If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Apple TV, constant need to "Reload"

msinghmsingh Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,

I'm using the current version of the Apple TV as my main living room Plex front-end. My server is running via wired ethernet on a mac mini. Usually everything works fine, and I can stream 1080p movies and TV without issue.

My main question is about the Apple TV interface. I have this annoying issue where it seems I always have to instruct the Plex app to "Reload" in order for items to play quickly. If I don't, I see the following symptoms:

  • episode descriptions take forever to render, and sometimes don't render at all
  • starting the video will lag for minutes on end

If I go to "Reload", it usually solves the above, but it's a bit annoying because I end up using "Reload" whenever starting the app, and whenever I'm moving from one time to another (i.e. episode ended, let's start the next one, or switch to a different show).

For me "Reload" sounds like a re-synch with the server.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Answers

  • DamnedOneDamnedOne Posts: 31Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Yes, I have the same issues on both my Apple TVs (4 & 4K). My issue is sometimes worse. I see the UI reload automatically and then if I select something from the on deck, I get an error when going to the info screen. Go back and manually reload and it works. Additionally, when a video finishes it takes a long time to display the UI. It sits there with just the background, no text or images, for 10 seconds. My PMS is on Windows 10 running the latest beta. Apple TVs are on the latest client.

  • nookumnookum Posts: 73Members ✭✭

    I've been seeing this for a while now. If my AppleTV has been asleep or idle, or sometimes just after watching a program, attempting to click on another video will result in a Resource Loader Error. Clicking Reload fixes it, but it's a pain.

  • aapullinsaapullins Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    @DamnedOne said:
    Yes, I have the same issues on both my Apple TVs (4 & 4K). My issue is sometimes worse. I see the UI reload automatically and then if I select something from the on deck, I get an error when going to the info screen. Go back and manually reload and it works. Additionally, when a video finishes it takes a long time to display the UI. It sits there with just the background, no text or images, for 10 seconds. My PMS is on Windows 10 running the latest beta. Apple TVs are on the latest client.

    Having same exact experience. Running Plex server on a mac mini. I only get this issue when running on Apple Tv.

  • barddzenbarddzen Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 18

    I have a similar issue where I'll be watching a movie or show, pause it, then leave for a while (hours usually), then come back and I can play and resume the media I was watching, but I can't do anything else, meaning, if I choose to double-tap the Menu button the Plex app stays up, I'm not returned to the AppleTV home screen. Nothing I do gets me out of the Plex app.

    Even using the Apple remote app doesn't get me out.

    The only thing I've found that gets me off stuck is to play a movie on my phone and change the playback to AppleTV, stop, then everything seems to work fine.

    it appears that when the Plex app has focus and is paused, goes to sleep, something gets hung up from a control stand point.

  • ThePuppetMasinterThePuppetMasinter Posts: 37Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited April 18

    @nookum said:
    I've been seeing this for a while now. If my AppleTV has been asleep or idle, or sometimes just after watching a program, attempting to click on another video will result in a Resource Loader Error. Clicking Reload fixes it, but it's a pain.

    Same issue, such a PITA
    Except mine doesn’t care how long ago you used it. Resourse loader error pops up all the time. Reload always fixes but that’s not fun.

    Also having the issue as OP stated where descriptions take forever to load or files spinning for minutes on end. Backing out and clicking again fixes.

  • doughnetdoughnet Posts: 319Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    Sad no fixes yet.

    Speed Test:  http://stage.results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/511584024.png

    Plex Server Remote:  Dual Xeon X5650 (12cores/24threads@2.68GHz), 8GB memory, 240GB Crucial M4 SSD, 3x5TB storage w/ SSD Caching & 1GBit up/down dedicated WAN

    Plex Server Home:  AMD FX 8350 overclocked, 8GB 1866MHZ, 250GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD, 4x4TB Toshiba HDD

    TV: Sony 4K UHD XBR-55X850C

    Plex Clients: Roku 3

    Home PC:  AMD FX 8350 overclocked, 8GB 2166MHZ, RAID10 250GB Samsung 840 EVO & 2TB Seagate SSHD

    iPad Air w/ Plex

    2x iPhone 6 16GB White w/ Plex

  • nookumnookum Posts: 73Members ✭✭

    @ThePuppetMasinter said:

    Same issue, such a PITA
    Except mine doesn’t care how long ago you used it. Resourse loader error pops up all the time. Reload always fixes but that’s not fun.

    Also having the issue as OP stated where descriptions take forever to load or files spinning for minutes on end. Backing out and clicking again fixes.

    "Resource Loader error" Has been popping up like crazy recently. I wonder if it has to do with a recent server update.

    I also had a weird thing happen several times last night. I would start playing a video, and after about 20 seconds the screen would pop back to the episode description, then quickly to "Resource Loader Error" while the audio from the program continued in the background. Perhaps the server could not see that the video was already playing? It happened several times, even after I restarted the Apple TV. It also happened on a friend's remote server, and with the current public version of the Plex client and the beta version. After several tries it settled down.

    Plex for Apple TV has been getting more and more unstable of late.

  • nookumnookum Posts: 73Members ✭✭

    I suspect it's something to do with PMS version 1.12.3, since I was not having constant problems before I installed that version. I just downgraded my server back to 1.12.2 and will test it this evening.

  • msinghmsingh Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

    I don't think I've had a "Resource Loader error" message at any point. Might be two distinct problems.

    @nookum said:

    "Resource Loader error" Has been popping up like crazy recently. I wonder if it has to do with a recent server update.

    I also had a weird thing happen several times last night. I would start playing a video, and after about 20 seconds the screen would pop back to the episode description, then quickly to "Resource Loader Error" while the audio from the program continued in the background. Perhaps the server could not see that the video was already playing? It happened several times, even after I restarted the Apple TV. It also happened on a friend's remote server, and with the current public version of the Plex client and the beta version. After several tries it settled down.

    Plex for Apple TV has been getting more and more unstable of late.

  • nookumnookum Posts: 73Members ✭✭

    I downgraded to PMS 1.12.2 and the weird behavior I described earlier has abated. I still get Resource Loader Errors that require hitting Reload, though.

Sign In or Register to comment.