream.
    There's likely not a way around it other than to pre-encode any video for which you need subtitles into the video using a 3rd party application on an extra PC.

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.12.3.4973
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • wastebymattias@gmail.comwastebymattias@gmail.com Posts: 2Members

Thank you for your answer!
    I now used MKVToolNix to add the .srt to the .mkv. Works fine using vlc on my extra PC, meaning I can choose the sub to play within vlc.
    However, I do not seem to be able to configure it from the plex client. The only option I have is "English (PGA)".
    Do I have to enable something on the server or client?

• JamminRJamminR Posts: 3,352Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough - you may still require transcoding.
    Not all devices understand text streams, whether you have them inside the mkv, or external such as SRT.
    PGA is a type of subtitle separate from the main video. If whatever you are watching on still doesn't understand it and is transcoding, you'll still need to convert the text into a video stream combined with the video, just like Plex would do.

Server - HW: I7-4790K(Haswell), 16GB - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.12.3.4973
    Misc. HW: HDHR Extend + 2TB RAID1(Intel Z87) + 4x4TB RAID5(QNAP TS-653Pro)
    Shares - From: 2  - To: 18(5) - Potential lifetime PlexPass data generating product customer!
    ISP: ~20mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. xfer ~450gb)
    Search the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions.
    Plex stuff I favor - Tautulli - UASv3 - PlexEmail - FMoviesPlus
  • testplex1988testplex1988 Posts: 12Members ✭✭

@wastebymattias@gmail.com it's a plex fault that you can't direct play subtitles on your webos tv..
    I can play movies with subtitles without transcoding:
    1. with attached hdd
    2. trough dlna service
    3. with emby server
    4. and with xplay (custom webos plex app)

Only official plex app can't stream movie with subtitles correctly which is insane..